On yer bike!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Mike1973, Oct 23, 2006.

1. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Fair point about the modern cycling kit...

I'm dressed here in modern kit for the trials of road/off road work will throw at me, but it doesn't have the panache of the classic vintage gear that many of you have kindly shown (and looks amazing).

This was on a coastal cycle route 2-days-ago in glorious weather! But the Panama would never have stayed on sadly!! Plus the helmet is a life-saver in my book, so not sure 'how to' get around that one...

[​IMG]

2. Warden

Warden One Too Many

What ho chaps

Just been playing with the windows video software and made a little video clip up for a new web page I plan to publish soon, featuring us on vintage cycles at events.

[YOUTUBE]<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=56973485">Cycling through time</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=56973485,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=56973485,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Just in case the video clip does not work here is the link

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=56973485

I am ready for my close up now

Harry

3. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

Nicely don Harry!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

4. Warden

Warden One Too Many

Thanks old chap,

You know you just cannot beat two wheels.

Harry

5. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

6. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
    just fabulous!!

7. Leading Edge

Leading Edge One of the Regulars

:eusa_clap
    Truely:
    AWESOME!
    :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

8. Mike1973

Mike1973 A-List Customer

Nice little video Harry! Love the kiddies trikes! Drop me a line if you are interested in the sidecar we've got, our nippers are too big for it now.

9. Mike1973

Mike1973 A-List Customer

10. Warden

Warden One Too Many

Hello Mike

Thanks for the offer, but I am billy broke after driving round the country finding trikes for my little ones.

Thanks again

Harry

11. kampkatz

kampkatz Practically Family

Danny MacAskill is remarkably talented. His bicycle must be custom made?

12. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

*BUMP*

As it's such a marvellous thread, and now that summer has arrived...;)

13. chanteuseCarey

chanteuseCarey Call Me a Cab

thanks for the bump Paddy, I think I finally figured out at last what that means! duh me...

Sigh... seeing all the vintage bikes and home front pics are truly inspiring everyone! I don't even where to begin to look for a 1940s era bike tho! I'd need a pair of vintage pattern shorts for wearing under my dress..

With the minivan currently down for the count- it needs a new fuel pump (to the tune of $700.00 with parts and labor), I may decide to dig out my Raleigh out of the garage!

14. ron521

ron521 One of the Regulars

I still have a Triumph bicycle from the late 60's, which I used to ride along the bike trails around Chicago.

15. DannyBoy

DannyBoy New in Town

Try Faber's Cyclery 702 S. 1st St., San Jose, CA 95113. That's where I got a bunch of stuff to fix my bike up. It's one of those best kept San Jose secrets. It's an amazing bike shop built into an old saloon right under 280. The yard is stacked high with vintage bikes, and the inside is a shop/museum. There's a picture on the wall of the shop from maybe about 1910-1920 showing the interior - it hasn't changed a bit! Just be warned you might meet some rough or "salty" characters there, but everyone's really nice once you get to know them lol.

You might try craigslist too, but mostly I've just found stuff that's already restored and that people are charging several hundred dollars for. Not worth it in my opinion.

16. Velorbis "Short John"

Does anyone own one of these, they look so practical for carrying grocery items home"

"They are probably fearfully expensive, does anyone know of a similar, more economical alternative?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues My Mail is Forwarded Here

I have Panniers

something similar to these.

[​IMG]

18. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

19. Speedster

Speedster Practically Family

20. Warden

Warden One Too Many

Spent the weekend at the Royal Gunpowder Mills Home Front event. perfect for cycling, until my duaghters vintage tricycle fell apart.

Looks like I have another project this winter. :(

Harry