Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Over 50 wearing leather jackets

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Schott 641HH café racer today for the winter Tuesday Harley ride. A gloomy day the harbinger of tomorrow's coming rain.

Rain until next Tuesday is the forecast as of tomorrow arvo. Still 61 haha...

View attachment 248460

Same photo – four different threads on the same day:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ou-wearing-today.82949/page-1261#post-2696431

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/over-50-wearing-leather-jackets.101020/page-7

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/footwear-to-go-with-our-jackets.91962/page-54

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/lets-see-those-motorcycle-jackets.96730/page-19#post-2696436

giphy.gif

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
What is "ridiculous" is the self imposed "forum police" getting ants in their pants over nothing !

It is by nature a public forum with lots of good info and ideas.

AND a few "moaning minnies"...

Get over yourself , I have witnessed this type of sniping from you before now as have others I am sure.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
What is "ridiculous" is the self imposed "forum police" getting ants in their pants over nothing !

It is by nature a public forum with lots of good info and ideas.

AND a few "moaning minnies"...

Get over yourself , I have witnessed this type of sniping from you before now as have others I am sure.
I follow a number of threads in the outerwear section because I'm interested in the different subject matters. I must say, seeing exactly the same post on each thread is somewhat annoying. And it has been for some time.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
The first brown sports jacket is awsome, dont know what it is but i dig it, be well brother!
Very late reply.
Hey Mac:
Thanks. It’s a 2004 (i believe) one off Aero halfbelt in Antique Steer from @HoosierDaddy. Aero only made one testing this hide and lining. I was very, very fortunate to have acquired it. It is a special one to me especially coming from HD.
Be well and safe.
Bowen

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I am 50 on the button. I too was concerned that I needed to get rid of my leather....F THAT ! I just picked up another 5 within the past year or two.

Keep those jackets. The original conversations about this was that leather jackets tend to be worn by older men. Why? Maybe it's a generational fashion thing. I rarely if ever see anyone under 50 wearing a leather jacket and the young women where I work call my leathers, 'the old guy jackets'. Which I used to resent because for me the old guys in leather are the ones wearing the baggy light brown, pre distressed leather A2 style flying jackets, kept since the 1984. Errrrrr.

Leather can be tricky.

I think I look like this.

Pitt.jpg

I'm worried I look like this.

Crowe.jpg

Sonero

Practically Family
It all depends how you wear it. I would also like to say that some guys choose horrible leather jackets. Ie. The flimsy long leather trench coat. There are many incredibly attractive leather jackets out there for different occasions. It isn't fair to lump them in one sum.
Suede is super elegant as well.
Guys on here have great jackets. Let the Nike crowd drown in rubber and plastic. :)

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Keep those jackets. The original conversations about this was that leather jackets tend to be worn by older men. Why? Maybe it's a generational fashion thing. I rarely if ever see anyone under 50 wearing a leather jacket and the young women where I work call my leathers, 'the old guy jackets'. Which I used to resent because for me the old guys in leather are the ones wearing the baggy light brown, pre distressed leather A2 style flying jackets, kept since the 1984. Errrrrr.

Leather can be tricky.

View attachment 248690

View attachment 248691

Seb sir, which is the "real you" ?

Leather can be tricky.

View attachment 248690

View attachment 248691

Spoiler alert: You look like both! :D To people that dislike leather jackets or don't see them as anything special, guy in the first photo will look like the one in the photo bellow. Crowe, by the way, wears a nicer jacket and wears it better than that nylon coat Pitt is wearing.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Today's jacket of choice ( now I am EXTREMELY sorry that I have posted this jacket before now !)
Aero steerhide Highwayman Blue label. Shot taken with an interesting Indian Ocean backdrop on a lovely pre storm day.
Why ? Because I was over there anyway for morning coffee, "celebrating" being 61 with my lovely wife !!
Aero Highwayman blue label at North beach 1.jpg

Ok I could have had the snap taken in my kitchen/living area yadayada ( like some here do , that's for them !).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It all depends how you wear it. I would also like to say that some guys choose horrible leather jackets. Ie. The flimsy long leather trench coat. There are many incredibly attractive leather jackets out there for different occasions. It isn't fair to lump them in one sum.
Suede is super elegant as well.
Guys on here have great jackets. Let the Nike crowd drown in rubber and plastic. :)

What I have learned is this, it's all personal taste and there are many jackets I don't like the look of. But I wear what I want, and am under no illusions that I may well look faintly ludicrous to a woman half my age. That won't just be down to the jacket. However I'm tall with a No 2 crop and I actually look like mildly annoyed bouncer, so probably no one's laughing. I'm quite happy also with my fleece and soft-shell nylon so, sue me. :p

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Spoiler alert: You look like both! :D To people that dislike leather jackets or don't see them as anything special, guy in the first photo will look like the one in the photo bellow. Crowe, by the way, wears a nicer jacket and wears it better than that nylon coat Pitt is wearing.

You're right... but I was aiming mainly for humor. I dislike both looks for the real world but I only wear black and have a goatee... so...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up

Leather can be tricky.

View attachment 248690

View attachment 248691
I don't get it, I only see Brad Pitt head sticking out from black body bag and a puff of cumulus cloud:D

zebedee

One Too Many
I think that you should wear whatever you like unless you're going to get fired for it. Don't worry too much about what other people might be thinking in any context apart from work unless they're about to give you a kicking.

Most people think about themselves a lot of the time and put themselves at what they perceive is the centre of others' thought patterns- this is usually a mistake, although we all do it. I tried to stop wearing leather jackets into work when a couple of colleagues commented on it negatively, but then when a few of them said that they really liked the jackets, I started wearing them to work occasionally (but we generally weren't required to abide by a particular dress code). If I have to wear formal clothing, I'm probably avoiding leather jackets - it'd be a bit like wearing a wool watch cap with a suit - just doesn't go together, but I reckon that a half belt, chinos and a decent shirt are ok in most settings. I'll definitely wear a leather jacket to the pub and almost anywhere outside work.

I think it's more often about weight and posture than age when it comes to clothing, really, and probably the right haircut helps, too - I walked around with a grade 1 all over from about 18 to 40 before realising a couple of years ago that it might not have suited me and grew it a bit. Losing a couple of inches of the waist, putting shoulders back and cheerful confidence (or a seething, pugnacious demeanour that no-one can quite prove) lets you wear what you like out of office hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass