Over 50 wearing leather jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by HoosierDaddy, Jun 19, 2020.

1. JMax

JMax My Mail is Forwarded Here

Reality looks pretty damn cool to me.

Lebowski, Tom71 and jonesy86 like this.
  2. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

thank you, sir.

JMax likes this.
  3. JMax

Ha, no need for sir with me. It’s the truth. Sir should be coming from my end.

4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

No, I’m only 51. Although my 8 year old has started calling me Grampa.

5. JMax

45 with a 5 year old. I get it.

dudewuttheheck and handymike like this.
  6. Downunder G Man

Downunder G Man One Too Many

A good mate's 80th birthday Harley run to the Swan Valley wine region. ( Where we all had Guinness as you do !)

Left row from rear 63 , 80 ,58

Right row from rear 63 ,61(me) 63, 58

A cool start day , check the heater behind !

Steve's 80th 1.jpg

Steve's 80th 3.jpg

7. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

The video is exactly how I always pictured you.

handymike likes this.
  8. Monitor

Monitor

Lol well tbh, I don't think anyone on the planet would complain to have such a life, albeit without the naked ankles because why. It just takes... 11 million dollars, I suppose.

You have a better looking jacket!

handymike likes this.
  9. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Practically Family

What about Varsity jackets? Can those be worn when over 50?

dudewuttheheck and navetsea like this.
  10. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

that would be fun right, like someone who stuck in time never to graduate, i think if someone is hipster enough he would wear it, I imagine big beard, colorful tattoos everywhere, suspender, bowtie, funky glasses...

Marc mndt likes this.
  11. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I think this whole thread originally came from some posts where we discussed how for many people - especially young women and certainly some I know - leather jackets are old guy jackets. Leather is an older guy's idea of cool. There's something in this. I can't recall seeing young people wearing varsity jackets since 1985, but here in Aust those jackets are not really a thing. I personally dislike the look immensely.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    HoosierDaddy likes this.
  12. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

I don't see why not. Those have gotten to the point of being worn as casual jackets more than they are worn as actual varsity jackets now.

Some people may look at it funny, but people will look at anything funny. You would have to be pretty confident as the irony levels would be high, but I still think it could work.

Marc mndt likes this.
  13. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

probably souvenir jacket is the varsity of 50+ , more luxuriousfabrics, sun rising, heron soaring, fujiyama embroidery probably more hip than letter patch and fleece.

14. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Practically Family

Here in Europe a Varsity jacket is not a thing: you don't get one in college, schools don't award letters. Apart from fashion jackets, the only ones found here are vintage American letter jackets, sold at thrift stores. Mine is a fashion jacket, bought years after I graduated hehe. I do wear it quite a lot. 0F4F3927-EDDD-4B1F-852E-5070CFB485E7.jpeg

Turnip, Imuricecreamman and Monitor like this.
  15. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

mine was full olive, with blue embroidery word "arsitektur" in times new roman and probably elsewhere says "97" I threw away after I graduated since it was really bad quality unlined jacket made from drill just taking the model.

my highschool version was more fun there was a happy shark with sunglasses embroidery on the back ( I was asked to drew it for my class) and it was 2 sided jacket dark blue body with shark on the back and light blue sleeve, the other side magenta body with tan sleeve and student's nickname on the chest, I wore that a lot more, really good quality jacket.

16. JMax

I’ve got varsity jackets and sweaters that I only wear at university functions or get togethers. They don’t feel right on me outside of those events.

17. Cyber Lip

Cyber Lip Practically Family

Richie Cunningham and Archie both wore varsity jackets and looked OK

18. technovox

technovox Practically Family

Why not leather over 50? The best part of getting older is we finally get to do what we want, when we want, with whomever we want...and if someone doesn't like it, that's their problem.
    Over 50 (actually over 60,) wearing a vintage Bates CR... in front of Excelsior Coffee Shop.

excelsior4_3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  19. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I think it's mainly over 50's who are wearing the leather jackets. This thread is a celebration of age feeling free to do its thing.

technovox, Dav and jonesy86 like this.
  20. earl

earl One of the Regulars

I don't see many leather jackets worn these days around here period. But, will say that, when I do, it's by middle-aged men. I do have an old, (cheap), jacket I wear-I'm 66.