Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Other uses for a hat?

Aaron Hats

Vendor
I was reading Field & Stream last night and they were giving the 110 best hunting tips. One was that you could use the crease in your western hat to steady the rifle for long range shots. That got me to thinking about what other uses our hats have. I'm going to be compiling a list to post on our website and around the store. I'd like your ideas. Be as clever as you like and have fun.

MJL

One of the Regulars
I have stuffed an newly purchased M1911 into a hat to carry it past the wife when I am walking into the house and don't want her to know what I have spent my "gun" cash on! I also keep keep a copy of my Federal Firearms License (FFL) in the crown of my hat along with a copy of my Florida Concealed Weapons Permit. These are for those moments when I am looking around at places like antique shops and find a bargain I cannot live without but have left my FFL paperwork at home.

MJL

One of the Regulars
Aaron Hats said:
I was reading Field & Stream last night and they were giving the 110 best hunting tips. One was that you could use the crease in your western hat to steady the rifle for long range shots. That got me to thinking about what other uses our hats have. I'm going to be compiling a list to post on our website and around the store. I'd like your ideas. Be as clever as you like and have fun.

By the way this used to be the way some of the old timers did things but I am not sure if this is still done. Out west, where most long range shooting is done, the use of "shooting sticks" has become almost universal among the long range crowd. Oddly, the old style shooting sticks are the old OLD way of doing things. The newer monopod sticks are quite popular these days. Many shooters of the 1920s-60s wore fedoras or cowboy hats as evidenced by photos in magazines of that era. It was pretty common to push the fedora back and up before taking a shot. I can see the need to take a hat off to use the scope but then many if not all hunting rifles of that era used iron sights only. Many of the big gun writers of that era were as known for their hats as they were for their writing. Elmer Keith, O'Conner, Skelton, etc were almost never seen in photos without hats! A few writers in the gun magazines keep that tradition alive today.

Mycroft

One Too Many
I was acually reading on military uniforms and the British Riflemen in Nepolianic Wars (Green Coated ones) acually had a special hat to use as a stand for their rifles acually designed for it. Also, the Orginal Bobby Top hats (in London) in London were so strong you could stand on them.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
stetson_logo_horse.jpg

Your horse always has a water trough when you wear a hat.

Mycroft

One Too Many
I use mine to hold my wallet and such, when I finish the day. Also, a target for my playing card throwing skills, how about a note holder (Abe Lincoln reference). Fly swater, fan (waving it), thing to wave at someone to attrach their attenction, an easy way to pick you out in a crowd (today).

zeus36

A-List Customer
Just watched Blazing Saddles again and saw a few of the townfolk use their hats to smack/swat the preacher while he was disturbing the Waco Kid's aim.

Other uses: (several of the following are used to express one's self)

Tipping the hat as a form of greeting.

Holding your hat over your heart as a salute.

Snapping the brim to show anger or disregard for something/someone.
Flicking the brim to show agreement with someone (acompanied with a grin)
Flinging the hat to show disgust.

Placing the hat on a boulder or stick to act as a decoy.

As a cover during a yawn, cough or sneeze.

Used as a placeholder

swingerkitten

New in Town
I've had dance partners who placed their hat over my camera on a table while we danced, for safe keeping. And my husband used his once to hide my purse when I asked him to hold it for me .

That's a gentleman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters