Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Only Angels Have Wings

klind65

One of the Regulars
One of my favorite films. Recently, I was reading a delightful book, called " People Will Talk" by John Kobal. It's simply a collection of interviews he held with actors/actresses from the Golden Era and I remember the interview with Jack Cole ( dance director) wherein he spoke extensively about Rita Hayworth. (He had worked with her on most of her dance numbers at Columbia) According to him, the scene with Cary Grant where she is washing her hair originally called for her to do a drunk scene but at that early point in her career, it was beyond her, so they made the alteration that you see in the film. In the end, I thought she did a great job. By the way, the interview with Howard Hawks contains a great deal about the film as well.

Baron Enski

Familiar Face
The name of the only angels have wings jacket ?

Hello

I would like to no if anyone knows the proper designated name of the jacket worn by Cary Grant in Only Angels Have Wings its not an A1 jacket its an navel aviators jacket . I have various pictures of actual navel or marine pilots wearing the same type of jacket.
If you look at the collar , theres a differance between that and the A1 looks more like the collar of the Ma1, its not just the hight of the pockets. Sorry no pictures , can anyone out there help?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
angels5.png

angels4.png

angels3.png

angels2.png

angels1.png

We are pretty certain it is an A-1.

thor

Call Me a Cab
The Indian chief logo painted on the back of the jacket is the U.S.103rd Aero Squadron from WWI.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
It's the naval-type (rather than USAAC) A-1, so it's a 37J1, or version of one - again, like the A-1 there were different manufacturers with different detailing.

Baron Enski

Familiar Face
Thank you Dr H
at least ive got a name or number for it now,great pictures by the way!!!!
I dont think navel or marine aviators would want to wear an army jacket on their backs and vice verse

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
You're right Baron, the services maintained quite discrete jacket requirements until ca. 1942-3 with the short-lived introduction of the AN-J-3 (in an attempt to satisfy both requirements with an A-2 type jacket with a bi-swing back). This failed to meet with favour and the USAAF went down the cloth B-10 route and the USN down the goatskin AN-J-3A route.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Here's a relevant thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?44154-20s-Navy-Leather-Jackets&
In which the BuAer 37J1 - based largely on the A-1, but with the mid-chest pockets and several different knit collars (varsity style (non-buttoning); single button; single snap; and double button) was superseded by the 37J1A (in bedford cord).

Note the colour image (down the page) of what appears to be an olive drab capeskin 37J1 - very unusual if authentic, but apparently on the spec. sheet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo