P-40 found in desert

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Phantomfixer, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Warden

Warden One Too Many

Amazing but sad story

2. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

'Sucks' is the nature of many wartime tales, which get forgotten and/or overlooked with time.

We really were in retreat, and Copping was temporarily forgotten.

3. Landman

Landman One Too Many

I can't believe the CO found it hilarious. I also can't believe they didn't send out a search party. How long did they think somebody could survive out there? Everybody seemed to drop the ball here. The pilot with Copping should have tried to push them to search for him.

4. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Temporarily is not good when dealing with the desert. Sad.

5. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

As I understand, the plane ditched 200 miles from the nearest town. Wasn't any hope of rescue (just think, it's taken this long for the plane to be found!). He probably realised that too. Let's not kid ourselves, it wouldn't have been a quick nor painless death, both physically and emotionally :(

Now that the plane has been found, the Brits (the RAF Museum at Hendon, London) are trying to get it repatriated back to the UK. In the meanwhile, locals are stripping it down for scrap so how much will be left is anyone's guess, and you know how long bureaucracy can take to sign the papers and get the plane home.

6. Pappyb23

Pappyb23 New in Town

Very sad, reminds me of the B-24 " Lady B Good" that crashed during the war. It's a shame he was just written off, but there were without a doubt many others who shared the same fate waiting to be discovered in the deserts and oceans.

7. Hondo

Hondo One Too Many

Right Paddy, they already stripped it of its guns and ammo, how much is left? Sad.

8. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

9. Hondo

Hondo One Too Many

Thanks Story, hope Egyption military returns them.

10. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

11. Maj.Nick Danger

Maj.Nick Danger I'll Lock Up

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  12. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

Not without significant Egyptian assistance.

Captain Paul Collins, British defence attaché to Egypt, confirmed a search would be mounted for the airman’s remains but admitted it was ‘extremely unlikely’ it would be successful. The spot could be marked as a war grave after the aircraft is recovered.

13. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

14. matrioshka

matrioshka One of the Regulars

It's sad to think the aircraft will make it home before the pilot. Yeah, I know there are thousands like him lying out there, unshriven so to speak, but it's still rather sad. I just hope that when the old bird's cleaned up and sitting in a museum, folks spare a thought for the fellow who didn't make it back...

15. Story

Story I'll Lock Up