Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Road just arrived...

TomS

One Too Many
Hi folks:
Recently a forum regular was kind enough to sell me an Open Road (Thanks!). I understand it may be from the mid 1950's, and it seems to be in very nice original condition. I took some quickie pics for you guys to have a look at. I hope you guys like it!
IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

DSC_2454.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Best,
TomS

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
One observation about Open Roads seen here:

The crown height varies a lot, not due to the original design, but because so many of them have changed hands here that began as smaller hats and are now larger. That space has to come from somewhere.
In some ways, when we take a hat that is a smaller size and womp it up a few skull notches, we're ruining the original hat. It can dramatically alter the brim width and crown height.

(this one is nice. Sorry to rant!)

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
That is one NICE hat. Here it is in action last year in Monteagle at the High Point with some rather shady characters named Ken & Rusty...
HPhats1.jpg

shady is an understatement.. me thinks that this gang was made an offer they couldn't refuse ;)

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Notwithstanding its being the "hat of Presidents," I've never been that big a fan of the Open Road for myself because it's still too Western--basically a conservative cowboy hat.

However, replacing the traditional cattleman's bash with a diamond, especially this one with its two looooooong top creases, looks fantastic and has given me completely different take on the OR.

In other words, I want one just like it!

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
AlterEgo said:
Notwithstanding its being the "hat of Presidents," I've never been that big a fan of the Open Road for myself because it's still too Western--basically a conservative cowboy hat.

However, replacing the traditional cattleman's bash with a diamond, especially this one with its two looooooong top creases, looks fantastic and has given me completely different take on the OR.

In other words, I want one just like it!

I brought an OR Clone over here to Kabul (left the regular ORs back home) and wear that around the military camps. One of the guys in the office has been inundating one of the interpreters with John Wayne DVDs...and that has led to various discussion amongst all of the interpreters about cowboy stuff. I get a lot of questions from the interpreters if my hat is a cowboy hat. I explain it is a western style fedora...which I think is a fitting description, especially for one with a tear drop bash (I always take the cattleman crease out of any OR type hats I come across). It is kind of sitting on the border of the two types, in some respects.

Bernie

AlterEgo said:
That hat was 1 of 3 from the same estate. All 3 had a unique crease to them, higher in the rear, coming to a tighter pinch up front than a typical cattleman, sort of like a Garth Brooks crease. I didn't care for it at all in an OR. Here are some more shots of the crease I went to...
PICT0040.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

Hope TomS enjoys a long relationship with this nice lid!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

TomS

One Too Many
Thanks for the kind words, fellas! I'm plannning on keeping this lid for a long time. I'm thankful that Tom passed it along with that great crease intact!
Best,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters