Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo Cowboy Conversion

Mark G

A-List Customer
Stunning, great job.

I have an Old ten X Stetson that will get the same treatment (only OR) and it's good to know where I can send it.

Thanks

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
Rick -- do you mind sharing the specs on that lid? Width of brim? Height of crown? Width of ribbon?

Cheers,
JtL

...sorry f/ my delay. The specs are as follows;

Brim 2.75"
Ribbon 1.5"
Crown: rear- 4"
front 4.75"
open- 6"
Optimo once had a lrg. thumbnail of the real hat in question. It seems to no longer be on the new updated web site, though.

Orgetorix said:
Looks fantastic, Rick! How stiff is the felt? Most cowboy hats I

see are stiff as a board--was this one that way before you sent it?

No this one was quite soft & supple, real dress weight felt, in my estimation.

Bruneau

Suspended
Great idea. It gave me ideas. :D I have an interchangeable ribbon from my Panama Bob Cuenca that worked great for an occasional new look on my O.R.

and no... I didn't remove the sacred thin Ribbon. ;)

Bruneau

indylion

New in Town
Your hat looks great. A few years I ran into a few guys that work for Steve Harvey. They were wearing straw cowboy hats that were reblocked with the teardrop block.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Rick Blaine said:
Optimo once had a lrg. thumbnail of the real hat in question. It seems to no longer be on the new updated web site, though.

Rick -- thanks for posting the specs. Here is the original thumbnail of the Optimo Mitchum...

MitchumFedora-1.jpg

Your new conversion nails it, and is just beautiful. Congrats!

Cheers,
JtL

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
my optimo conversion

i bid on a C.B. thinking it was an O.R. and i was so happy when i won it off ebay for just $22.00 U.S.
thankfully folks on the fedora lounge set me straight. so i figured why not convert it my self.
first lets look at it the way i got it in the mail.
23ij6nb.jpg

35lxb8n.jpg

ndmph0.jpg

1rc612.jpg

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
disaster strikes

changing the crease from open range to a teardrop wasn't so hard thanks to JTL's workshop but while i was working on the brim i got the leather hat band soaked and it turned into a cracked-up mess, but i was still proud of what i had going so far and wore it while i B.B.Q ed at my mother in laws 80th birthday.
the smoke and fingerprints that resulted made the poor hat a mess and while trying to brush it clean the glued on ribbon fell most of the way off.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
enter optimo

so i sent the poor thing off to chi-town after reading this thread.here is how it came back.
347ic6v.jpg

mc65on.jpg

2lut9o5.jpg

brim:2 7/8" down from 3" but sort of Amish looking
turned up all the way around.
ribbon: 1 1/2" up from the thin ribbon maybe 1/4 that came with it
and the color seems to be sort of a cream instead of the snow white it was.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
my touches

all i did was turn the brim down in the front and tighten up the pinch in the crease.
8x4dv7.jpg

npffux.jpg

qnjp50.jpg
2emcr3b.jpg

sorry the head shots failed but i hope that folks can tell if the hat suits me and if they like the job Optimo did on the lid itself. thanks for any input.

I like it a lot, Boater. It has an elegant simplicity -- dark, moderate width ribbon on a light body, raw edge. Nice balance to the dimensions. What makes it all the better is that you'll never see another exactly like it, and that it's likely a higher quality hat than you would have gotten in a new hat for a comparable cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran