Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One-of-a-kind 1940's record player playing Nat King Cole

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Unique record player I've never seen before I got this one: It's a "VICTROLA"-like portable (actually a Phonola Dynacoustic), but with a direct linkage of the needle to a speaker cone, for richer bass sound with no electricity. Guessing 1940's, post-war.

Playing Nat King Cole, same era: Check out that bass solo:

[YOUTUBE]VzU1AX3QOsw[/YOUTUBE]

- CH

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Thanks, guys.

ScionPI2005 said:
Where did you find it?

It was made by Waters-Conley Mfg. in Chicago, and I bought it from a dealer in Indiana, on The Big Online Auction Site. (No one else besides me even bid on the poor thing.)

Yeah, I used to get great stuff locally as a kid; now even local antiques dealers frequently put "specialty" items like radios directly on eBay; they just get better money for them that way. Sad but true; that's how I sell the players I sometimes restore for re-sale... (but this one's a definite keeper)

- CH

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Cousin Hepcat said:
Thanks, guys.

It was made by Waters-Conley Mfg. in Chicago, and I bought it from a dealer in Indiana, on The Big Online Auction Site. (No one else besides me even bid on the poor thing.)

Yeah, I used to get great stuff locally as a kid; now even local antiques dealers frequently put "specialty" items like radios directly on eBay; they just get better money for them that way. Sad but true; that's how I sell the players I sometimes restore for re-sale... (but this one's a definite keeper)

- CH

Do you realize that it's an all solid-state device ? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24