Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Leather Jacket to keep rest of your life?

Tunaygur

New in Town
What?

If you were only allowed to keep just one (and only one) leather jacket rest of your life what that jacket would be and why? (Would be even better if you have photos of it)

Background:

It's due time for me to optimize my leather jacket collection a bit and I was thinking about which one I like the most. It's not easy to answer for anyone. Also going forward I'd like to be more selective about what I buy into my closet, so I thought maybe it's a good idea to crowdsource some wisdom.

My Answer:

I really like the brown Aero Sheene that I got recently, probably I'd change my mind if I owned some of the Thedi's I want.

Disclaimer:

I searched but couldn't find a topic that's quite like this, there was another one that included fabric jackets but this one is strictly about leather jackets.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 140

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thank heavens I don’t have to get down to one. After some hard work, focus, & dedication lol, I have gotten the collection down to 14. A few gents here benefitted from my purge.

If you put a gun to my head the one that stays is my LW Trojan. The perfect jacket imo.

Now I own about 25 vests though. No bueno.

Tunaygur

New in Town

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Fwiw your tastes (probably) and your measurements (almost certainly) will change if we’re talking forever ever.
My guess is you mean the next 5 years.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
To be honest, of my current fleet of only 4 jackets - either of the two Langlitz Columbia's would take the cake. The one still in the Queue for production, later in 2024 will hopefully be that 5-10-15 year jacket. To wear one is to understand it in my view.

I do have an Indian Ranger by Aero that's been with me 3 years now. However it does not see as much usage these days.

I’ve never wanted more than 4-6 leather jackets in my closet at once. Realistically, I won’t likely wear more than 2-3 in a season (leather is weekend only for me, and a typical Chicago winter is not leather friendly). That said one leather jacket is an impossible proposition imo. You need at least two. Two is feasible.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just one leather jacket? Fortunately, I don't have to decide.
But if I did, I'd probably choose my D-1 Shearling.
I like to be warm in winter and shearling is my absolute favorite. I don't wear jackets in summer and I can bridge the short time between cold and too warm for jackets with something else.
If not shearling, then I keep my custom J-100.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
I am far from a single jacket myself, but if forced to part with my other leather jackets, the Fields Leather Car Coat in pigment Shinki would be the one I'd retain

Not a great picture but this is the jacket I grab more than anything else in my wardrobe

20240104_200638.jpg

Dbtk44

New in Town
To echo a few others here, I don't think I could realistically get along with just ONE leather jacket.
That said...if I absolutely had to choose just one, that would serve me well across the board, I think I'd go with my G-1.

Since it doesn't have a shred of insulation, it serves pretty well as a simple goatskin windbreaker in warmer weather, and as a riding jacket...and in colder temps (like 23°f/-5c this morning) theres enough room to comfortably wear a heavy sweater or fleece inside. The fur collar is always comfortable regardless of the temps, and the goatskin is practically indestructible and a breeze to maintain.

So...gun to my head? G-1.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Although I will not put it into practice, I sometimes think about this same issue: be more selective with my purchases, or with the jackets I have. My collection isn't very varied, I have x-zips Cals and Als, except for a couple of aviators and one Schott 613. If I come across one at a good price and in good condition, what I do? I just can't pass by. And I know it's a very small collection compared to what many fellas have here.

Now, answering to your question.... Well, the same I've said a moment ago, this Cal:
387ae5d0ace650318260f9b70be8aaec.jpg

Why? I had a hard time bringing it back from Australia. Everything had odyssey overtones: finding the ad, the transaction, the shipping and, above all, the payment of taxes at customs. That part was like a toothache and lasted like the birth of a mule.

This jacket retains the original zippers and has no damage that ruins it, only age wear.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
IMG_2750.jpeg

Well, realistically speaking I would have a hard time downsizing to 10 jackets only. BUT if my life depended on it (like I was mugged at gun point but the mugger was also a bit generous and let me keep one jacket of my choice) I would keep this Thedi.

zebedee

One Too Many
Brown Aero Highwayman. First jacket that I ever bought, and still the best. A close second would be the Maxwell in tumbled cordovan. I really think that these are Aero's best two patterns.

If I could alter anything about the Highwayman, it would be the weight of the hide - I'd definitely choose mid-weight HH if I had my time again. Like a lot of folks here, I have about ten leather jackets. I once managed to shift all but five, but the number crept up again. Three is optimal - in my case, I'd pick the Highwayman (brown HH), the Maxwell (tumbled cordovan HH) and a Café Racer (in Blackened brown Vicenza). For me, that would cover the styles and lengths that fit and are most flexible for wearing with other clothes I own.

The 'one jacket forever' question is only really a problem when the second has already been bought. After two, three is inevitable and then you'll look at a style that you'd never normally consider. Then it's four.

Café Racers are a great style, but would you want to be wearing a black one in old age? I don't know, but a Maxwell or a Stockman would probably be more fitting. Strokes for folks...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner