Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering Japanese Real McCoys...

Rufus

Practically Family
I must admit I find it baffling how difficult it is to get some of the 'rare' style jackets by Japanese makers.

I'd have thought some enterprising chaps in the US or UK would produce them too...seeing as that's where most of these designs originate.

I can't believe these wouldn't sell in places like 'American Classics' in London etc...

:) rufus

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
That's just it, I think. The Eastman Werber and various classic civvy Aeros sell pretty well in Europe, and everybody seems to crave an A-1 now that they're more available. The specialty market is becoming more about jackets AS jackets, not just about WW2 or flying..

Rufus

Practically Family
Exactly..I'm keener to get my hands on more civvie jackets, rather than military ones.(heresy, I hear hollered..!!)

I get quite depresssed seeing the great array of MC jackets available in Japan...and they all would fit me too...sigh...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Rufus said:
I must admit I find it baffling how difficult it is to get some of the 'rare' style jackets by Japanese makers.

I'd have thought some enterprising chaps in the US or UK would produce them too...seeing as that's where most of these designs originate.

I can't believe these wouldn't sell in places like 'American Classics' in London etc...

Rufus,

That's an interesting comment. I'm currently talking to some of my ex-colleagues from the old Belstaff days about making limited edition speciality clothing, but we can't agree on what our product range should be.

Alan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Rufus said:

American Classics actually used to sell some Buzz Rickson and Real McCoys jackets, Hawaiian shirts and various bits.

There is ONE enyerprising chap in the US making authentic Flight Jackets-

Didn't you see this thread..?

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=20492

B
T

Rufus

Practically Family
Alan,
I do hope you and your Belstaff mates do a range...that would be great...

I'd like to see some nice 30s jackets, good silhouettes, d pockets, half belts, action backs..

mmmm...

:)

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Here is the Bronco Goatskin I just got from John Chapman's new company. It is outstanding and the goatskin is just like that on my original Doniger. In fact, I am ordering a Doniger from him. I get a bit edgy wearing the original even though it is in great shape.
front_view_flat-4.jpg

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Rufus said:
Alan,
I do hope you and your Belstaff mates do a range...that would be great...

I'd like to see some nice 30s jackets, good silhouettes, d pockets, half belts, action backs..

mmmm...

:)

Rufus,

Other companies have the 'Buco repro' thing covered and Schott do their own and Beck's (with mixed success IMO). We could only do a limited range. I'd like to do a few examples of 1930s UK and German motorcycle leathers myself (nobody seems to do those), but my potential colleagues are more keen on re-creating 60s waxproofed cotton gear. One guy has the original patterns for the 60s Trialmaster suit and the others are keen to do the ISDT version of the TM with a logo and lining similar to the original. If we could use the B name (like most A-2 reproducers do) I think this would be OK, but otherwise I can't see it working. If we went too near the present company's 'brand image' (whatever that means) I think we would be forever facing legal action.

I dunno.

Alan

Rufus

Practically Family
Very wise Alan.... I have a good friend who's spent the last twenty years with 'co-creators' in and out of court..they only people who've benefitted are their legal teams!

Personally I'd be more interested in the options you've suggested (the 30-40s British), as opposed to the 60s wax jackets, which though now pricey, you can find.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
greyhound68 said:
Here is the Bronco Goatskin I just got from John Chapman's new company. It is outstanding and the goatskin is just like that on my original Doniger. In fact, I am ordering a Doniger from him. I get a bit edgy wearing the original even though it is in great shape.
front_view_flat-4.jpg

Greyhound, what was the price on this jacket? It looks fantastic.

fedoralover

greyhound68

A-List Customer
fedoralover said:
Greyhound, what was the price on this jacket? It looks fantastic.

fedoralover

I am going to post a new thread with more photos. It was $830 because I supplied my own zipper a crown. 880 with a NOS talon.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
On topic, if you actually want to order Real McCoy's Japan, there are respectable middlemen (I recommend http://www.bid-service.jp/) you can contact who will purchase items for you from Japan and mail them to Europe or USA for a ten percent fee.

I made a post on it for the vintage leather jacket forum, but I can't seem to log-in there anymore and I think I have posted about this here before where somebody wanted to buy one of the Steve McQueen sweatshirts.

At any rate, I have ordered several times through http://www.bid-service.jp/ and never had a problem. You pay the money and it comes extremely quickly. It isn't cheap, but it is great service. He can get Real McCoys and any other Japanese brand. He can also find stuff that isn't available on the web.

RMJP makes some great stuff. Good luck!

Rufus

Practically Family
Thank you Pablo, much appreciated, I'll definitely get in touch with them.

The fellow I tried on Ebay never got back to me...neither did any of the japanese online shops.

I'm waiting for a catalogue from RMNZ who're gonna be doing their versions of jackets they used to make for RMNZ and The Few..I'll post it online when I receive it.

:) Rufus

John Lever

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
Rufus,

Other companies have the 'Buco repro' thing covered and Schott do their own and Beck's (with mixed success IMO). We could only do a limited range. I'd like to do a few examples of 1930s UK and German motorcycle leathers myself (nobody seems to do those), but my potential colleagues are more keen on re-creating 60s waxproofed cotton gear. One guy has the original patterns for the 60s Trialmaster suit and the others are keen to do the ISDT version of the TM with a logo and lining similar to the original. If we could use the B name (like most A-2 reproducers do) I think this would be OK, but otherwise I can't see it working. If we went too near the present company's 'brand image' (whatever that means) I think we would be forever facing legal action.

I dunno.

Alan

Alan, I too am a fan of those 30's German moto leathers, particularly with the slant button front. Hein Geicke made a few versions some years ago and these occasionally come on German ebay, but are usually to small for me.
[44] I bought one recently for £30 and will post some shots when I replace some lost buttons.

John Lever

One Too Many
Rufus said:
Thank you Pablo, much appreciated, I'll definitely get in touch with them.

The fellow I tried on Ebay never got back to me...neither did any of the japanese online shops.

I'm waiting for a catalogue from RMNZ who're gonna be doing their versions of jackets they used to make for RMNZ and The Few..I'll post it online when I receive it.

:) Rufus
Rufus, try this shop. They have the usual e-mail type form and have always replied to my requests.-
★milwaukee★
E-mail Address(es):
milwaukee@mil-mil.net

Hope this helps.
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred