Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxblood Hats...

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Tom-n-Perris said:
I was the lucky winner of ScottF auction for the oxblood hat. :D I think it is a great little hat and the color is great even though it may not be oxblood.:eek: I will let the more experienced indicate if this is indeed oxblood or not. Here are some pictures of the hat in question.

Tom, I'm really glad you like that hat - I bought it for nothing and sold it for nothing, so it all turned out well for everyone!!!

I was really stunned to see all those pics in google images show colors more like what Buler posted - I guess Optimo's hat in "Public Enemies" has somewhat redefined the color lol

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
According to General Motors

this is oxblood - but I'm sure there are many shades/nuances...and we all know how accurately the color of felt hats can be captured by digital photography.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Salty O'Rourke said:
this is oxblood - but I'm sure there are many shades/nuances...and we all know how accurately the color of felt hats can be captured by digital photography.

The easiest way to get an idea as to what a color looks like - GOOGLE IMAGES

It's really simple and you'll get lots of examples. For oxblood, the color is very consistent (everyone seems to agree other than hat collectors). For taupe, wow - it's all over the board. Try it...

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
ScottF said:
The easiest way to get an idea as to what a color looks like - GOOGLE IMAGES

It's really simple and you'll get lots of examples. For oxblood, the color is very consistent (everyone seems to agree other than hat collectors). For taupe, wow - it's all over the board. Try it...

It's just too tough to reproduce the color properly via digital photography, thats why the hats are coming through in weird shades. I posted three shots and all three look like different hats; only the last one comes close to the right shade and it's still not right. It must have something to do with light - would explain why a hat will look different in different lighting, or when paired with different colored clothing.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Salty O'Rourke said:
It's just too tough to reproduce the color properly via digital photography, thats why the hats are coming through in weird shades. I posted three shots and all three look like different hats; only the last one comes close to the right shade and it's still not right. It must have something to do with light - would explain why a hat will look different in different lighting, or when paired with different colored clothing.

Most definitely a lighting issue - pics of the bottom of the hat in natural light, will often give the most accurate color. Also, have several backgrounds available and if you don't like the lighting results, change the background - I use tan and black.

I change the color on almost every digital photo, taking auction pics outdoors in average light, then sitting down with the hat next to me, I modify the color settings slightly to reflect the actual color of the hat. I note the settings and change all pics to the same. Also, colors show up differently on different computers, so the 'google images' thing is always worth checking.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
NukeMeSlowly said:
Dark red? Reddish brown? Brownish red? Burgundy? Or, something else entirely?

Am I the only one on the lounge who uses the 'image' feature of 'Google'?

(Look to your left)

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
Am I the only one on the lounge who uses the 'image' feature of 'Google'?

(Look to your left)

Scott,

This thread is replete with comments about the difficulty of capturing the color in photographs. Yet, you want me to trust my individual computer monitor over a compilation of descriptions from individuals who have oxblood hats?

Okay. On my monitor, your image looks like red clay. Is that the same color everyone else sees? Is that the color oxblood?

Art Fawcett said:
It looks Oxblood in this pic Tom.
I'm afraid we can't go by the Optimo Oxblood as that one really isn't traditional Oxblood. I was able to see it over the weekend and I would call it black cherry if I were doing the naming. Great color but not Oxblood.

Talk about yer coincidences.

When this hat came my way it was a fairly scruffy lookin' gray Western. I took it apart and dyed it and kinda fedora-ized it. I call the color black cherry, for reasons I'm a bit reluctant to disclose. It's not that it's some carefully guarded trade secret, and a person who knows the basics of dyeing protein fiber would probably figure it out. But still.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
NukeMeSlowly said:
Scott,

This thread is replete with comments about the difficulty of capturing the color in photographs. Yet, you want me to trust my individual computer monitor over a compilation of descriptions from individuals who have oxblood hats?

Okay. On my monitor, your image looks like red clay. Is that the same color everyone else sees? Is that the color oxblood?

Edited to remove 15 wasted seconds of my life.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
Talk about yer coincidences.

When this hat came my way it was a fairly scruffy lookin' gray Western. I took it apart and dyed it and kinda fedora-ized it. I call the color black cherry, for reasons I'm a bit reluctant to disclose. It's not that it's some carefully guarded trade secret, and a person who knows the basics of dyeing protein fiber would probably figure it out. But still.

Wow - that is a gorgeous image! (as is the hat, in person)

Don't worry - I won't tell anyone about your stash of mutilated oxen.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Lop_13-010_Maroon-Oxblood_M.jpg

This is pretty close to the color of my Disney 15 - it's the second example shown on the Google Image search for "oxblood".

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Salty O'Rourke said:

This is pretty close to the color of my Disney 15 - it's the second example shown on the Google Image search for "oxblood".

Which is also curiously close to 'inner baby harp seal'.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Salty O'Rourke said:

Salty, I think you've come across something here--oxblood carpet! I'll buy some of that as soon as get in line for one of those oxblood VS's.

Mr. Fawcett, I think I'll be buying two when I place my order; a Blue Smoke and an oxblood!

Cheers,
flute

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97