Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford Bags

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
NOW THOSE LOOK SWELL....There's nothing like the real thing! Hopefully someone will repro those...cost would be up there though...around $200 a pair probably. If I can find a snapshot of myself wearing my "Old Bags" I'll post it...allthough, it might be a wierd shot.

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
WELL...this pic isn't even worth posting..but here it is. I blurred the image to protect the innocent.:p

1400238342_l.jpg

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Powerhouse said:
Hopefully someone will repro those...cost would be up there though...around $200 a pair probably.

Actually these are repros! I have two original pairs, which will never fit so I had to have some made.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MORE info on those beauts Resorte please.

Damn fine bags!! where did you get them made? what size are they (can you measure them so that we can get some sizing on them please?).

You look GREAT IN THEM!!:eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
Has anyone used this company for Oxford repros?

http://www.murrayonhawaii.com/nolan/index.html
The pants price is $100 usd plus fabric and shipping.
Oxford Baggies originated on the campus of Oxford University, England, during the summer of 1925. The full cut of these pants and cuff with a circumference of 22 inches allowed students to easily slip them on over their beloved knickers, which had been banned by the University. Unlike the ZOOT SUITS above Oxford Baggies were more socially accepted and worn by the masses.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Perusing youtube, I found this old footage....check out the trousers on the kid with the tucked in sweater vest!
[video=youtube;_Ap9sNjz8L0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ap9sNjz8L0[/video]

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
How tight or loose are oxford bags at the hips?

this loose:

8693_60_139-oxford-bags.jpg

photos from Alan Flusser's 'dressing the man'.
the one below appears to show the real deal in their place of origin, where they were supposedly invented to hide plus fours which weren't allowed in class:

Oxford_bags_a.jpg
Oxford_bags_b.jpg

are they wearing plus fours under there ? hard to tell but i suspect not. i'll bet the Oxford Bag was simply a campus craze that got out of hand. you'll notice that the 3 pairs nearest to camera appear to be made out of a tufty fleece fabric !

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
8693_60_139-oxford-bags.jpg

Oxford_bags_a.jpg
Oxford_bags_b.jpg

you'll notice that the 3 pairs nearest to camera appear to be made out of a tufty fleece fabric !

I like the top photo: to me that represents 'Oxford Bags' as one envisages them. However, too often they are shown in photographs that were just press gimmicks (i.e. ludicrously wide trousers made entirely to sell a lighthearted photo to newspapers).

The 'tufty' fabric is interesting. To me (and this is nothing more than a guess) it would seem they are made from a cheap woolen facric that has not stood up well to daily wear. That would fit in with the notion of a group of students asking a tailor to make what were only ever intended to be cheap 'overtrousers' for occasional use, rather than everyday wear.

I always find the history of 'Oxford Bags' interesting, simply because they had an incredible impact on mens fashions and influenced male clothing for many years after. And yet one seldom sees any genuine photographs of them. Even on the recent television programme (Britains Best Young Tailor - or whatever it was called) Oxford Bags were represented by American 'collegiate pants' and a pair of comedy '40 inchers'. And the tailors in question had no idea of how to construct a pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy