Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion Request Thread - Recreased Brown Federation IV Standard

MattJH

One Too Many
Okay! So, last night I was walking through my neighborhood when a flash flood just exploded from the sky, and with it about five minutes of torrential, marble-sized hail. It was spectacular. Unfortunately, I was outside for the entire thing. Fortunately, I was wearing my Fed, which may as well double as a felt helmet. When the rain and hail subsided, I was left with a sopping wet hat, and I was inspired in the moment and just let my hands go. This was done fairly quickly and 100% by hand in the middle of a Philadelphia street (yes, literally!), with some minor tweaking after I got back to my apartment, and is the very first time I've ever attempted a crease that required any sort of symmetry or skill.

As such, I'm not totally confident with it, and I also don't know if I look okay in it. I know that it's because it's completely new for me, and when you couple that with the potentially intimidating dimensions of an Akubra Federation IV, well... I've come here to get the honest scoop! :) So let it all out, if you don't mind, be it dashing praise or scathing critique - I'd sincerely appreciate it! Help me help myself. My gut instinct is that I did pretty well for my first time with a deep, sharp bash, but I also know that if there are improvements I could make, this is the place to hear about them.

My measurements: 5'11" / 155lbs

Crown measurements: Front 5" / Sides 4.5" / Back 3.5"

Is this what is referred to as the "tugboat" effect, by the way? I read that thread after I got in last night and immediately wondered if that's, coincidentally, what I had just creased into this Fed?

02-federation-creased.jpg

03-federation-creased.jpg

04-federation-creased.jpg

05-federation-creased.jpg

06-federation-creased.jpg

07-federation-creased.jpg

08-federation-creased.jpg

09-federation-creased.jpg

10-federation-creased.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
The only thing I would change is a bit more pointy in the crown point (see pic). But that's just personal preference of course.

Yep, that's a tugboat to me. The front comes down a bit from the sides of the crown. But what do I know... :eusa_doh:

Well, I do know I think it is way cool and that I agree with those that previously posted...you look great. Impressive bash work.

486985020_r8oJr-S.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
I like it! Taking the front pinch past verticle gives you a nice height and the dramatic drop to the back looks very good. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

galopede

One of the Regulars
Nice job, looks much like mine!

All my hats have to have a crease along that line as I have a high head! When I first got my Fed I tried a straight down the middle crease but it rested on the top of my head and disn't touch the sides!

Gareth

Pduck

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
The only thing I would change is a bit more pointy in the crown point (see pic). But that's just personal preference of course.

Yep, that's a tugboat to me. The front comes down a bit from the sides of the crown. But what do I know... :eusa_doh:

Well, I do know I think it is way cool and that I agree with those that previously posted...you look great. Impressive bash work.

For what it's worth, I prefer the softer crown point like Matt has it. The Fed IV can look pretty big. I think the more rounded point softens it a bit.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I like it. My vintage fedora has the same general "tugboat" shape like yours but not so rounded on the front, but close. I like em that way. By the way, whats that telephone in the backround?

Goose.

Practically Family
Pduck said:
For what it's worth, I prefer the softer crown point like Matt has it. The Fed IV can look pretty big. I think the more rounded point softens it a bit.
Taste great! Less filling!!

May try that softer point and see how it goes.. My sharper point is just what I'm used to but I am trainable.
Used to like the rake on my Sydney until I saw Skyvue's...tried it, and kept it. So ya never know. Fun to check out different looks on those open crowns.

MAttJH, regardless of my preference, that is a great job on a great hat. I'd wear it :eusa_clap

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
That's a higher front crown than I would tend to wear, but you pull it, and the tugboat effect, off well! The curvature of the crown before it breaks in the front is actually pretty cool...haven't seen that before.

macfly

Familiar Face
your longer face can really pull off that high front crown. looks good. my face wont so i had to lower it a bit. wish i could get away with it! nice job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael