Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Other uses for a hat?

Virgil Ante

New in Town
I have shot many a rifle over the top of my hat. In fact I registered to post something on this topic. A wide flat cowboy hat provides the best base. If the hat is placed over a rock, or stump, it doesn't matter. The soft crown is also best, as the weight of the rifle pushes down the hat will grip the stock, adding support. The center dent is almost required for this purpose.

My old stetson cowboy hats (all gone to nephews and sons now) all served this purpose. My old campaign hat didn't do as good a job, but provided some stability over a stump. (you just place the stock on the hard brim, and brace against the crown.) I got rid of this one when a druggy looking teenager tried it on, and I was actually afraid of lice.

A good hat can really help with binoculars too, just grab the brim and clamp down against the top of the glasses.

You can also use your hat as a berry, or mushroom bucket. Just place your scarf inside first.

Oh, since i am new, I have an Akubra Coolabah that sees most of the action now. An Akubra Federation, a Miller Queens (yardwork hat), a Stetson Special, an entry level Montecristi, and just won a Knox hat on ebay.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Virgil Ante said:
I have shot many a rifle over the top of my hat. In fact I registered to post something on this topic. A wide flat cowboy hat provides the best base. If the hat is placed over a rock, or stump, it doesn't matter. The soft crown is also best, as the weight of the rifle pushes down the hat will grip the stock, adding support. The center dent is almost required for this purpose.

My old stetson cowboy hats (all gone to nephews and sons now) all served this purpose. My old campaign hat didn't do as good a job, but provided some stability over a stump. (you just place the stock on the hard brim, and brace against the crown.) I got rid of this one when a druggy looking teenager tried it on, and I was actually afraid of lice.

A good hat can really help with binoculars too, just grab the brim and clamp down against the top of the glasses.

You can also use your hat as a berry, or mushroom bucket. Just place your scarf inside first.

Oh, since i am new, I have an Akubra Coolabah that sees most of the action now. An Akubra Federation, a Miller Queens (yardwork hat), a Stetson Special, an entry level Montecristi, and just won a Knox hat on ebay.

I just read about that in some outdoor magazine. Also, how about a match, lighter, bullit, or cigarette holder (Bonnie and Clyde refernce). Hey Sharpy did you put stuff around your helmet in Vietnam?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Mycroft wrote.

Hey Sharpy did you put stuff around your helmet in Vietnam?

Never wore a helmet in Viet Nam. I was a dog handler "K-9 Corps" So I worked point and with a helmet on you can't hear as good.

This use should be obvious:
pubblicita1.jpg

;)
Regards to all,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Card toss

Don't forget putting on the floor brim up and tossing playing cards into it.
It can hide a kiss, or a whisper.
If you've a mind to and your crown is tall enough, you can make like Lincoln and use it as a filing cabinet.
You can hide folding money in the sweatband.
You can campaign with it, and wave it at the crowds like FDR, TR, Ike, et al.
You can use it at the end of the club meeting to draw names for the door prize.
You can place it on the sidewalk in front of you while you play your sax, to collect tips.
You can pass it in a group to raise quick donations for a cause.
You can throw it in the ring.
You can, when proven improbably wrong, eat it.
In the unlikely event that you're not dreaming after all, you can use it as a fig leaf.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Using it to panhandle for money -- or perhaps I lived in NYC too many years. Sometimes you offer a talent, sometimes you just beg ("Buddy, can you spare a dime?").

karol

art92101

One of the Regulars
Or a dog dish

for man's best friend.
Also in CA a fishing license holder..the license is to be visible somewhere above the waist.

Topper

Vendor
This is actually true - Have a copy in my reference notes somewhere will try and dig it up.

A Top Hat "Camera" - Yes old fashioned on a big tripod, with the old photographic plates. The Topper was mounted on it side with the lense in the Tip of the Toppers crown!

carter

I'll Lock Up
For those who may not want to wear that hat anymore:

Fly swatter.
To fan the flames
To clear the smoke.
Dog beater (last resort)
Looks nice on the donkey pulling the flower cart
Temporary housing for baby squirrels when they fall from the tree
A place to "keep it under"
Bed post topper
For gathering nuts (Foraging as so eloquently noted above)
A semaphore
Frisbee
Something to do when she says, "you can leave your hat on"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo