Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One reason why I would never buy from LOST WORLDS..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't care what anybody says. I am ordering one today.

MachoMan.jpg
icon14.gif

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Too bad!

I hate to say it but the guy makes some good points. I am pretty upset that the Aero B-3 I just bought apparently makes me a gay nazi or something but if old man Lost World says I am I guess I must be. I have decided to send my Aero back (I imagine they will take it since they have superior customer service) and buy a LW B-3. I know the LW cost about twice as much and seems to offer no appreciable advantage but I can't take a chance on being a vain, gay nazi so I will.

Tibor

One of the Regulars
It strikes me like sort of a J. Peterman catalog on acid. The guy wants to spin some testosterone image and to flame his perceived critics.

Sorry, not interested; either in his self-important big-city rants or supporting his business. Perhaps more "lost" than I'd previously thought...

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
That poster ad is hilarious!:eusa_clap

Well, I don't know if I'd ever buy from this guy to begin with, rather get an Aero or vintage. He reminds me of AtTheFront, but just a bad version. Now that guy on AtTheFront has some good rants! (which you know are rants to begin with and are funnier and more tasteful personally).

piranha

New in Town
I have a "Buco Rider" in black HH from Lost Worlds and it's great. i like the combined old and new look but the damn horsehide is the hardest stuff to break in.

His rants and ads are based on the Nixon saying, "it doesn't matter how they speak about you, just so long as they're speaking about you."

Jabos

A-List Customer
I own an LW A-2 and an Eastman A-2. The LW is much thicker leather, and probably would last two lifetimes. However, it is not like my original A-2 in the Avitar. The Eastman is a thousand times closer to the original in color, thickness, etc. I think the LW is tougher than the original but the Eastman, for better or worse, is more "original", perhaps less durable, but is like slipping on an old friend.

So, I may now be a gay Nazi (Call me Ernst Rohm if you want Stu) but I like my Eastman better! I'm off to prance in front of the mirror with my Eastman on right now, while listening to show tunes . . .

jac

Familiar Face
Three things I know;
1: There's no genius there.
2: I won't finance hatred.
3: Screaming homophobes are invariably closet-cases.
Preying on insecurity is it's own reward, and it's playing out on eBay right now.

jac

Familiar Face
I recently visited someone whose behavior made me think of the things we're taking exception to in regard to this character. Kind of sad really.

Perhaps this is someone who's just not well.

The person who served as a reminder didn't used to behave this way.
The culprits could include stroke, paranoia, dementia.

No excuse, but maybe a reason. If I should ever get like that I hope the gov't will be well past punishing people for self-medicating.

On the other hand, perhaps someone should approach him about making a Hermann Goering model. It would go nicely with a riding crop.

Is that Liza Minelli?

I Simonius

New in Town
jac said:
Perhaps this is someone who's just not well.

The person who served as a reminder didn't used to behave this way.
The culprits could include stroke, paranoia, dementia.

No excuse, but maybe a reason. If I should ever get like that I hope the gov't will be well past punishing people for self-medicating.

On the other hand, perhaps someone should approach him about making a Hermann Goering model. It would go nicely with a riding crop.

Your astute points underline the fact that we should not allow ourselves to indulge in denigrating his character but confine our opinion to whether we would buy from him or not.;)

jac said:
Is that Liza Minelli?

Now we're talking!;) :D

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Some of his rant is an obvious and somewhat understandable backlash to the world of vintage flight jacket message board/s, repro jacket vendor blurb, etc., where much disinformation and many suspended realities lurk.

There are many "factoids" based on observations of contemporary product and a contrived defense of what the vendors are actually providing, rather than any exercise in critical thinking over their shortcomings in materials and accurate duplication and depiction of the real thing. It is very easy to make a product to suit your resources and market it as "authentic".

I can understand that backlash but at the same time, he is creating and propagating his own propaganda, rather than actually disseminating any truths and enlightening his reader. Some folks use their mouth, rather than their eyes, are unable to do their own research and see for themselves.
Jump on the misinformed bandwagon and praise the Lord.
This has been observed with fans of all the makers of repro flight jackets.
Buying an expensive flight jacket repro, it seems, is perhaps more of an emotional investment than it is a financial one and that purchase decision will be defended until the death.

Perhaps he chooses his mood and words badly, for a businessman.
Unrelenting, misguided, amusing.

He definitely does make quality product but some of his styling is not very pretty and some of his jackets forfeit their own function and utility by being simply too heavy. A "bulletproof" leather jacket- who needs one?

That is my opinion.

B
T

Edward

Bartender
piranha said:
His rants and ads are based on the Nixon saying, "it doesn't matter how they speak about you, just so long as they're speaking about you."

I think dear Uncle Oscar got in there first - "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."

Jabos said:
I'm off to prance in front of the mirror with my Eastman on right now, while listening to show tunes . . .

lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm from a family of the sort of people LW seems to admire: my father was a bull rider, my brother was a heavy equipment operator at one time, my sister was a biker. Nearly everyone in my family knows how to make, grow or fix things. Those who are the real deal don't shout it from the rooftops, as this guy does. On the contrary, the men in my family love things like little dogs and growing flowers--they don't feel a need to prove anything.

This man should start his own blog so he can pontificate on how soft we all are without driving away customers.

mattfink

Practically Family
Never dealt with him, but he sounds more like the comic book nerd than anyone on TFL. I personally think is website is difficult to navigate and his photos aren't that convincing of spending a lot more for his goods. Looks like a 5th grader did the site for him.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
mattfink said:
...comic book nerd ...
I love old comic books and some newer ones...why, when Jack Kirby said he was leaving the Fantastic Four things were never the same again.... it was Steve Ditko all over again ;)

paisley - i am with you! i grew up in a family of fathers, policemen, hard working people taking care of their families and never spoke about the crap they experienced every day. they just worked and loved their wifes and kids.

hope i can do the same and if the work is done the world will look at me just like that.

my ancestors in prussia had a word for it: "see through it and tell the truth"

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
stephen1965 said:
I love old comic books and some newer ones...why, when Jack Kirby said he was leaving the Fantastic Four things were never the same again.... it was Steve Ditko all over again ;)

Kirby was at his best if he had Joe Sinnott inking, but I thought John Buscema did a pretty good job. And Romita's Spiderman, although never as iconic as Ditko's, was always excellent IMO.

Ditko, he was an eccentric chap too ............ Objectivism, Mr A. .............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner