Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Road Brim Widths

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
Virtually all of the OR's I have owned or seen have a brim width right at 2-1/2" more or less. I happen to have one that is pushing 2-7/8" all around and was wondering if this is just a fluke or if there was a way at one time when one could order a different brim, or? Way too much time on my hands this a.m.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Redhawks2,

I have two felt Stetsons marked "Open Road" and another 3X felt that isn't so marked but appears identical to the other two. Just measured the 3X OR I wore to work this morning. The brim is just a hair under 3". I'll check the other two tonight, but I think they are both the same width. Ah, the endless mutations of the OR!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
redhawks2 said:
Virtually all of the OR's I have owned or seen have a brim width right at 2-1/2" more or less. I happen to have one that is pushing 2-7/8" all around and was wondering if this is just a fluke or if there was a way at one time when one could order a different brim, or? Way too much time on my hands this a.m.

I posted a pic of an O.R. with a brim width of 2 7/8, and Lefty posted an ad from the early '50s that advertised that as the brim width for Open Roads.

Justdog

Practically Family
redhawks2 said:
I would say you had a choice of brim size. I base this on the fact that I have a few vintage paper hat receipts with the particulars and check boxes for long oval mid oval round oval. Then there are typed specifications as Brim width 2 7/8 2 5/8. I have a couple of those order specification receipts. I agree as well with all the measurements measure here. 3 -2 1/2. Most of my OR.s are 2 7/8(older ones being closer to 3. My recent one states 2 3/4 on the service code receipt. Also the point of similar Stetsons to open roads is true for me. A 15 3x beaver (40-50)and more recent (60s) 3x are exactly like my stamped ORs.

Jerry Herships

New in Town
I have a vintage Open Road and the brim is 2 1/2. Never seen one this small these days but LOVE IT. (And always get compliments on it.)

I wish they all came with a 4” crown and a 2.5 brim…that is a sweet spot for me.

I cut down a gray (Caribou) O.R. and put a wider black hat band on it and always get comments.

Think Stetson would sell a ton in this configuration (and, apparently did at one time.)

Thanks to all for helping feed my obsession.

Nice to know I’m not alone…

I have a vintage Open Road and the brim is 2 1/2. Never seen one this small these days but LOVE IT. (And always get compliments on it.)

I wish they all came with a 4” crown and a 2.5 brim…that is a sweet spot for me.

I cut down a gray (Caribou) O.R. and put a wider black hat band on it and always get comments.

Think Stetson would sell a ton in this configuration (and, apparently did at one time.)

Thanks to all for helping feed my obsession.

Nice to know I’m not alone…

The problem for the manufacturer is not having to make 1,000 different models of hats and still covering as much of your market as possible. I personally want the current Open Road to have a wider brim (3+ inches) and a lot taller crown. The expected return on investment just doesn’t support making a wide variety when the hat market is so small these days.

The Open Road with a raw edge (cut down brim) and a wide black ribbon isn’t an Open Road any more. Did you look at the Temple or some of the other offerings?

Jerry Herships

New in Town
The problem for the manufacturer is not having to make 1,000 different models of hats and still covering as much of your market as possible. I personally want the current Open Road to have a wider brim (3+ inches) and a lot taller crown. The expected return on investment just doesn’t support making a wide variety when the hat market is so small these days.

The Open Road with a raw edge (cut down brim) and a wide black ribbon isn’t an Open Road any more. Did you look at the Temple or some of the other offerings?
Absolutely.

But I like the cattleman’s crown.

I have a number of Temples…also awesome.

But the shorter brim, Cattleman, wider band…kinda dig it.

But you’re right.

Not an Open Road.

Absolutely.

But I like the cattleman’s crown.

I have a number of Temples…also awesome.

But the shorter brim, Cattleman, wider band…kinda dig it.

But you’re right.

Not an Open Road.

I don’t think of the cattleman’s crease when I think of the Open Road. I much prefer when they come open crown and you can shape as desired. The current Open Road with the machine pressed crown shape just doesn’t fit me right. I’ve wanted to get one of the newer “Pure” hats, but they just don’t work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy