Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinionated actors....SHUT UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebop

Practically Family
The Don Imus thing has zero to do with celebrity opinions. There are many points going on in this thread. It is difficult to stay in a straight line.
I also say let everyone speak. Claiming to not have an opinion is far more suspicious that having any opinion. You are right that reasonable people can determine who is full of it and who isn't. They can continue to listen, walk away, or call them on it. I don't know where you get that I want the people with which I don't agree to be silenced. If I thought that, my life would be kind of boring. I don't even know how you would know with whom I agree. In my last post I think I explained it quite well by having you put yourself into a subject you may know nothing about and start yelling out what your opinion is about that subject. Unless you were there to learn and ask questions, your brash, agressive opinions would be frowned upon. That is where my "shut up" enters. No one will ever be able to decide who can present an opinion. Nor should anyone ever attempt it.

Having the power of a celebrity and a public opinion on politics or anything in which they are not well versed is quite different from being Joe Blow and having an opinion about anything in my living room. Refer to my last post on how they need our opinions, we don't need theirs.

Let's say that in the hat section of this Lounge an individual logged on claiming that paper hats lasted much longer than beaver hats. They gave you many opinions as to why they last longer. All the while, you are saying to yourself, "I know better. He is wrong". How long do you try to convince this individual that he incorrect about his paper hat? Do you ever reach the point where you just want to type, in bold capitol letters, "SHUT UP!"?
What would your response be when the poster claims you just want to keep him from the freedom to express his opinions? Would you not feel that it has little to do with constitutional rights? Sure, they have the right to go on and on but you can't blame people who stop taking them seriously and wish the poster would stick to what he knows a little more about.

Opinions can not overrule facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael