Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One More Time

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
When you query Insurrection regarding hides, I think you will find they have a preference for Horween CXL steerhide. Given that you have a Vanson in competition weight steerhide and really like it, I believe you are tilting in that direction. I have tried on a Vanson Enfield in competition weight steerhide and will say it ain't bad at all (my way of saying I liked it). Honestly said though, my favorites are brown smooth FQHH (my Teamster - love the color, texture, and feel) and black goatskin (my Maxwell). I also have a Mulligan in brown MWHH. If I were to go through Insurrection, I would probably go with their Italian MWHH that they send to Aero to be used that results in a ~20% upcharge that would probably be worth it to me but perhaps not others. [huh] That is only if I were to choose MWHH. I suspect you will go with the CXL steer. The main downside might be the additional weight which might not be a factor at all for you. I know that PL said his wife was negative about wearing horsehide, but to the best of my knowledge horsehide does not come from horses that have been slaughtered, at least in the US. If I were to buy a HWM now, I would likely go with either brown or cordovan FQHH, but that is just me, not you.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Aero have different weights of steerhide. My HWM is not the heavyweight steer, but much softer drape while still as thick as fqhh. I'd suggest speaking to Thurston/ Aero about the properties you'd like in a hide, and see what they recommend.

Aaah...there are so many hides available especially through Insurrection. Just take the time to browse through their vendor thread on this forum and check out the jacket photos. There are also some very nice linings displayed as well.
I too certainly like Vanson's competition steer on my Enfield..however I do think the way that it is finished is kinda unique to Vanson..or at least I haven't noticed another steer that quite compares from the big three or four elite jacket companies.
Another advantage is: Carrie has seen many jackets come through her shop from Vanson..Aero and others and seems to have a good eye about what may be the best suitable for certain jacket models. Of course 'fit' should absolutely be the primary concern...but then the hide and lining can offer a great presentation (some much better than others). That's what's so great about Insurrection's affiliate section..the pics speak for themselves. Want one short and tight?..there are photos. Longer in sleeves and body?..also featured. Get a try on jacket..try it on..then tell Carrie..I want it to fit just like the one on page # whatever. Or maybe she would send you fit pics of only Highwaymans if that model is your only preference. In any event..if they can't get you into a great fit..I don't know who can...[huh];)
HD

Plumbline

One Too Many
. I know that PL said his wife was negative about wearing horsehide, but to the best of my knowledge horsehide does not come from horses that have been slaughtered, at least in the US.

Most of Horweens Horsehide is German and Western European in origin ( size of hides and lack of scarring beiing the main factors .. the shells are the important part and the part with most value so decent sized shells with minimum scarring is the main drive which is why they don't use mongolian or North / South American hides).

Horses in Europe and North America cannot be farmed for their hides .. unlike say Mongolia / China and other areas. I don't think it's how they are aquired that is the issue Fanch ... more the fact I'm wearing a dead horse :)

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Just put the order in with Carrie and paid the deposit.
I mailed my jacket to her this morning so she can measure it and make adjustments for the new one.
I really think the fourth time is the charm! :D
BTW, I'm gonna go for brown CXL Steerhide.
I'll ask Carrie if they have different weights.
If you have pix of Aero's CXL steerhide, post em up.
Bonus points for close-ups.
Lenny

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
The CXL in steer is a thick, tough hide. It will take a while to get it broken in, but will look really nice as it ages.

Is Carrie going to send you a test jacket or just go from the jacket you sent her?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
She's just gonna go from the jacket I sent her.
It really minimizes risk as I know exactly how I want to alter it.

OEM she has forgotten more than any of the rest of will ever know about getting just the right fit. I'm sure she is aware exactly what it is about the fit of the jacket you are sending her that is problematic.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did you get some "before" pics of you wearing the jacket you sent, it would be nice to have a comparison when the new better fitting version comes in.

pawineguy

One Too Many
OEM she has forgotten more than any of the rest of will ever know about getting just the right fit. I'm sure she is aware exactly what it is about the fit of the jacket you are sending her that is problematic.

+1 - a lot of people don't realize what a skilled craftswoman she is in her own right.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The CXL in steer is a thick, tough hide. It will take a while to get it broken in, but will look really nice as it ages.

The Board Racer that I'm agonising over in my other thread turns out is CXL Steerhide. TBH I thought it was horse...it doesn't feel any heavier or thicker than my other FQHH jackets. Maybe its from a thinner batch? But I really cannot tell its thicker or heavier even though I'm now looking for it....

The colour is ever so slightly different to my brown FQHH jackets though...a slightly redder tinge to it....it is very very nice and while I've become a HH snob since joining the lounge, I can definitely say that steerhide is just as nice and not the unmanageable heavy beast that I would have expected from descriptions of steerhide I have read here, again, this might be a lighter batch?? Ask Carrie

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
The Board Racer that I'm agonising over in my other thread turns out is CXL Steerhide. TBH I thought it was horse...it doesn't feel any heavier or thicker than my other FQHH jackets. Maybe its from a thinner batch? But I really cannot tell its thicker or heavier even though I'm now looking for it....

The colour is ever so slightly different to my brown FQHH jackets though...a slightly redder tinge to it....it is very very nice and while I've become a HH snob since joining the lounge, I can definitely say that steerhide is just as nice and not the unmanageable heavy beast that I would have expected from descriptions of steerhide I have read here, again, this might be a lighter batch?? Ask Carrie

My CXL steer HWM is a thick hide at about 4 oz., and weighs in at 7.5 lbs. My current Sheene in CXL FQHH, 3 oz., is much lighter in weight at 4.5 lbs. The HWM is about 7 or 8 years old, so that may well be the difference. Heavier steer then, than what is being used now?

For comparison purposes, my Vanson competition steer weighs in at 7 lbs.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
IMG_1297.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

Ask and ye shall receive.
Oh, in the first pic, I'm leaning back ever so slightly so the jacket looks even shorter than it really is.
I'm asking for the following:
+2" on length
+1" on sleeves
+.5" on shoulders
-1" on waist hem (-2" total)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo