Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

DRB

One Too Many
B.J. You honor me sir. Thank you. I do not have a lot of hats. I do however, try to keep the finest that I can acquire. The Optimo 1000 pictured above is very expensive, but not too expensive when you look at the quality of the felt, workmanship, and customer assistance. I could have bought 2 hats for the same price as this one, but they would not possess the fine attributes of the hats pictured above. I do not have a lot of money but when I buy something, I try to buy the best and keep it as long as possible. Slowly accumulating the finer things in life, as I can afford it on a paltry federal employee income. Save your money and only buy the very finest.

Neil

A-List Customer
DRB's hat is a thousand-dollar masterpiece. I doubt I will ever own one. Seeing RLK's, though, has set me to thinking.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Save your money and only buy the very finest.

Sage advice. That’s exactly what I intend to do. Why have many ok hats that don’t get worn very often, when you can have a few nice ones you actually enjoy wearing in the style you’ve always wanted. And on the plus side, it’s still cheaper than either the new table saw setup or some of the Lionel trains I’ve been looking at. :)

Neil

A-List Customer
So as we have all seen, there are two more 7 5/8 Optimos on Ebay, one OR style, and the other a fawn/grey fedora, and the bidding is, respectively, at $309 and $250. So they aren't all going for $150. It's the colors, I tell you. Black doesn't sell. Grey does. Simple as that.

Theodor Adorno

New in Town
I agree, Neil. 99% of the time I will pick a gray hat over any other color.

Hi Bob,

I do think the black ones went for relatively low amounts because they were black,

but I picked up the previous 2 grey/gray Optimos that were up for sale at around the $150 mark, so it's not always clear what is going on in Ebay, it appears to work in mysterious ways!

very best,

Paul.

Neil

A-List Customer
Actually, it is pretty clear.
Those two previous grey Optimos were older models. Different felt. And not as pristine as some of bimmerzimmer's latest offereings. The two going now for above $300 each are new and pristine.
Plus people out there seem to have an obsession with Open Road style hats that I just don't get.
My analysis, at least.
I also think this fellow is letting go of an awfully beautiful collection, that cost an aggregate fortune. The fellow in Beverly Hills did the same last year. . .sold a huge Optimo collections, felts and Montecristis. Maybe people just suddenly get sick of wearing hats.
Good for the rest of us.
Bimmerzimmer is selling a lot of really nice stuff, actually, if you're six four and two thirty.

Hi Bob,

I do think the black ones went for relatively low amounts because they were black,

but I picked up the previous 2 grey/gray Optimos that were up for sale at around the $150 mark, so it's not always clear what is going on in Ebay, it appears to work in mysterious ways!

very best,

Paul.

Theodor Adorno

New in Town
Actually, it is pretty clear.
Those two previous grey Optimos were older models. Different felt. And not as pristine as some of bimmerzimmer's latest offereings. The two going now for above $300 each are new and pristine.
Plus people out there seem to have an obsession with Open Road style hats that I just don't get.
My analysis, at least.
I also think this fellow is letting go of an awfully beautiful collection, that cost an aggregate fortune. The fellow in Beverly Hills did the same last year. . .sold a huge Optimo collections, felts and Montecristis. Maybe people just suddenly get sick of wearing hats.
Good for the rest of us.
Bimmerzimmer is selling a lot of really nice stuff, actually, if you're six four and two thirty.

I'm not sure it actually is that simple - e.g. I noticed that one of Bimmerzimmer's hat was bought and very quickly resold for almost an additional $100. So I'd still suggest that even when very similar items are on offer (in this case the exact same hat) the eventual prices do not always meet rational expectations.

I've bought one of the new and one of the older Optimos, so soon I will be able to do a direct comparison. But, ultimately, I suppose the unpredictability of all this is what makes Ebay fascinating/infuriating depending on which end of the deal you come out on.

best,

Paul.

Neil

A-List Customer
If I were bimmerzimmer, I'd be a happy cat. That OR went for $430, plus shipping. That's a hell of a price for a used hat. Again, I don't get the OR fixation out there.
And the other went for $330. Both bought by the same guy. $760 for two second-hand hats. Says a lot for Graham's product. (I think at that price point, I'd just get a new one custom made, but what do I know?)
I followed bimmerzimmer's stuff pretty closely and I didn't see anyone turn a hat around, unless it was that grey one a few weeks ago that wound up going for $325. That what you were talking about? Was that a bimmerzimmer hat originally?
But you're right about the frustrations and joys of EBay.

I'm not sure it actually is that simple - e.g. I noticed that one of Bimmerzimmer's hat was bought and very quickly resold for almost an additional $100. So I'd still suggest that even when very similar items are on offer (in this case the exact same hat) the eventual prices do not always meet rational expectations.

I've bought one of the new and one of the older Optimos, so soon I will be able to do a direct comparison. But, ultimately, I suppose the unpredictability of all this is what makes Ebay fascinating/infuriating depending on which end of the deal you come out on.

best,

Paul.

Neil

A-List Customer
My goodness, you're absolutely right. Not only did he turn around and resell it, he used bimmerzimmer's original pictures, distinctive by the spot on the light sensor that shows up in every picture. Ah, capitalism.

Neil

A-List Customer
Does anyone know anything about that linen newsboy cap Graham sold for awhile? What did he charge for it? Has anyone worn one? Does a newsboy work in the summer?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My wife makes fun of me wearing a hat in the house. Anyone else have that problem?

My wife never sees how much mirror time I put in with my various hats, but that's because I scrupulously wait until she is out before doing it. The mirror time, by the way, helps me to see what goes with the hat and just how strong the hat is to wear a lot. Some of them are, some aren't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou