Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on HimelBros 1920's jacket fit

dit dah

One of the Regulars
David, those who get it, get it and those who don't, won't. You do not have to justify your pricing. You're working in a niche, beautiful product, crap profit margin. Majority of western buyers of high end leather jackets are probably over weight anyway and would look terrible in one of yours. A lot of people feel a little challenged by something new, and of course, of passion. You should just fit an Aero label then everyone'd be fainting. Funny how's there's so much conservatism in what is essentially a fringe market.

David, those who get it, get it and those who don't, won't. You do not have to justify your pricing. You're working in a niche, beautiful product, crap profit margin. Majority of western buyers of high end leather jackets are probably over weight anyway and would look terrible in one of yours. A lot of people feel a little challenged by something new, and of course, of passion. You should just fit an Aero label then everyone'd be fainting. Funny how's there's so much conservatism in what is essentially a fringe market.

I think his post about pricing was excellent. However, please, not knowing where you are located (and not caring) taking swipes like that above about "Majority of western buyers of high end leather jackets are probably over weight anyway..." isn't cool IMHO.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hey all ....generally I dont pipe up a lot about these issues on the fedora lounge.....but I thought I might address this ongoing discussion of price. It makes me uncomfortable when people discuss price and then compare jacket costs amongst makers....its all apples and oranges...I make 4 or 5 jackets a week I have a 3 person team including myself and I source out the best of the best of the best materials on the planet to make them. If I priced them appropriately based on traditional business models they would be 3 times more expensive then what I currently sell for. So for example if you produced a widget A: for 500 dollars and you were running a proper wholesale..you would then wholesale A for 1000 dollars. The retailer would then resell A for 1 to 3 times markup so widget A retails for 2 to 3 K. My costs are much higher then 500 per jacket because of the use of custom leathers, materials and liners, zippers and I pay my sewers 30 dollars per hour. So I wont discuss my costing in the future. As my customers tell me ...they all own other peoples jackets and I have had not one complaint, and in fact 100 % of the time been told that I have made their best jackets yet. Final note....John makes every jacket himself. You are getting absolute art and beauty for practically free in this regard. If you go to your local bespoke tailor, or google REal McCoys or go to your local high end shopping district ....these prices are more reflective of the cost of beautiful things...I really hope I am not going to regret this post. Also the links to FE Pics...are pics I use for my ebay auctions...many photos are out of date or just plain old...I personally would prefer that it not be posted on a public forum...but they are technically public. If anybody wants pictures of fit, or testimonials from my customers ....many of whom are fedora lounge members you are welcome to email me...or even to check out my various blogs which I will be updating soon. I am always disappointed at the high cost of producing these jackets...if this was 1925 certainly the price would have been lower but the competition would have been much stiffer. This is my passion not some grand get rich quick scheme and I hope that this comes across from my websites, blogs and other materials.

David, I salute your craftsmanship, your design and your passion. Lovely work. Your blog's great too. I have to say I like the loose fit as seen in some of these photos a great deal.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
I think his post about pricing was excellent. However, please, not knowing where you are located (and not caring) taking swipes like that above about "Majority of western buyers of high end leather jackets are probably over weight anyway..." isn't cool IMHO.

Mucho apologetico my sensitive friend. I had forgotten how tetchy people can get on here. I agree that David's post was good, just feel that the obvious anxiety he had experienced over the issue is unfounded.

I do feel that the over-weight comment, though perhaps a little insensitive, is a fair point when it comes to discussing period clothing. All these wee jackets were, as you might say "often times" worn by underfed workers & men of combat, mostly of a young age. This does seem to translate to....well.... something when they are reintroduced to a more modern body type.

I'm a tad overweight me' sen at the mo, largely due to the excess of insensitivity and uncoolness that I carry around, and too many cakes. However I'm not immune to a slice of humble pie so again, please accept my most sincerest of apologies. As to my location, why it's sleepy Shrophire in England, and you are welcome here any old time, regardless of your, or my weight.

Another case of differences in International humour? Hope so xx

Mucho apologetico my sensitive friend. I had forgotten how tetchy people can get on here. I agree that David's post was good, just feel that the obvious anxiety he had experienced over the issue is unfounded.

I do feel that the over-weight comment, though perhaps a little insensitive, is a fair point when it comes to discussing period clothing. All these wee jackets were, as you might say "often times" worn by underfed workers & men of combat, mostly of a young age. This does seem to translate to....well.... something when they are reintroduced to a more modern body type.

I'm a tad overweight me' sen at the mo, largely due to the excess of insensitivity and uncoolness that I carry around, and too many cakes. However I'm not immune to a slice of humble pie so again, please accept my most sincerest of apologies. As to my location, why it's sleepy Shrophire in England, and you are welcome here any old time, regardless of your, or my weight.

Another case of differences in International humour? Hope so xx

I'm not sensitive. I don't get "offended" - hate the word actually. But had it been written with a sense of humor, I'd have been OK (smiley) It would be like me talking about how snooty the French are. Or how the Brit's have bad pegs or the like. I can and do joke like that all day long. This place however, has never been one where it's tolerated. And, since I visit a lot of political sites as well, I'm tired of the anti-US stuff that gets posted all the time. It's just so unfair to the people here. Our politicians suck, but the people are good. I took 34 pounds off this year to trim down. Wasn't fat, but being 6'-4", you can hide some pounds :)
All good. Back to the jackets. I'm a guy that gets frustrated at the lack of bigger sizes for us (not fat) guys, just large. But since we see some 50 here, I'm happy to hear this. :)

The fit on this one, IMO, is spot on for a vintage D-pocket jacket. I really love this jacket.

DSC_0111.JPG

^^^ Yes, it's spot-on if you got that body! :)
I love the mix of brown and black too. It has an added benefit of allowing you to wear either black/brown shoes/belts, etc!

dit dah

One of the Regulars
I'm not sensitive. I don't get "offended" - hate the word actually. But had it been written with a sense of humor, I'd have been OK (smiley) It would be like me talking about how snooty the French are. Or how the Brit's have bad pegs or the like. I can and do joke like that all day long. This place however, has never been one where it's tolerated. And, since I visit a lot of political sites as well, I'm tired of the anti-US stuff that gets posted all the time. It's just so unfair to the people here. Our politicians suck, but the people are good. I took 34 pounds off this year to trim down. Wasn't fat, but being 6'-4", you can hide some pounds :)
All good. Back to the jackets. I'm a guy that gets frustrated at the lack of bigger sizes for us (not fat) guys, just large. But since we see some 50 here, I'm happy to hear this. :)

Agreed, back to the jackets, But: England is in the West my friend, the post had not even a whiff of anti- Americanism about it. I am firmly anti-anti-Americanism, a most unpopular stance in liberal circles over here. Glad to hear you're not over sensitive about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy