Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimizing the fit of my Aero Sheene

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I can't see selling justified unless you need the funds toward another jacket. It looks fine. I like my jackets a little longer, but that preference falls a bit to the extreme end. You may wake up one day and come to accept and appreciate that jacket's length. The mind's chemistry changes.

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't wear jeans that ride so low. As others have suggested, changing to a higher rise blue jean is a lot easier and cheaper than going for a new Sheene. With jeans an inch or so higher, the belt would be covered and the problem solved. Simple and cheap solution for a potentially complex and expensive problem.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Although the existing fit is acceptable, I personally prefer the photoshoped fit.

The jacket dimensions you posted appear inconsistent with your height. You must have a very long torso and short legs.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have to say you guys like your jackets short .... if you leaned over to reach the bars you'd get a right draft in yer kidneys ! The Photoshopped version looks much better IMHO. Sleeves are spot on but I'd prefer about 1 1/2" - 2" in the length unless my name was Jeffrey Ross Hyman. Then I'm not regarded in these parts as an expert in jackets conforming to the FL std. fit :)

If you're asking the question ... then you already know the answer ......

As for the " buy higher waist trousers" ..... one suspects that replacing a wardrobe of trousers / jeans with a higher waist selection is significantly more hassle than just getting a longer jacket ... just again MHO !!!!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have to say you guys like your jackets short .... if you leaned over to reach the bars you'd get a right draft in yer kidneys ! The Photoshopped version looks much better IMHO. Sleeves are spot on but I'd prefer about 1 1/2" - 2" in the length unless my name was Jeffrey Ross Hyman. Then I'm not regarded in these parts as an expert in jackets conforming to the FL std. fit :)

If you're asking the question ... then you already know the answer ......

As for the " buy higher waist trousers" ..... one suspects that replacing a wardrobe of trousers / jeans with a higher waist selection is significantly more hassle than just getting a longer jacket ... just again MHO !!!!

Plumb, you've stuck with your guns all along with the fits YOU ENJOY with your jackets. That's the bottom line, as people have said-if it feels good on you, keep it and enjoy it. Same with the OP. Validation is nice, and I think there's enough here with the Sheene confirming it looks alright, but validation ain't important in the grand scheme of things.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can get a pair of Wrangler Cowboy Cuts from Shepler's for about $25.00. Nice, fairly high rise on them, and they're well-made.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Both the true jacket and the photoshop look great to me.
It doesn't look at all 'short' on you I would say.

Ultimately though its what you are comfortable wearing and if you are always feeling it is too short when wearing it then you know how you yourself feel in the jacket.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I agree that the jacket looks great as is. I also agree that if you have any doubt in your mind, it will never be right. I like a shorter half belt and as long as it covers your belt, I think it is fine. Personally, I find many of the half belts on this forum too long, but many do wear lower-rise trousers and the additional length is necessary.

dan_t

Practically Family
Agreeing with the general consensus here, I think it looks great as is. Is it really worth incurring the losses that flipping it for another jacket would bring?
I mean, just look at how the elbow creases have developed, Aero can't be expected to take that back and do a remake when the back measurement is 'within acceptable tolerances' as you have stated.

The jacket fits you 10/10, by the way.
I have to say you guys like your jackets short .... if you leaned over to reach the bars you'd get a right draft in yer kidneys !

Yeah, but the length of XOX's jacket is consistent with the length of most motorcycle jacket. 99% of MC jackets are around 25", and considering that this style is based on a riding jacket, I would say that adding an inch or two to the style would throw the proportions off. I'm sure Aero designed it around the 25" - 26" back length. If you look at the Stock CR jackets on Aero's sale page, you'll notice they're all at around this length. There's just one with 27" back, and it's a size 48 jacket.

Plumbline

One Too Many
My Schott 141 (42") has a back length of 27" ( albeit it was a 1969 design and the original Fonda jacket was 4" extended beyond the zip to create the "Captain America" jacket - I've actually handled an original jacket from the movie at LOTM and it was super long almost 30" I'd guess .. almost LHB length ); Vanson Model A (42") 27"; "Rush" (Daytona - Custom) 25" front 27.5" rear and I'm 5'8" /170cm ... ok 5' 7 1/2" :) ( the pics are on here ... it's too feckin difficult to upload to Photobucket etc. ) look at the pictures on the Vanson website of Cafe Racers ... they generally sit about on or even cover the seam on the top pocket of "normal" jeans and sit on the top of rear pockets. The perfecto style bike jacket sits on the belt line that's why it has a belt .... ( there is a reason most M/C jackets were extended in the kidney area in the 60's and 70's )

Look at the length of the J100 in the original Buco Ads form the early 1950's ( Rin MJACOLD -P98 and P108.... it was originally designed to be worn OUTSIDE OR TUCKED IN THE PANTS ( their words not mine) now even my vintage repro 1950's levis would need a significantly longer jacket than a modern belt length to be tucked in ) in fact the Brooks and Buco J series cafe racers ( or racing shirts) of the late 50's extended the length even further to 4" or 5" beyong the end of the zipper which was designed to sit at hip length. The Beck 666-RS from 1956 ( P130) shows the Cafe Racer ( Lined Racing Shirt) completely covering the front pockets in fact it's almost mid pocket. Look at the Cafe Racer pics ( leather shirt) in the Sears Roebuck catalogue of Winter 1956 ( p138) these were originally and purposefully long-ish jackets and MUCH longer than the current trend. A belt level Cafe Racer is a modern thing even accounting for a 2-3" lower rise jean line ... maybe that's where the name "hipster" came from :) .

http://surfingbird.ru/surf/fMp.a28aF#.Vzwd4OT2amQ

Mr Chapman demonstrates it quite well here .... though even his is a little short ( though only an inch or so) IMHO based on historic pics.

http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/california-sportswear-racer-jacket-ala.html

Perhaps it's a motorcycling thing .... if it exposes your shirt/T-shirt when sitting on the bike then it's gonna expose your skin if it hits the road .... squat down on your haunches like you were sitting on a motorcycle or taking up a skiing position ..... if the jacket rides above your belt then it's too short, if you'd be sitting on it it's too long .... simple ( this goes for the perfecto style jacket as well TBH !

If you like it at belt length then wear it at belt length ..... it's YOUR jacket .... live and let live and all that.

Edward

Bartender
I too thinknit looks great as is. Elongating a style like this can be done ro suit with modern, low-rise trews, but it does risk throwing the balance all off. We've all seen how bad a jacket can look when it's 3" too long...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I also prefer the longer jacket and personally would probably add a further half inch to increase it by a full two inches. But the short one is certainly acceptable looking and most posters here seem to like short jackets.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Echoing what most other members have said. Its a good length. The jacket ends around your belt and I think that is kinda optimal. You could consider higher rise jeans as that would give the illusion of a longer jacket length.

Dugafola

New in Town
i think either look good but also agree that it may not be worth the money and time to get another one that could actually fall on the longer side of the accepted tolerance...then what?

that said, i'm expecting my sheene really soon and spec'd a 28inch back. i'm 6'3".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy