Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opera, anyone?

S

Samsa

Flora said:
Well they're as close to opera as I'd really want to get lol... sorry, opera isn't just my field. I'm more of a metal/rock type. :) Oh and Wishmaster is great... did you hear the song End of All Hope? It is so amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6xaIPszwpo

Thanks for the link, that brought back memories of high school!

I know I'm dragging this thread :eek:fftopic: but I still can't believe they got rid of Tarja!

Flora

Familiar Face
Samsa said:
Thanks for the link, that brought back memories of high school!

I know I'm dragging this thread :eek:fftopic: but I still can't believe they got rid of Tarja!
Well I can tell you that Tarja has been in some operas! I forget which ones though. I couldn't get as far into opera past Nightwish, really.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Mike in Seattle said:
In the summer of 1990, my opera singer-partner and I went to Santa Fe to visit friends summering there. It also included a trip to the Santa Fe Opera. They were doing Cosi fan Tutte. The weeks leading up to departure and the flight included the oft-repeated admonition "Have you finished the libretto? You have to read it through a couple of times so you understand the story.
My oh my, that opera really has the most complicated, silly, stupid plot ever! Everybody constantly dressing up as albanians with big moustaches and fooling around....... Lovely, lovely music, though. Mozart rules!

I really think no other composers reach Mozart to the knees when it comes to opera. Verdi and Pucchini sure were good, but Mozart could compose them under the table with one hand tied!

Other than Mozarts operas, I really enjoy some of Bachs cantatas, espescially the Coffee Cantata. It is like a sung debate between a young girl, who loves to drink coffee, and her father; telling her about how inmoral and dangerous that habit is and how she will never get a man if she keeps on drinking the stuff!

olive bleu

One Too Many
I fell in love with opera when i first heard my boyfriend(now my husband) singing "Nessun Dorma" in the shower.Turns out he actually had 10 years of opera training before we met(who knew?).

I have sadly never had the opportunity to see many live productions.For years, i would go to the local library and take out videos of performances,along with librettos if i could find them and watch them over and over.My favourite was always La Boheme with Theresa Stratas as Mimi.sorry...I can't agree with the fans of Madama Butterfly.I just can't sympathize with Cio-Cio San pining away for her loverboy.She just needs to get a good firm grip on reality.Drives me mad.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I am not particularly into the opera music itself but I love the event. We went to the opera last Saturday for the opening night of the Seattle season and saw The flying Duchman. There are a couple of photos of us here.
natharbi.net a little way down the page.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
olive bleu said:
I fell in love with opera when i first heard my boyfriend(now my husband) singing "Nessun Dorma" in the shower.Turns out he actually had 10 years of opera training before we met(who knew?).

Wow! What a nice surprise!

I'm with you on Butterfly too--wimpy female leads can be so irritating.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Carmina Burana...pure heaven (have a listen)

I just adore this piece of music and singing. There is opera for all moods, some can really psyche you up, some can lift you up on wings, some can reduce you to tears...

For those of you out there who have never really delved into Opera or even classical music, I hope that this thread has wetted your appetite to find out a bit more :)

Have a 'wee' listen to this 'very short' piece, and enjoy ;)

CARMINA BURANA (In Trutina)

S

Samsa

I'm trying to decide which production at the Detroit Opera House I want to go to. I'm leaning towards "The Marriage of Figaro." I'll be too poor to get good seats, so I'll have to invest in opera glasses. Anyone have any recommendations on where to obtain a pair? (Especially a pair that's relatively cheap...)

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I appreciate opera, but I do better actually seeing the performances than listening to the music on its own. I've only seen one, and it's the best I think I could have possibly seen, a production of La Boheme directed by Baz Luhrmann and scene/costume design by Catherine Martin. My parents took me to see it on my 18th birthday...I was blown away!

zaika

One Too Many
sweetfrancaise said:
I appreciate opera, but I do better actually seeing the performances than listening to the music on its own. I've only seen one, and it's the best I think I could have possibly seen, a production of La Boheme directed by Baz Luhrmann and scene/costume design by Catherine Martin. My parents took me to see it on my 18th birthday...I was blown away!

oh my god, sweetfrancaise!! that sounds like it must have been amazing. *jealous*
i don't have the attention span to listen to an entire opera on CD or whatever. but, get me to the theatre and i fall head over heels. :) i do have favorite singers and enjoy listening to recordings of arias and recitals. Leontyne Price and Anna Netrebko are currently my two faves.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ode to Joy!

Someone gave my GF tickets, so tonight we're going to Carnegie Hall to see the Lucerne Festival Orchestra do Beethoven's Ninth! Woo hoo!

zaika

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Someone gave my GF tickets, so tonight we're going to Carnegie Hall to see the Lucerne Festival Orchestra do Beethoven's Ninth! Woo hoo!

you lead a sad life, dhermann1. :p

I

Ian Dundrillon

As a kid I hated even the thought of opera (you know: the fat lady, the Viking helmet, the spear, the bellowing, etc.), however, schooling took me to a number of major cities where my appreciation developed and grew. (God help me, I even like Wagner). I agree with Barbigirl in that I very much enjoy the sense of occasion. As I have noticed in other threads, however, there has been a horrible decline in dress and manners at all such events (including funerals) as society continues to pander to the lowest common denominator.
At least the music can serve as a reminder of what it is, was, or should be all about.

Ian

"I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland."

Woody Allen

S

Samsa

Ian Dundrillon said:
"I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland."

Woody Allen

That's great!lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
zaika said:
you lead a sad life, dhermann1. :p
So true. Pity me.
Just got back. The place was packed, the performance was fabulous, everyone stood up and shouted at the end. We were in the top balcony, but the sound was great, and you could look down and see all the fiddlers elbows moving in unison. It's like a little ballet. It was especially cool to watch the tympanny player, with his 4 big kettles, and the triangle player, who sat in the corner all night long being ready, and then played his few seconds of tingalingaling perfectly. Including the 4 soloists, there were 168 singers. Totally wow.
I do. I lead a rough life. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, God. I can't resist. Have I never posted this before? This is yours truly in August 1963, age 16, as a spear carrier on the Chautauqua Opera Association's production of Aida. Shirley Verette sang her first Amneris. Maybe this belongs in the "Most Dorky Picture of Myself" thread. Ah, the web certainly is a great place for narcissistic self gratification, isn't it? Anyway, here I am, in all my glory:
Aida63.jpg

I've actually supered (supernumerary) in several operas there, and let me tell you, it's the best seat in the house. It is FUN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy