Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Over 50 wearing leather jackets

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Do Australian-born folks even understand the concept of Winter? Seems to me there's two seasons down there - nice Summer (which they call Winter), and unbearable heat (which they call Summer).

You probably know this but Australia is huge - the size of America - and has many regional climates. Right now in winter, depending on where you are, it may be 0 degrees or colder and with wind chill, pretty darn cold for a warm place. It's 9 degrees here at the moment and I am wearing my warmest t-shirt.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Indeedy , my brother in Tasmania has had his logburner stove on daily 24/7 for over 2 months.
For 7 years prior to Tasmania my brother lived at height/elevation out of Healesville Victoria.
He was a 12K gravel road drive from a ski-lift ! Snow EVERY winter without fail, and 35C every summer.
Our logburner in WA is only on of a night. we got 23C today and very light easterly , quite a pleasant day.
Whereas up at the barrier reef in Queensland no snow , no frost , ( cyclones/humidity aside very pleasant !)

Edward

Bartender
Funny thing is that's not a side we ever hear about up here - anyone I've ever known or known of who moved down there only ever talked up how warm it was. THose figurews for Aus look pretty good to me, but then you have to remember I'm designed for a climate that averages 8.9Celsius annually, with a July average of 14C. 0 would be a fairly standard January right enough back in Belfast, but 9C you're talking early Autumn / well into Spring. That's a perfect temperature in my eyes. Anything above 12 and I can't wear a leather jacket, so what's the point of that? ;)

Edward

Bartender
"Correctamundo" to paraphrase the A2 wearing "Fearless Fonzarelli"

All relative, though, innit? Decades ago one of my primary sachool teachers did an exchange for a year with a teacher from Haiwaii. She brought back these great photos of her there in the height of their Winter with all the classroom windows open, sweltering in her Summer dress, and the local kids sitting wearing their coats inside. :D

skybert

One of the Regulars
Funny thing is that's not a side we ever hear about up here - anyone I've ever known or known of who moved down there only ever talked up how warm it was. THose figurews for Aus look pretty good to me, but then you have to remember I'm designed for a climate that averages 8.9Celsius annually, with a July average of 14C. 0 would be a fairly standard January right enough back in Belfast, but 9C you're talking early Autumn / well into Spring. That's a perfect temperature in my eyes. Anything above 12 and I can't wear a leather jacket, so what's the point of that? ;)

I agree! I was on exchange in Brisbane. "Winter" began around June and the heat went from too much to simply pleasant. Traveled south by train. In Coffs Harbour I sold my only jacket to a guy who got out of prison the same day and liked the jacket...Next day I get off the train in Sydney, and it's just above freezing. First thing I did was find a new jacket at a thrift shop. Australia is HUGE, beautiful, and definitely more than the tropical Disneyland some make it out to be.

PS tmitchell is killing it in this thread.

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
20191011_082100-01.jpeg

20190927_082102-01-01.jpeg

Here's a 51 y.o. guy.

westportrich

One of the Regulars
Age has nuthin to do with it. Alternatively, it's about two things your style and how you carry yourself. If you know who you are and have the right style you can be cool at any age in any clothing. If you're overall appearance is bad the right clothing won't help you much.

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
They really did. You should sell it to me IMMEDIATELY. Kidding aside, it looks really great.....but seriously, sell it to me.

LOL, thanks, I think it'll stay for a long time unless I outgrow it :)

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Aero Highwayman Blue label in brown steer today. (Smells divine). "Still aged 61...."
One of my (many) non-riding favourites. Dry and 17C at the time of the photo but with a "pregnant" sky !
Within 10 minutes of this shot the "winter" rain set in from the sou' west.
Down at my local "British" themed pub for a lunchtime pint of "Single Fin" pacific ale on draught.
We are hoping that such behaviour can continue as Victoria in the east is on COVID-19 lockdown again.
This pub does $15 AUD Steak dinners on a Wednesday night , so I will be back down with my riding crew (and others) to indulge. It may well be an umbrella adventure as it's a walk job from home.

Aero Highwayman Blue label July.jpg

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
OK these photos have been already listed in other threads. We had a "cool" Harley run today , 12 of us.
Two dudes were 58 , and as is now well logged , I am 61.
Our oldest rider today on his Harley Ultra trike is 90 next year 2021.
This shot taken on the Fremantle wharf next to an excellent Italian café , so glad that is open after 3 months+ of COVID

Schott 441PP Fremantle 1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points