Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original Buco in size 46 new main and side zip.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Hello friends,

My often abused buco got a new main and side zippers. The zips were 1954 NOS natural color cotton tape dyed in a dark flat brown. However, the slider and pull on the side pocket were removed to experiment with the finish. I do not like the way the new side zipper looks with the rest of the jacket.
I have experimented "antiquing" zippers with acceptable results. Can any of you share your techniques in making a new looking zip look old? The slider and the pull are my main concern at the moment?
As a note, My buco came with both talon and conmar Mili zips. Conmar are on the rear pocket and side pockets. The cotton and the pulls have not held as well as the talons. Just my objective observation. I love both brands!

IMG_5625.jpg
IMG_5626.jpg
IMG_5627.jpg
IMG_5628.jpg

Here are some images of this beauty. I believe is at least 60 years old? This baby has held up much better than me. LOL.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I am including more images. The first one shows the conmar zipper replaced. The pull and slider will be used to replace the damaged one. The other images show the front of the jacket. The main zipper looks older due to the solution used when the cotton tape was dyed. I know the images on the side zipper pull and slider do not show the "new" look of the brass. Believe me is there. It does stand out. The main zipper is not as bad.
IMG_5633.jpg
IMG_5632.jpg
IMG_5629.jpg

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
If you want to 'age' zippers...Some vintage guitar players have 'relic' techniques for chrome or nickel plated parts..something that you might be able to look into, which may or may not work, I don't know..., but something new is only new once even if it's NOS condition... just be patient and those zips will age in awhile on their own naturally IMHO. Just wait and give it some time, honest they look good and only you will know the difference. The Jacket looks amazing, well maybe the tag is looking a bit tattered, I'd try to preserve that more than trying to make the new zips look 'timeworn' but it's a beautiful Jacket for sure!!

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the pointers. You know, the tag looks better in the flesh. I think is the back gold threads showing. However, I will look into to it. This one has been with me for a very long time I wear it often and takes a beating. It is my lost worlds jackets that are currently the closet queens. What is really interesting to me is how this garment has survived so many things. I almost give it away to my flight instructor in Russia. However, I did good on my promise and got him an authentic 50's Cal. (He is a big James Dean fan).

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
If you want to 'age' zippers...Some vintage guitar players have 'relic' techniques for chrome or nickel plated parts..something that you might be able to look into, which may or may not work, I don't know...,
This is true, generally it involves shutting the parts in a small airtight container suspended above some white wine vinegar or similar and letting it work its magic - it would be more difficult with zippers attached to a jacket though. A similar effect can be achieved a lot quicker directly applying PCB etching solution, but it is nasty stuff and best avoided imo (unless etching PCBs, of course).

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
This is true, generally it involves shutting the parts in a small airtight container suspended above some white wine vinegar or similar and letting it work its magic - it would be more difficult with zippers attached to a jacket though. A similar effect can be achieved a lot quicker directly applying PCB etching solution, but it is nasty stuff and best avoided imo (unless etching PCBs, of course).

Thanks for the info. In my view, Vinegar cleans brass and copper and well as other metals. I have used it to clean some nasty looking zips. Importantly, I never use vinegar on nickel plated zippers. For my personal jacket, I have obtained the results I wanted by using brown permanent markers along with some black shoe wax. You have to really pay close attention to my jacket to tell which one are the replacement zips.

Will post images if there is any interest in the results. However, the camera sometimes does not reflect the actual results.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I wanted to mention I build my own guitar effects pedals from kits or starting with a PCB, but not gone as far as etching my own PCB's yet. I have made myself a small assortment of homemade effects pedals which work well, however, I'm not for 'aging' my guitar parts to match vintage guitars...sorry to derail the thread here about this but It's actually a really cool hobby minus the inhaling of solder flux fumes etc.

It has been time and effort well spent. I taught myself a lot, and the important thing is to take your time with projects. Seriously it can wait!!

The pedals I've built so far over the last few years are things like:

a tone booster, a green ringer (like an ampeg scrambler) a Shine Ei FY-2 fuzz, a systech harmonic energizer, a couple rare things like a Graphic fuzz, and a couple more things, a Gristleizer...that's a good one!!

As for the Jacket zippers, I honestly would just leave them be, and they will probably 'age' with some general wear and use before you even know it.

Just handling things with your bare hands will definitely tone down the shine off anything metal, you know?

Anything like 'brasso' will remove some of the metal and once that happens I find that the parts get dull again pretty quickly and require a regular polishing from time to time to look their best.

what you have here in those photos is great looking to my eye and I'd just leave it alone and enjoy!!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
First, how and when did you get that? Love it! Yours look better than mine. The original zips and high dome bars look perfect. True time machine find. Now, this is the second size 46 I ever have seen. I need to get out more. Just one more question, I see the left chest pocket zipper is a conmar. Which brand name are the zips on your hand warmer/map pockets? Mine is Conmar.
Mine was listed as a 'The Real McCoy's Buco' on a French consignment website. The heavily oxidized hardware (zippers were fully black) gave it away that this was actually the real deal.

Conmar chest pocket zipper, all others are talon.

I'm surprised how thick the leather is. Easily the heaviest vintage jacket I own and have handled. Leather is thicker than vintage cal or star glove. Yet it's supple like it was made yesterday.

4D0EA79F-A50C-4DC7-9782-F869C2418F15.jpeg
999302F2-B91D-4FC1-901C-6EA02AC0F62B.jpeg
F63798AA-3EC3-4A4F-9357-67DE3CA9050D.jpeg
15BD74DE-FDA7-4979-8632-F92D0A830405.jpeg
A09ECB39-4134-4A63-ACE6-96B1528D53B3.jpeg
931111CF-156C-4ED7-94B0-A97CC5A6014F.jpeg
43857965-BF61-45B6-AC10-D799D674C76B.jpeg
043E7C2A-423B-4543-9DEB-CC99A33FD2BD.jpeg
42214E3F-C600-4E54-8C3F-E22D52C2066E.jpeg
6EABC163-6896-402C-8F1A-9B6FF655D0F7.jpeg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
You want to trade. LOL. Your jacket hide is different than my size 46. Yours is the older hide. Love that hide. Very much like two of my HD. I have the very same type in the very first j24 I got in 1979. However, that jacket no longer fits. My current 46 is very stiff not as thick or heavy as yours. I am looking to improve the feel and flexibility of my jacket. I have tried my own homemade conditioner but my jacket is still very stiff. One of the many things I love about your jacket is the leather finish it has. Did you do a similar procedure to this jacket as your restoring leather previous post? Or did you do a little extra on this one? I welcome any input you can share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112