Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oscar Night

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
sweetfrancaise said:
Me too! It was the highlight of the awards, along with Marion Cotillard and Daniel Day-Lewis winning. Not so happy about most of the other choices, though...

I loved Once--if you haven't seen it it's really worth a look; quiet little movie but the leads (who performed the song) are charming.

Swinton was quite the upset, wasn't she? I was so glad about Marion--she was incredible.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
I loved Once--if you haven't seen it it's really worth a look; quiet little movie but the leads (who performed the song) are charming.

Swinton was quite the upset, wasn't she? I was so glad about Marion--she was incredible.

I've seen Once three times now, and the last time I watched it, I cried through the whole thing. Silly hormones. I love that movie!

Some of the gowns this year were really stunning, Helen Mirren and Katherine Heigl in particular. Very thirties-inspired, I think.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We hosted a free Oscar party at the theatre, which I MC'd along with a gent from the local Film Society, the bar was open upstairs, and libations flowed freely. Very successful night all around -- and the biggest cheer of the evening went up when Stewart brought the gal from Once out to take her bow. Second biggest cheer went up for Diablo Cody, who looked genuinely shocked and surprised to win (Juno is the highest-grossing picture in the history of the Strand, so we had a lot of fans present.)

Cotillard was no surprise -- Swinton definitely was, and she herself looked most surprised of all.

A.R. McVintage

sweetfrancaise said:
Not so happy about most of the other choices, though...

The Coens and their movie deserved everything it got. They are some of the very few post-modern (post the Lucas/De Palma/Spielberg--of which only one is really worth mentioning: the last guy) directors with such a consistently amazing output.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
She does look amazing, I hope my mom can find something similar to that (though not scarlet) for my brother's upcoming wedding.

I hope she does too, though that might be risky as such a dress might upstage the bride! :eek: :D It was a gorgeous dress, and fit Miss Mirren to a T.
ActressDa_Leste_15550806_502.jpg

love0033.gif
love0033.gif
love0033.gif
love0033.gif

And here's Amy Adams, whose dress was also stunning:
ActressAm_Steve_15550607_502.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
LadyStardust said:
I hope she does too, though that might be risky as such a dress might upstage the bride! :eek: :D It was a gorgeous dress, and fit Miss Mirren to a T.
ActressDa_Leste_15550806_502.jpg

love0033.gif
love0033.gif
love0033.gif
love0033.gif

And here's Amy Adams, whose dress was also stunning:
ActressAm_Steve_15550607_502.jpg
Helen always looks amazing. I think I have a small crush on her.
I love Amys dress too but I'm a sucker for green. I thought Marion Cotillard dress was amazing. She looked like a mermaid.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Watched the show last night, it seemed more subdued than other Oscar shows, but I hear they had two weeks to prepare for it.

What was with all the black and red gowns there? I love red, especially deep red, but almost everything was red or black. I was actually delighted when Rene Zelwiger came onstage in her glittery gown and Diablo Cody in a leopard print outfit, complete with wild tattoo on her shoulder.

I wanted Ruby Dee to win, but she didn't. Didn't really care who else got it. Johnny Depp is overdue, but this was Daniel's night.

karol

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
A.R. McVintage said:
The Coens and their movie deserved everything it got. They are some of the very few post-modern (post the Lucas/De Palma/Spielberg--of which only one is really worth mentioning: the last guy) directors with such a consistently amazing output.

Now to be fair, I have yet to see No Country for Old Men, and I wanted to--that wasn't the choice I was disappointed about, 'cause I really respect the Coen Brothers. I'll see if I'm upset after I see the film. Diabolo Cody's win irritated me (I thought Juno was way overrated) and There Will Be Blood deserved far more accolades than it received. I dunno, the nominations are never as thorough as they should be...

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

K.D. Lightner said:
What was with all the black and red gowns there? I love red, especially deep red, but almost everything was red or black. I was actually delighted when Rene Zelwiger came onstage in her glittery gown and Diablo Cody in a leopard print outfit, complete with wild tattoo on her shoulder.

Agreed on Rene. I started a thread in the General Attire forum about the best and worst dressed.

Cody looked tacky. Was that dress from The Flintstone's?*yucky*

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
MK -- It may have been. But, I was so starved for color at that point, I didn't care. She could have come onstage looking like Sheena, Queen of the Jungle. Come to think of it, she did!

Renee was a class act.

karol

A.R. McVintage

sweetfrancaise said:
Now to be fair, I have yet to see No Country for Old Men, and I wanted to--that wasn't the choice I was disappointed about, 'cause I really respect the Coen Brothers. I'll see if I'm upset after I see the film. Diabolo Cody's win irritated me (I thought Juno was way overrated) and There Will Be Blood deserved far more accolades than it received. I dunno, the nominations are never as thorough as they should be...

Day-Lewis really was the best male performance of the year, but Anderson's film really is second to the Coens's in both writing and directing.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
But bowtie? MIA. :(
Yeah...but he is wearing a black shirt. The Grey necktie works, but wouldve been spiffier had he included a matching pocketsquare.
Im just completely amused that the guy made an effort worthy of his stature as a director at an award ceremony.

Sure hope he had on nice shoes, just found this old Alan Light shot of him a tthe 1990 AcademyAwards...
2106647654_72610ffb81.jpg

credit "photo by Alan Light"

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I'm so happy to see that Marion Cotillard had won an oscar!! She's very talented
and her performance in "La m?¥me" is fantastic!!! We are all a bit proud here you know lol lol!!!!!
:eek: I think that the last french actress who won an oscar was Simone Signoret!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael