Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford Bags

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hang on, Matt ... take another look at the 1936 Sears catalog page, above. See the two pairs of pants at the top right? Those pant bottoms look very wide, don't they? Well, looks can deceive: they're only 21 inches. The vintage Oxford bag that just sold on eBay has a leg bottom of nearly 24 inches. Now that is wide!

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
The trousers offered for sale look most like these from the 36 sears cat.

36sears.jpg

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
..it' also a type of illustration. Renderings are usually exagurated.

I would love to get a pair like the ones in the middle on top of the page, and only $1.69

YOWZA!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I think the pants are a nice vintage 'casual' style, especially casual in the light fabric. They do seem to be tapered quite a lot(or is that the pleat and crease effect)- if they were straight-legged, considering the size of the hip area, they would be very wide at the cuff.

I fancy a pair but I feel the style would be better filled out in a cloth with a bit more bulk and heft- make the most of the vintage cut. That and a flapped back pocket. But a pair in linen would be very smart with a white shirt.

I DO like them though.

B
T

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'll bite

Bags or not, I'll give them a shot.* These will work with the Victoria Falls jacket I just ordered from my friend Mr. Peterman at considerable discount. :)
I'm thinking brown. Or natural, maybe? Advise?

Email sent.

* If they were baggy waggy pants, I think they might look silly on my frame.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Matt Deckard said:
Just wanted to say... isn't it totally rad that we have a globally accessible place where we can talk about the details of baggy dress trousers?

Yes! It's the best thing ever.*

*Naked things excepted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland