Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions about Johnnie Walker

Rainsfan89

New in Town
I'm curious to know what people here think about Johnnie Walker. I had some of the red label earlier today and found it rather harsh, and therefore not too good. I've heard the black label is good stuff though.

DerMann

Practically Family
As I understand it, Johnny Walker is blended scotch, which means that neutral grain spirits are soaked in grains meant to give the taste of real scotch.

I will not spend money on blended scotches, as they are only slightly less expensive than good single malt scotches.

Red Label runs about $45 at Specs here in Houston, while Glenlivet 12 year old scotch is about $50, and the Glenlivet is incomparably superior.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Blends vs. Vatted Malts

"Blends" are blends of Malts and grain spirit, as Dermann rightly states.
Harder to find, are "Vatted Malts", which are blended only from malts.

I actually prefer JW Red to Black.

Harshness and "Smoothness" are red herrings as far as I'm concerned-
taste some of the finest Single Malts and "smoothness" is nowhere to be found. Flavour is the important factor.

JW Red tastes like a "Scotch", Black, not so much.

B
T

rikrdo

A-List Customer
TOTALLY DISAGREE:

BellyTank said:
"Blends" are blends of Malts and grain spirit, as Dermann rightly states.
Harder to find, are "Vatted Malts", which are blended only from malts.

I actually prefer JW Red to Black.

Harshness and "Smoothness" are red herrings as far as I'm concerned-
taste some of the finest Single Malts and "smoothness" is nowhere to be found. Flavour is the important factor.

JW Red tastes like a "Scotch", Black, not so much.

B
T

The JW red is ONLY drinkable in a mix of some sort...................JW Black is fantastic in a glass. Of any type....................with nothing else.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Even Rob Roys and Rusty Nails taste better with the right single malt than with the usual blended counterpart. Just more going on to pay attention to.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
rikrdo said:
The JW red is ONLY drinkable in a mix of some sort...................JW Black is fantastic in a glass. Of any type....................with nothing else.

You totally disagree...

Do you usually drink single malts, or blends..?
Blend drinkers tend to be caught up in the whole "smoothness" thing,
which is kind of at odds with Malt drinkers tastes.
This could contribute to our opinions differing so much.

Red tastes like Scotch, Black tastes like sour nothingness.
Try JW Green, it's a (blended)Vatted Malt/Pure Malt
(that's without the filler/grain spirit of "blendeds").

B
T

rikrdo

A-List Customer
B
T:

I do like single malts (Laphroig being one of my favorites) but I tend to be stingy with my money and feel that the blends offer me more "bang for my buck."
I probably shouldn't have added "totally" to my earlier post..........looking back, it seems kind of argumentive, which it was NOT intended to be (sorry if it came off that way :eek: )

Chivas 18 yr old is probably one of the best I've tasted and I also enjoy Dewars 12 yr old from time to time.

Single malts just seem to be way overpriced for what I get out of them.....

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
What most of the public don't realise is how skilled the master blender of a distillery has to be.

A lot of people think that there is an exact set recipe for a blend, that "you mix some of this with so much of that and a set amount of that, etc" but this is not the truth. Because of the availability and the differences over time of whiskies which the master blender has to use, they have to use their palates and nose to work out which whiskies and spirits to use and in which quantities to produce the exact same taste of previous batches so that the new batch will taste exactly the same as previous batches have over the years.

It is an incredible skill and art.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
rikrdo said:
B
T:

I do like single malts (Laphroig being one of my favorites) but I tend to be stingy with my money and feel that the blends offer me more "bang for my buck."
I probably shouldn't have added "totally" to my earlier post..........looking back, it seems kind of argumentive, which it was NOT intended to be (sorry if it came off that way :eek: )

Chivas 18 yr old is probably one of the best I've tasted and I also enjoy Dewars 12 yr old from time to time.

Single malts just seem to be way overpriced for what I get out of them.....

And I prefer Malts but not their prices.
I would rather drink VAT 69, than Chivas- that's a price issue too.
But then I have some difficulty deciding which blends are better, considering they contain a lot of non-malt(non-Scotch)product. Also, I don't personally see "value" in blends, so don't wish to buy one that costs many times more than another. I think blemds are a rip-off for most folks, who truly believe they're getting a blend of Malts, which they obviously aren't.
If I want a drink, I'll have a VAT, if I want a whisky, I'll have a Malt.

There ARE some nicely priced Vatted Malts/Pure Malts around, which may be a good compromise in price and product, between Malts and Blends.

B
T

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I used to drink Dewar's White Label and then Famous Grouse. Both are inexpensive, but decent Scotches. An article said that Famous Grouse is basically the bar brand of Scotland. Both Dewar's and Famous Grouse are smooth, and both taste like Scotch. I didn't like JW Red, and I especially didn't like Cutty. After drinking the Red, I've never tried the black, green or Blue (?). If I had to choose between no alcohol and Cutty, I'd pick no alcohol.

I'm sure it has to do with the process, but expensive Scotch is the best, followed by expensive bourbon, all ryes, then cheap bourbon, and lastly cheap Scotch. Cheap Scotch is HORRIBLE.

Later

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I'm a single malt man myself, but when in a dive that doesn't have a selection (and I've been in a few, I'm looking at you Re-Bar :eek: ) I'll order a JW Red. It's not the greatest, but I know what to expect and I would rather drink that then some overpriced kerosene that someone has labeled scotch.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mahagonny Bill said:
I'm a single malt man myself, but when in a dive that doesn't have a selection (and I've been in a few, I'm looking at you Re-Bar :eek: ) I'll order a JW Red. It's not the greatest, but I know what to expect and I would rather drink that then some overpriced kerosene that someone has labeled scotch.

He gets it.

Bravo!!!

B
T

Smithy said:
What most of the public don't realise is how skilled the master blender of a distillery has to be.

A lot of people think that there is an exact set recipe for a blend, that "you mix some of this with so much of that and a set amount of that, etc" but this is not the truth. Because of the availability and the differences over time of whiskies which the master blender has to use, they have to use their palates and nose to work out which whiskies and spirits to use and in which quantities to produce the exact same taste of previous batches so that the new batch will taste exactly the same as previous batches have over the years.

It is an incredible skill and art.

Ah but we need not forget the art of the single malt producer as well. They have to make the single malt, from scratch, year after year and make it taste exactly the same or as near to it as possible without the help of another single malt to help balance out the taste. They have to taste good by themselves.
They have to age them and determine when they are ready to release to the public without sullying their good names. It is all they have to market their goods on. Imagine aging a cask of scotch or several from one year that are not even close to the quailty your customers are used to drinking---a whole year wasted. :eusa_doh: You can recoup some of your money though---selling the product to blend makers. :rolleyes:
Blends can be various ages, various qualities and some just plain rot gut mixed together to fool the taste buds into thinking you are drinking a decent scotch. They usually fail when it comes to me though. Blends just lack flavor to me. JW black is flavorless to me. I liken it to drinking water. Going up the scale for JW's offerings, makes no sense as I can get a decent single malt like McClellands for less.
Looking at the local Beverages and More site, Johnny Walker black (750ml all) is $24.99, red $26.99, green $49.99, and blue $160.
McClelland's Highland, Lowland or Islay are all $19.99. A good starting point for decent scotch that has flavor.
Going up the scale: Bushmills Ten Year Old is $37.98 even more reasonable is: Tomatin 12 Year Old Single Malt--$25.49.
Further: Glenlivet Nadurra 16 Yr--$49.99 Definitely better than green---by faaaarrrr.
Expensive and likely worth it in flavor: Glenrothes 1985 Single Malt--$125.99 and Bruichladdich 16 Yr Cuvee A--109.99 Both are superb.
For my money, give me the single malt with flavor and craftsmanship by some of the greatest single malters around. :D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Ah but we need not forget the art of the single malt producer as well. They have to make the single malt, from scratch, year after year and make it taste exactly the same or as near to it as possible without the help of another single malt to help balance out the taste. They have to taste good by themselves.
They have to age them and determine when they are ready to release to the public without sullying their good names. It is all they have to market their goods on. Imagine aging a cask of scotch or several from one year that are not even close to the quailty your customers are used to drinking---a whole year wasted. :eusa_doh: You can recoup some of your money though---selling the product to blend makers. :rolleyes:

Oh I'm not diminishing the art of single malt makers in any way. What I was pointing out was that many do not know the skill that is used by a master blender. If you go on a tour of a single malt whisky distillery, even they will tell you that probably the best whisky palates in the business are those of master blenders.

My preference is for single malts ( I like Islays for winter, Speysides for summer) but I can appreciate a good blend as well. I'm always a little suspicious of people who say "Oh I can't drink any type of blend", it smacks of pretentiousness rather than a valid opinion on taste. Very good quality blends will have a high amount of the malts that these people claim to love. Sure there's some shockers of blends out there but there's some very nice ones as well.

Drink what you like and how you like it. That's perhaps the best advice there is.

Smithy said:
Oh I'm not diminishing the art of single malt makers in any way. What I was pointing out was that many do not know the skill that is used by a master blender. If you go on a tour of a single malt whisky distillery, even they will tell you that probably the best whisky palates in the business are those of master blenders.

My preference is for single malts ( I like Islays for winter, Speysides for summer) but I can appreciate a good blend as well. I'm always a little suspicious of people who say "Oh I can't drink any type of blend", it smacks of pretentiousness rather than a valid opinion on taste. Very good quality blends will have a high amount of the malts that these people claim to love. Sure there's some shockers of blends out there but there's some very nice ones as well.

Drink what you like and how you like it. That's perhaps the best advice there is.

We are speaking of Johnny Walker in specific. In general, there might be some decent blends out there but my point is that I can buy a single malt for the same price. I'll buy the single malt if there is a choice---easy decision. When confronted with Johnny Walker---it is always a single malt in comparison. No pretensiousness just value for the money is better---along with the flavor.
As pointed out before, there are different types of blends. For instance, Alberfeldy is a base for Dewars. That isn't that bad--especially the higher 12year, 18 year, Signature and White label. However the price points are nearly the same as some of your be single malts. If out in a place where I want a decent Scotch and am faced with only blends available then I would go for the dewars blends as they are less than shocking to say the least. if it is a matter of what I want behind my bar then I'll choose the single malt.
By the way, McClellands is produced by Bowmore so you are definitely getting value for your dollar there---especially the Islay as that is what Bowmore produces. ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
We are speaking of Johnny Walker in specific. In general, there might be some decent blends out there but my point is that I can buy a single malt for the same price. I'll buy the single malt if there is a choice---easy decision. When confronted with Johnny Walker---it is always a single malt in comparison. No pretensiousness just value for the money is better---along with the flavor.
As pointed out before, there are different types of blends. For instance, Alberfeldy is a base for Dewars. That isn't that bad--especially the higher 12year, 18 year, Signature and White label. However the price points are nearly the same as some of your be single malts. If out in a place where I want a decent Scotch and am faced with only blends available then I would go for the dewars blends as they are less than shocking to say the least. if it is a matter of what I want behind my bar then I'll choose the single malt.
By the way, McClellands is produced by Bowmore so you are definitely getting value for your dollar there---especially the Islay as that is what Bowmore produces. ;)

I agree, Dewars produce some beautiful blends. It's perhaps better to say that straight comparisons between blends and single malts are maybe missing the point as the two, although closely related, could be argued to be different drinks and as such seek to achieve different things.

I wasn't having a go at you James with that comment about pretentiousness, rather at those who sweepingly state that there is no blend that they will or can drink. Usually said loudly by those who know bugger all about whisky.

I personally don't mind JW's blends, I like Swing probably the most but think Blue is ludicrously overrated and overpriced.

I'd also add that just because it says single malt on the label doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Deanston or Glen Eden anyone? *yucky*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner