Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oops! Did that just come out of my mouth?!

atomicfabulous

New in Town
I work part time at a drive through Starbucks...the other day when I was reading an order back to a customer I said "O.K., swell, we'll see you at the window." At the same time, three of my partners looked at me and said (almost in unison!) "Did you just say SWELL!?" I use bygone words and terms all the time, so I was wondering if anyone else says things that cause jaw dropping and staring from the unvintagified public?

Mojito

One Too Many
"Gad" or "Gads" tend to raise eyebrows.
Cat's Miaow/Pajamas likewise.
And I've found it pays to be careful when blithely talking about someone 'swanking' around.

The biggest danger is when I've spent a bit of time transcribing Edwardian letters. Suddenly phrases like "awfully jolly" and "I was just wild when I found I'd missed you!" start tripping merrily into casual discourse.

Fortunately I've yet to slip into using "beastly". Yet.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I don't think abreast is out of use except it is the kind of workd most people aren't well spoken enough to use or know what it means. BUt not the same as an outdated slang word.

I do like swell but would feel funny using it because it isn't natural for me. It would be too deliberate if I said it. I do on the other hand sometimes say fellows or fellow or fellah, without thinking about it.

I also will occasionally say eye chihuahua. It used to be eye caramba, but bart simpson made it too popular. I like these words because they are kind of vintage mexicany. Also Eye Maria, or eye dios mio, preferably while clasping the hand to side of the cheek.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

jamespowers said:
I like Sport better than Pal but I used to use it much more often than I do now. Probably due to the looks I would get when I used it. :D

Regards,

J
I forgot that one. I use it more in print than in person, but occasionally, it just slips out, but it's always "Old Sport," as an homage to Gatsby.

Rosie

One Too Many
I've taken to saying fidilee dee (is that how it's spelled? [huh] ) after watching Gone With the Wind one too many times. Another thing I say, though not very vintage that usually crack people up, instead of Oh Poo (the "dirty" version) I say Oh, oh Sheila, like that old song: (Oh, oh Sheila, let me love you to the morning dawns).

GOK

One Too Many
Gosh, oh my, oh my goodness, egads, oops....I use these all with regularity. And I use beastly quite a bit too.

I love 'heavens to Murgatroyd' Tony - it's fab! lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
My ex girlfriend and now good friend and I watched life with father with William Powell.

We love to say "Oh Gad!" in a very loud expressive way. Nothing quite like it.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
"Nertz"...that takes me back to the '70's!!!

I use that all the time.

And yes, I do say "swell"!
and "Gadzooks!".
and "Zounds!"

Much of my cursing is done in German! Much more of it is done in Southern American English! We like to make one-syllable words into two-syllable words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot