Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

overnight bag

I have 2 of the carry on bags from Shooting Systems made from ballistic nylon. They really hold up but hardly look vintage. ( I would like to get their Garment Bag sometime.)

If you have one of those ubiquitous black bags, you can make it stand out with your own customizing mark. There are various colored cloth tapes that are similar to duct tape, if you wrap a little around one of the handles and have a colorful luggage tag it makes it stand out in the airport carosel.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
bagleather002.jpg
/

That bag is gorgeous! I'll have to check them out. I particularly like the vintage-looking monogram! Did they do that for you?

Also, this just in from J. Crew:

erez.jpg

Wexler & Co. Type II duffle bag

$1,500.00

"With the motto "the best is good enough," Manhattan-based Wexler & Co. was founded with a singular purpose: to use time-honored techniques and the finest materials to build their leather goods. All of their designs are made of the highest grade leather from Chicago's legendary Horween Leather Company (it's one of the oldest continuously operating tanneries in the country) using traditional leather-working methods and handicraft. For inspiration, the Wexler team looks to its collection of vintage travel luggage, with its rich burnishing and signs of wear from turn-of-the-century voyages. Built to last a lifetime, this is a genuine heirloom, and perhaps it will inspire your own journeys. Zip closure. Interior pocket. Solid brass hardware. Fully lined in cotton moleskin. USA. Shoulder strap fully extends to 14". 6 1/2" handle drop. 20"L x 11"W x 14"H."

Now if only I could find a spare $1500 lying around...

JoeNiblick said:
Also, this just in from J. Crew:

erez.jpg

Wexler & Co. Type II duffle bag

$1,500.00

"With the motto "the best is good enough," Manhattan-based Wexler & Co. was founded with a singular purpose: to use time-honored techniques and the finest materials to build their leather goods. All of their designs are made of the highest grade leather from Chicago's legendary Horween Leather Company (it's one of the oldest continuously operating tanneries in the country) using traditional leather-working methods and handicraft. For inspiration, the Wexler team looks to its collection of vintage travel luggage, with its rich burnishing and signs of wear from turn-of-the-century voyages. Built to last a lifetime, this is a genuine heirloom, and perhaps it will inspire your own journeys. Zip closure. Interior pocket. Solid brass hardware. Fully lined in cotton moleskin. USA. Shoulder strap fully extends to 14". 6 1/2" handle drop. 20"L x 11"W x 14"H."

Now if only I could find a spare $1500 lying around...

Nothing says sucess like excess.

Legion

New in Town
My old crocodile skin bag. It is a bit problematic. It is too big for carry-on and I don't want to trust it to baggage handlers, so sadly it does not get taken on as many trips as I would like.

P1050316.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
Legion said:
My old crocodile skin bag. It is a bit problematic. It is too big for carry-on and I don't want to trust it to baggage handlers, so sadly it does not get taken on as many trips as I would like.

P1050316.jpg

OMG...I have the EXACT same bag. Found it on the side of the road in a council pick up. I took it to LA with me recently on my vintage trip but ended up leaving it at my friends place (vintage buff too) because it was just too much to carry back.

Chainsaw

Suspended
I like it, but is it all leather, or is it mixed with vinyl. Oh, where was it made for that price?

Colonel said:
Here is my overnight/weekend bag:
Image00010.jpg

I bought it from Duluth Trading Company, and at $200, it sure beats the other two on price, and I am completely satisfied with the look and quality. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Chainsaw said:
I like it, but is it all leather, or is it mixed with vinyl. Oh, where was it made for that price?
It is all leather - no vinyl anywhere on it. "Where was it made for that price?" Ah, you already knew the answer to that one: China - America's new owner, lord, and master.

By the way, I just got back from a trip with it this past weekend. It wears quite well. If you're looking for something that doesn't show any marks from being used, this would not be a good choice. The normal scrapes and scratches that a well-used bag will get show up well as "character marks". The only bit of true "damage" that is on it at this point is where they applied some sort of plastic finish to the edge of the leather straps where the two pieces of leather were sewn together (like the edge of a belt). It appears to be some sort of plastic that is applied to the edges to keep them from being exposed. My point is not a complaint, but to illustrate that despite all the use it has received over the years, that is the only place that something has come apart.

By the way, I have also bought from Duluth Trading Company their zippered "firehose" bags. These are sold for carrying screws and bolts and other small parts, but they work great for the small items that I carry in my bag. I keep a length of parachute cord and some clothes pins, spare flashlight batteries, cell phone charger, disposable rain poncho, compass, and other items. It is an extremely tough bag and it has a very vintage look to it. They are sold in a package of two - a large and a medium size bag. I also use one in my briefcase to keep pens, mints, and misc. "stuff". I just ordered another set of them day before yesterday.

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
I don't want to bust any bubbles, but I had and returned the Duluth Bag. I had the rivets in the handle tear out the first time I used it. When I looked at the construction I wan't very impressed (But I did get it on sale). I returned it with zero problems from Duluth. I've done a lot of business with the company and have always been satisfied with their service.

I've been looking at that Italian bag of Paddy's- Boy that's nice! I'm going to Ireland in October and am tempted to use it as my carryon.

CH

Colonel

One of the Regulars
ClothesHorse said:
I don't want to bust any bubbles, but I had and returned the Duluth Bag. I had the rivets in the handle tear out the first time I used it. When I looked at the construction I wan't very impressed (But I did get it on sale). I returned it with zero problems from Duluth. I've done a lot of business with the company and have always been satisfied with their service.

I've been looking at that Italian bag of Paddy's- Boy that's nice! I'm going to Ireland in October and am tempted to use it as my carryon.

CH
Interesting. Perhaps it was a different bag. Mine does not have any rivets in the handle - or anywhere else, for that matter.

PhilR

New in Town
I've had a Saddleback overnight bag for six months now and couldn't be happier with it. It is a SERIOUSLY heavy piece of luggage, not recommended for smaller guys. I always get comments and questions about it from the X-ray security guys at airports, and those guys see a lot of bags everyday. I can post photos if anyone wants to see what one looks like in the wild..

Javelina

New in Town
I received the brown version of this new leather LL Bean vacation bag.
http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignature/llb/shop/66939?subrnd=1&from=SR&feat=sigsr

I has a very vintage appearance (as intended). For the money, I think it's pretty good, but not great. For about 2x the money you could get a much higher quality bag that would last a lifetime, but at this price you get an okay piece of luggage.

Leather is reasonably thick. Metal zipper is good. Stitching is sturdy. The strap is leather, durable but feels a bit cheap - like low quality, heavily treated leather was used. That is one aspect of the bag I'm not pleased with. I haven't used it yet so I can't judge durability. I expect it to last years as a carry on and weekend bag.

Overall, it looks good and sturdy and meets expectations for an LL Bean product: grade B.

Leather Preservation, Conditioners and treatments.

I love the look of some of these leather bags and want to ask about leather preservers, conditioners and treatments the members would use to keep the bags in good condition.

What's your experience?

PhilR

New in Town
Here's my Saddleback Overnight Bag. I recently added grommets on all of the strap holes to prevent stretching. Pigskin lining on the inside and side pockets. I thought the interior dividers would not work out too well, but I have no complaints so far. This thing is a brute, definitely not for a smaller guy to carry around:

SB5.jpg

SB4.jpg

SB3.jpg

SB2.jpg

SB7.jpg

SB6.jpg

SB1.jpg

Colonel

One of the Regulars
I was asked to post photos of what my Duluth Trading Company "AWOL bag" looks like after some years of use. Here they are:

IMG_7978.jpg

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7976.jpg

IMG_7979.jpg

The inside looks just like it did when I got it new. The outside shows normal scuffs of wear. It shows wear very well - like a lady or gentleman who grows old gracefully. If something happened to it, I would not hesitate to get another one just like it. My only complaint? That "Duluth" leather label sewn at the top - pretty tacky, but I'll live with it.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Legion said:

P1050316.jpg

That croc rocks, Leg. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21