Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open road review

jkingrph

Practically Family
Nice writeup, I have numerous Open Road's, both in felt and straw, one felt is their 20X grade and it is super nice, straws in the cheaper, extremely stiff shantung and I think three in the much nicer Panama straw, one with woven in vent panel all the around the crown. Having a eye problem that makes bright overhead lights annoying, I tend to snap the brim down tending to give the hat less of the casual sporty look in all the pictures in the review.

Here is an old ad showing the Open Road with the brim slightly snapped down.

Last edited:

Justdog

Practically Family
Nice writeup, I have numerous Open Road's, both in felt and straw, one felt is their 20X grade and it is super nice, straws in the cheaper, extremely stiff shantung and I think three in the much nicer Panama straw, one with woven in vent panel all the around the crown. Having a eye problem that makes bright overhead lights annoying, I tend to snap the brim down tending to give the hat less of the casual sporty look in all the pictures in the review.

Here is an old ad showing the Open Road with the brim slightly snapped down.
Great pic. The Cognac Deluxe I have was blocked that way, someone had a flair as it's the only one like that, lol I thought it was a mistake but your picture shows the exact block. Thanks for clearing that up.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Great pic. The Cognac Deluxe I have was blocked that way, someone had a flair as it's the only one like that, lol I thought it was a mistake but your picture shows the exact block. Thanks for clearing that up.

The modern Hatco ORs are really similar in name only to the vintage OR. Those mid century hats would have been blocked open crown.

okbow68

New in Town
I know this is a little older thread but I have a question. I have a 10X open road Shantung that I would like to snap the brim down sometimes but not sure if I should. It feels like it might break. Is this safe to do with this hat?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I know this is a little older thread but I have a question. I have a 10X open road Shantung that I would like to snap the brim down sometimes but not sure if I should. It feels like it might break. Is this safe to do with this hat?

just use a touch of steam. A tea kettle works, a handheld clothes steamer will work, if you want to throw some cash around, you can buy a jiffy hat steamer.

avoid hitting the sweatband with steam! But you should be able to do some shaping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner