Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P40s at Geneseo Air Show, 11 - 13 July

Story

I'll Lock Up
Gathering of famous WWII planes planned for upstate New York air show...
Feb 19 2008 9:34AM
Associated Press

Gathering of famous WWII planes planned for upstate New York air show

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) The Flying Tigers will be buzzing western New York this summer.

Thousands of Buffalo-built Curtiss P-40 fighter planes saw combat service during World War II. But the plane was best known as the aircraft used by a group of American pilots called the Flying Tigers, who fought against the Japanese in China before the U.S. entered the war.

This summer, organizers of the Geneseo Air Show hope to host the largest gathering of the P-40s since World War II. Only about two dozen are still capable of flying, and one them was flown to Rochester for yesterday's announcement about the air show.

Organizers say four of the last six living Flying Tiger pilots all in their 90s have said they plan on attending the event.

It's being held July 11th through the 13th at the Geneseo Airport, 25 miles south of Rochester.

Event site
http://www.1941hag.org/

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I was going to put this in the Favorite plane thread but since you mentioned P-40s.... As a kid before I knew better I loved the P-40 ( Mustang now the favorite) ever since watching "Tora Tora Tora" in the movies. I still love that dogfighting scene in the movie. Especially when the vapor streamed from the wing tips. I read years ago they had problems filming that scene because the P-40s were overtaking the modifed AT-6s. When my Dad took flying lessons at Long Beach Airport in the early 70s he would take me along. We would always fly over an area where they had about 6-7 Tora planes. It was neat to see them with the paint scheme still on them. The "Zeros" were modified AT-6s and the "Kate Torpedos" were AT-6s with a BT-13 fuselage (I think). Most people dont realize that the AVG borrowed the "Tiger" mouth scheme from the Brits who painted them on their "Kitty Hawks". The Russians used them along with the Bell Cobras to "bust" tanks. If some info is erroneous it's because it was gleaned years ago from my model building days.

kiltie

Practically Family
P-40 pics

Some pics from Kelly Field a while back for ya : P-40 dressed up like 1st ADAM and EVE from the AVG, and a couple of a Mustang...

HPIM0403.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/HPIM0405.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/HPIM0404.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/HPIM0402.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/HPIM0385.jpg

Honey Doll

Practically Family
If you haven't been, this is a really wonderful event. This year in particular promises to be spectacular. My avatar pic is from the USO hangar dance here.

Honey Doll

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I'll be at Geneseo. I'm with the Airmens Preservation Society. Capital Wing. We will be reenacting the 490th Bomb Squadron "Burma Bridge Busters". Look for the Camo netting and big AAF sign. You'll likely find me behind the "Chaplains Quarters" sign.

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Neat! I'm not sure if I'll make it over though. Depends on what time we start showing the movie using the 16mm projector. I think this year it's Private Buckaroo, and the cartoon short beforehand will be Disney's The Old Mill. Or at least that's what I think the films are this year. The movies are open to anyone on the field that wants to come over and join us.

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Well I missed the USO show. Was offered a ride in an L-16 so I couldn't turn it down. My first warbird ride. Then it was off to the store for Ice for the bar before we cranked up the projector. So I never made it over there. But did get to see a 1941 Newsreel, Superman, Disney's The Old Mill and Stage Door Canteen.

Matt

Story

I'll Lock Up
via the Chicago Trib

LOS ANGELES — Robert DeHaven, a World War II fighter ace who downed 14 enemy planes in the Pacific and later became a test pilot and executive with Hughes Aircraft, died July 10 at a hospital near his home in the suburban San Fernando Valley, northwest of downtown, after a long illness. He was 86.

Mr. DeHaven, who was born Jan. 13, 1922, in San Diego, attended Washington and Lee University in Virginia until he joined the Army Air Corps in early 1942.

According to the Seattle-based American Fighter Aces Association, on Dec. 10, 1943, Mr. DeHaven shot down 10 Japanese aircraft* in offensives over Markham Valley, Hollandia and Buna, Lae, and Biak islands and became an ace, the term used in military aviation circles to designate a pilot who destroys or disables several enemy planes during combat.

During seven days beginning in late October 1944, Mr. DeHaven downed four enemy planes in the Philippines, bringing his total to 14.

* with a P-40!
:eek:

Check out this page
www.demons7th.com/ACE.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo