Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Open Road" mania

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The price certainly seems good to me. I just aquired another Mallory for fifty-six and I pretty happy with that.
Did they start with a thinner ribbon or the thicker or are those two different models you're showing?

DOUGLAS said:
The price certainly seems good to me. I just aquired another Mallory for fifty-six and I pretty happy with that.
Did they start with a thinner ribbon or the thicker or are those two different models you're showing?

Those are two different ads. I should have separated them. The thicker ribbon is what they call the Pacesetter if I remember the ad right. :D

Regards,

J

DOUGLAS

The Pacesetter

I like that style.There doesn't seem to have a bow.It s very sharp looking. In resent days there have been quite a few really nice Mallorys up for bid but unfortunately none were my size:(

DOUGLAS said:
I like that style.There doesn't seem to have a bow.It s very sharp looking. In recent days there have been quite a few really nice Mallorys up for bid but unfortunately none were my size:(

Gee, I am glad I am not your size then. ;) I like Mallory hats made before the Stetson takeover. They used the best materials possible for the price and really put out a stylish product. You really can't argue with that. :D
Did I mention they touted their cravanetted water proofing as well? ;) Of course all hat companies treated their hats to make them rain proof. I wish they still managed to get it right. [huh] I know we have at least one modern hatter out there whose hats have been declared tornado proof by one of its wearers. :p

Regards,

J

DOUGLAS

I don't know the age of my dark brown OR styled Mallory is but it is my favorite. Its a Dynafelt Premier and is cravenetted. It is extremely comfortable.I wish I had one in every color.

Open Road Clones

The style is a classic and nearly every big maker had at least one Open Road Clone:

The Mallory Dallas
Resistol San Antonio
Dobbs Westward
Akubra Campdraft

There is a wonderful Borsalino that I can't think of the name of the model now.
What are the other ones? Can you add to the list of clones?

John in Covina said:
The style is a classic and nearly every big maker had at least one Open Road Clone:

The Mallory Dallas
Resistol San Antonio
Dobbs Westward
Akubra Campdraft

There is a wonderful Borsalino that I can't think of the name of the model now. What are the other ones? Can you add to the list of clones?

The model of Borsalino you are looking for is the Alessandria. I forgot about the Westward. Good call.
Even Lee and a few others like the Peter Brothers Shady Oak. Countless custom hats were also Stratoliner clones. When you think about it, whichever came first---the Open Road or the Stratoliner---one of them was a clone of the other with a different bash. ;)

Regards,

J

DOUGLAS

Here you go Ideaguy
DSCN3668.jpg

DSCN3814.jpg

DSCN3667.jpg

I love this hat

RBH

Bartender
John in Covina said:

The Mallory Dallas
Resistol San Antonio
Dobbs Westward
Akubra Campdraft

There is a wonderful Borsalino that I can't think of the name of the model now.
What are the other ones? Can you add to the list of clones?

Dont forget the Dobbs West- Open Trail.

jamespowers said:
. Countless custom hats were also Stratoliner clones. When you think about it, whichever came first---the Open Road or the Stratoliner---one of them was a clone of the other with a different bash. ;)

Regards,

J

Also keep in mind the thin ribboned Penneys Marathon.

DOUGLAS

Not quite a diamond crease RBH. It has more of a claw crease,three points at the rear of the crown that have been softened.

ideaguy

One Too Many
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap that looks comfortable, timeless, and able
to be worn in any room with pride and ease. These hats have a way of saying-
"here I am-nothing more, nothing less" unpretentious-but classy all the same.
Thanks for sharing all the photos-and thanks,D.

Bruce A. Fulmer

New in Town
Other ORs?

I believe the list of ORs clones or private labels, or at least thin ribbons, MIGHT also include:
Biltmore Caribou
Knox Weekend Round-up
Stevens Roadmaster
Adam Trail Boss
Eddie Bauer Seattle
Orvis Fieldmaster

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Jazzman64 said:
Speaking of "Open Road Mania", one just sold on ebay today for $260...Yeesh, a little much for my blood.

I'll do you one better. one in 7-3/8 , a 7x, sold for $640 yesterday.

Roadopen

One of the Regulars
A few years ago I made a post about the virtue's of the Stetson Open Road, at that time the lounge was much smaller and not that many people had that big of an interest. Over the last year or so the lounge has really grown and so has the interest in acquiring an Open Road. Rightly so, as they are an awesome hat.

But I've seen prices for them on ebay go really high in some auctions. Not too long ago one went for over $280. I understand that it's your money, but as a cautionary note to newbies, Stetson produced more Open Roads than any other style they have ever produced. They continue to make them. At some point in time I suppose the market will dry up, but so far they continue to come up for auction all the time. I wouldn't go too crazy in a bidding war with someone. There is always another one coming up the next week. I've even found them at Goodwill for $12.50 in excellant condition.

regards fedoralover

The fun thing about searching and deciding which one you will get is always good. It's here where you will/can decide if you will pay through the nose on how badly you want the hat or not. It's a hit and miss at times, but it will be you spending good earned dollar's. They will pop up more than you can count and save as favorites on you pc saved online.:)

Prices will vary depending on the material and age/model. I try to keep a limit amount and try to pay a fair going price for the people who are selling that doesn't really know much of the item type besides the value. In the end you are still a happy camper.:D

Ro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff