Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions about Johnnie Walker

psugrad98 said:
The Black is very good. The Green is a vatted malt. But all Johnnie Walkers are much too expensive. You can get a good bottle of Glennfiddich or something similar single malt for the price.

If you want to have some tasty scotch and don't want to pay a lot, try Grants (made by Glennfiddich and in a similarly triangle bottle) or Ballantines (very sweet and smooth, creamy)

Ballantine's: The choice of Matt Helm. ;)
I've never tried it despite the movie connection. :D

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Johnnie%20Walker%20Blue%20Label%20King%20George%20V.jpg

I had some of this on Wednesday:
Johnnie Walker Blue Label King George V
At $400 or £350 in the UK this is a SEVERE disappointment.

Ethan Bentley said:
Johnnie%20Walker%20Blue%20Label%20King%20George%20V.jpg

I had some of this on Wednesday:
Johnnie Walker Blue Label King George V
At $400 or £350 in the UK this is a SEVERE disappointment.

Geez, I hope you weren't the guy buying that one. I can think of two or three GREAT single malts that you could have picked up for that price---even in special gold adorned cystal decanters.
Oh and 350 pounds is actually $538. :eek:

Levallois

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Ballantine's: The choice of Matt Helm. ;)
I've never tried it despite the movie connection. :D

Ballatines has always been a favorite of mine but I didn't know of the Matt Helm connection. I always learn something on the FL. Thanks!

And, I like JW Blue but agree with some of the comments that it is way overpriced. The Gold is a better choice but is still overpriced. I don't ever drink JW Red.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
You need to watch a few old Matt Helm movies. He has a case with his gun and a bottle of Balantine's next to it. Both have special cut outs for a perfect fit. ;) :p lol

Ah, I didn't remember that from the books.

Later

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
The movies are different. They kind of mold Matt Helm to match Dean Martin's character. Martin was sort of the first to go out there and do a take off of 007 much as Austin Powers did recently.

I remember a cartoon where a character had a case that looked like a gun case, but had a huge lollipop (sucker) in it. Is that based on Matt Helm?

psugrad98 said:
I remember a cartoon where a character had a case that looked like a gun case, but had a huge lollipop (sucker) in it. Is that based on Matt Helm?

Well, there was a gun in the case---next to the bottle of Ballantine's. lol
I know the cartoon now that you mention it though.
Dean's Matt Helm was sort of a functional drunk more than a lollipop sucker though. lol lol
perhaps I need to start a thread on his antics as Matt Helm. He was great in that role. Too bad that he stopped filming them after Sharon Tate's untimely death. :(

Panache

A-List Customer
Bustercat said:
I see you're in CA.
If you're near a trader Joes, give this a whirl:
Finlaggan_Islay_Single_Malt_The_Original_Peaty_4946.jpg

For a daily drinker I've switched from Laphroig to this... and it's $18 a bottle.

Bustercat,

A friend turned me on to Finlaggan a couple months back and it is a very nice single malt for the price (though it's no Highland Park or Balvenie)

As for Johnny Walker Red, I much prefer The Famous Grouse for a blend. Better flavor, smoother, and just more pleasant. Oddly enough I think it is also cheaper, but this may have to do with less name recognition here in the states.

Cheers

Jamie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner