Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original WWII B-10 Flying Jacket USAAF - FOR SALE

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180904439693

This early B-10 Intermediate flight jacket made by a company called 'Stagg,' was introduced in mid-1943 to the US Army Air Forces as a replacement to the summer weight leather A-2 and the heavier B-3.

Later models would sport the shoulder epaulettes, which this one doesn't have, being one of the first into mid war service with air crew based in the European Theatre of Operations (ETO), such as the 8th Air Force, 9th and the 15th.

The specially woven sateen cotton cloth, coupled with a alpaca wool lining, and a plush mouton fur collar, made for a more versatile flight jacket which would give a balance of ease of movement, less weight, more warmth. However, because these were made of cotton fabric, now 70 years later much fewer of these flying jackets exist due to them having perished over several decades.

So, this makes this jacket from WW2 rather special indeed. The sateen cotton body is very strong to the point that this is a very wearable jacket. The knits are all strong. There are some moth nips (see photos) but the original knits are still very strong and wearable.

The mouton fur is shiney and deep and just looks great. Original wartime Conmar Zipper with the original leather pull. No issues, all teeth are there on this old timer - it works perfectly.

Alpaca wool lining is perfect, as are all the bakelite buttons which have a lovely 'caramel' colour against the green cotton.

No patches, badges, transfers, writing or rank insignia have been on this jacket.

Many of my fellow vintage flight jacket collector friends already know just what a fine specimen of a B-10 this specimen is. I've been lucky to have been it's custodian / keeper for a few years now, but it's time to pass it onto someone else who will enjoy and cherish this piece of WW2 aviation history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21