Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oscar Night

Edward

Bartender
Four in hand in place of a bow

Jovan said:
Not that I have extensive experience wearing black tie, but it's a trend that has been going on for years now from what I've seen. I guess they think it makes them cool.

I'm sure a lot of folks have adopted it as a fashion now, though I have always suspected that it originated as a way of 'softening' a black tie effect. If all the other guys turned up in lounge suits, I think the supposition is, then you look less out of place with a regular tie than a bow. I really don't like to see it myself as it looks tacky - looks to me like someone doesn't 'get' the idea of black tie, or wants to be 'different' than the 'squares' with their bow ties, but hey ho - each to their own, I suppose.

As to the Oscars themselves, I didn't watch. To be honest, I lost interes in them years ago when it became clear to me that they were more about industry politics and fashionable causes than anything else, and often the decisions are wholly unrelated to the performance in respect of which they are nominally awarded. The paradigm case of this was Judi Dench being given an Oscar for her phoned-in performance (all eight minutes of it!) as Elizabeth I in Shakespeare in Love, really an acknowledgement that she had been bassed over the previous year in relation to Mrs Brown. I find pretty much all industry shows like that self-congratulatory and tedious, though I guess winning an Oscar is a big thing for an actor as it seriously increases the value of your brand as box office pull. [huh] To each their own, once again.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BellyTank said:
FatGuy/Bowtie
No Dice.

winston_churchill_1941.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic:
Winston Bloody Churchill! THE MAN! This pic was taken as he was leaving the Canadian Parliament in Ottowa, having just made a great speech and received a rousing ovation. The photographer (whose name escapes me now) had set himself up by the door, and surpirsed Churchill as he came out. He captured Winston in a moment of supreme confidence and command.
NOTE: Striped trousers, double breasted waistcoat, glasses in his waistcoat pocket, and POLKA DOT BOW TIE. Looks like the notes for his speech are still in his coat pocket.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Jovan

Suspended
George Clooney in shawl collar.

022408_clooney_400x400.jpg

Someone on my blog commented that the "plastic buttons" were gross. I didn't see anything wrong with it, though he gets more points if they're mother of pearl. :)

HoneyBee

New in Town
I don't normally watch award shows, but this year's theme was "80 Years of Oscar" or something like that, so my boyfriend and I watched it because his grandfather hosted the Oscars in 1938 - we were hoping they'd have some mention of him somewhere, but in the host montage there was so sight of him.

But, I have a feeling the majority of people watching these days wouldn't know who Bob "Bazooka" Burns is, so I wasn't surprised.

(Is this too off-topic?? I'm so nervous about that now!)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jovan said:

Someone on my blog commented that the "plastic buttons" were gross. I didn't see anything wrong with it, though he gets more points if they're mother of pearl. :)
How could one possibly tell it they're MOP or plastic from that photo? [huh] Personally, I have a feeling that his shirt is probably of a quality which would include MOP buttons, but I'd still be guessing.

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:

022408_clooney_400x400.jpg

Here is G.C. pictured with a beautiful gal and someone on your blog posted about his buttons!? Oh brother. :eusa_doh: :)
Those cats need to get out more.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HoneyBee said:
I have a feeling the majority of people watching these days wouldn't know who Bob "Bazooka" Burns is, so I wasn't surprised.

(Is this too off-topic?? I'm so nervous about that now!)
Don't fret HB, any Golden Era reference is welcome at the Fedora Lounge. ;) I'll admit that I hadn't heard of "Bazooka" Bob but through the magic of Google I found this tidbit.

BTW, my first wife's grandfather was an armament manufacturer whose major claim to fame was being the inventor of the bazooka.

Feraud

Bartender
Agreed.

Overall I think there two ends of the spectrum represented at the Oscars. Those who looked really good and really bad. I did not notice much middle ground... unless they were overshadowed by their peers. [huh]

HoneyBee

New in Town
Tomasso said:
BTW, my first wife's grandfather was an armament manufacturer whose major claim to fame was being the inventor of the bazooka.

Oh how interesting!! Small world.... What was his name?

Well, I had never heard of Bob Burns either until recently! The other weekend we watched one of his movies, "Waikiki Wedding," with Bing Crosby. I thought it was great! Of course, any movie with dreamboats like Bing Crosby is okay by me. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic