Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original Dubow 27798 size 44

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been searching for a really decent original Dubow in a size 44 from the 27798 contract for some years. Smaller sizes often come up for sale, but not the larger ones. Therefore when an all original size 44 turned up a few weeks ago on Ebay I could not let it go!

The jacket needed very little doing to it. The russet horse hide has been given a coat of Pecards, minor repairs were carried out on the wristlets. Unfortunately the Crown zipper was broken on both sides and had to be replaced if the jacket was to be worn. I replaced it with a NOS Talon, which was used on this contract. The lining is in good order and a bonus is the original size tag in the right pocket.

Studying the jacket carefully I noticed that on the epaulets are painted major's oakleaves. These were not mentioned in the listing, perhaps because they have faded over time. The stitching which varies from light brown to olive drab is all in tact.

I have owned several Dubows in the past and this is the nicest by far! The horse hide is supple, with bags of character and is not typical of the leather used to make Dubows from this contract. It appears to be veg tanned and aniline dyed rather than the more usual spray finished leather used in the 27798 contract. It is more typical of the hh used on the first two Dubow contracts. I suspect this was an early production jacket within this large contract which was awarded in the Spring of 1942.

001-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

007.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Beautiful jacket. For information purposes, how long is the sleeve on this jacket? I'm looking for the right size in an original A-2 for myself.

The leather is perfect. How come my aniline dyed jacket has more scuffs after 6 weeks than yours does after 60 years?

aswatland

The measurements are: pit: 23", sleeves:24", shoulders: 19", down the back:25.5". When the jacket arrived it showed signs of wear, but a coat of Pecards works wonders!

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
great looking and great fit ! when you get your vintage jackets do you spray the inside with anything ? like Febreze or cloth disinfectant ? thanks.

aswatland

I only occasionally have to spray them with freshener. Hanging them outside to air works wonders. The hardest smell to eradicate is BO under the armpits whilst the smell of mothballs fades much quicker!

aswatland

Andrew,
That is an amazing jacket. The hide has tons of character! are the oak leaves painted or decaled? Awesome congratulations!
John

Thanks. The oak leaves appear to be painted.They are not identical to each other and the thread has absorbed some of the paint.

Flyderf

New in Town
When I look at those pictures I curse my genetics. I will probably never find a good condition size 48. I just don't think I've ever seen an original A2 in a bigger size. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Windsock

A-List Customer
When I look at those pictures I curse my genetics. I will probably never find a good condition size 48. I just don't think I've ever seen an original A2 in a bigger size. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Not that hard to find. I have two, a Perry and a RW27752. They just cost a lot more :)

If you're interested in a premium RW drop me a line.

D

Deleted member 16736

I've probably seen you wearing a dozen or so of your jackets, and this one fits and looks the best. I would wear it every day. It's not a museum piece; it's a jacket and it looks good you. Enjoy it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy