Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Road Panama Hat

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I just got a new, unworn Stetson straw Open Road hat from Goodwill for $10. It's 7 1/8", 8x. I don't have a camera so here's a photo of another one. One problem with it is that my tall head doesn't much like the center crease.

I need to snap the brim down. Would steam work for this?
strawOpenRoadhat.jpg

Billy

Kilroy

New in Town
RBH,
You might try denatured alcohol. I used it on a Resistol with some success. Unfortunately, I got alcohol on the label glued to the inside of the crown, and it bled through to the outside of the crown. I sure don't know how to get rid of that. If you try it, be careful.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Funny, I had one of these - I got in around 1980* and it was my primary summer hat for over twenty years - and it came with a snap brim. I turned down the front on day one, without steam or anything, and it stayed down just fine. I only turned the front brim up when putting the hat away for the winter every year. (The hat eventually lost its snap and shape, the straw cracked, and it because a mess. I finally retired it about four years ago.)

I'm surprised to hear that newer ones don't have a snap brim!

(* I bought it at the old Worth & Worth hat store on Madison Avenue. It list-priced for $50 there at that point, but I only paid $28 because it was during a September straw-hat clearance sale.)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

I bought a Stetson Panama on e-bay just the other day. An Open Road, maybe? It sure looks Open Roadish, but the center crease looks a little wierd. It has yet to arrive, so I'm not really sure what I've got. Only paid fifteen-fifty, though, so hopefully I didn't go too wrong.

Here it is.

e6cf_1.jpg

Atticus

duggap

Banned
Atticus Finch said:
Hi Folks,

I bought a Stetson Panama on e-bay just the other day. An Open Road, maybe? It sure looks Open Roadish, but the center crease looks a little wierd. It has yet to arrive, so I'm not really sure what I've got. Only paid fifteen-fifty, though, so hopefully I didn't go too wrong.

Here it is.

e6cf_1.jpg

Atticus
From the look of that picture, it looks more like a felt hat than a straw hat. But what the heck, you win either way.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
duggap said:
From the look of that picture, it looks more like a felt hat than a straw hat. But what the heck, you win either way.

It might just be the picture but I think I see lines criss crossing, indicating a Panama.

Whether it is or not, you still got a good deal.

I steamed mine the other day and it worked fine. I snapped the front brim down, got rid of the cattleman's crease and put in some front dents.

dostacos

Practically Family
Atticus Finch said:
Thanks, guys. The seller swears it's a Panama. I think I got a good deal because it is a size 7 3/4. I have the largest head in the United States, I'm sure.

Atticus
there is a guy on COW that was talking about how big he could get an adventurebuilt hat, he is in the 8+ range:eek: :)

still anything about 7 1/2 is hard to find on ebay:(

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

My Perhaps-A-Stetson-Panama just arrived and, sure enough, it is a Stetson Panama. It fits like a dream---7 3/4 long oval. Dang, I've got a big head!

I need to either get it blocked or try to reshape it myself. Evidently, it has been stored for a while too close to something and now the left side of the brim is turned up at a greater angle than is the right side. Also, I would like the front of the brim to turn down slightly in the fedora fashion, as opposed to upwardly in the traditional Open Road style. Did I hear that Panama hats can be steamed and reshaped? I would like to give that a shot because I have no idea where to get a hat blocked. I'm not sure anyone in Eastern North Carolina does that.

While I am very happy with my purchase, I doubt that this is an Open Road Panama. In fact, it doesn't seem to have a style name anywhere in it. The band shows the Stetson logo and "Genuine Leather" on one side, and "Genuine Panama" on the other---but nothing else. Inside the crown is a Stetson label.

Photos as soon as I can get it reshaped.

Atticus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart