Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Painted Flight Jackets - Planes, Names, and Dames

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Well, lil' witchypoo there seems like a popular gal.

Thanks for the comments, Alan (and 442RCT). You set a high bar for me by choosing an Elvgrin to copy, but I really enjoyed doing the job. I'll mail it your way on Monday...

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Well, lil' witchypoo there seems like a popular gal.

Thanks for the comments, Alan (and 442RCT). You set a high bar for me by choosing an Elvgrin to copy, but I really enjoyed doing the job. I'll mail it your way on Monday...

Hey Gene, as a past jacket painter, I can really appreciate your shading on Witchy-Poo's skin, :eusa_clap and I love the small details like the way you painted her flowing diaphanous, (I love that word), cape. :D

I'm thinking I'm gonna be doing some tweaking on my Witchy-Poo's face and body that I had painted. :eusa_doh:

Jay

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Gene is better than you think. He did the whole thing with a roller. Now that's control.

HA!!! I'm just a little pleased with myself that I'm able to get some decent effects without use of airbrush when I do these jackets. It's all traditional brush techniques which I feel is in keeping with what the servicemen would've done in the past.

Thanks for the very nice compliments, guys!

I shipped the jacket back to Alan today...

G

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Bonjour à tous , le flying jacket fait parti de l'histoire de l'aviation , ce blouson magnifique fut souvent copiè jamais egalè , il etait souvent personnalisè voici quelques flying jackets de toutes epoques je vous en mettrez plusieurs sèries de vrais bijoux ;)

http://pics-aeronef.discutfree.com/...jacket-blouson-mythique-en-nose-art-t4384.htm

Do you think those are real images of painted jackets -- or are the designs super'd over jacket pix to simulate what a painting would look like?...

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
By the way, here's a close-up:

FINAL05JPG.jpg

My 'mission' this time was to copy the Elvgrin style as closely as possible, given the challenges presented by leather grain and thick acrylic paint. I'm pleased with it -- but someday I want to do one that is more simple, even rough, more like a lot of the authentic old ones you see. To keep it loose and quick will probably be the biggest challenge of all for me!lol

442RCT

One of the Regulars
My 'mission' this time was to copy the Elvgrin style as closely as possible, given the challenges presented by leather grain and thick acrylic paint. I'm pleased with it -- but someday I want to do one that is more simple, even rough, more like a lot of the authentic old ones you see. To keep it loose and quick will probably be the biggest challenge of all for me!lol

As someone who commissions painted jacket art, my personal preference in pin-up painting style, is when the artist copies the original artist as closely as possible, like you did. :eusa_clap I had two pin-up jackets done recently, one was 'Witch Craft' and the other was 'Spring Plowin'. 'Sping Plowin' was a copy of an original cartoon type pin-up and I was very pleased with the result. :eusa_clap 'Witch Craft' used the Elvegren pin-up and the girl was more in the folk art style you see on older jackets, but it wasn't pleasing for my tastes :eusa_doh:...and mind you preferences are very subjective. Because it wasn't what I wanted, I'll tinker with the paintjob and see if it'll clean up. [huh]

So, what is it you guys prefer for your painted jackets ?
a. The theatre made looking..."Folk Art" style.
b. Painted by a professional artist.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Witchy Poo-Shaded Lady

My Witchy Poo pin-up girl art jacket was tweaked, as they say, the devil's in the details. Her make-up was re-applied, body re-shaded with some modeling to her bustier and diaphanous wrap and her stocking details were fixed.
Witchypoo_collage01.jpg

Last edited:

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
My Witchy Poo pin-up girl art jacket was tweaked, as they say, the devil's in the details. Her make-up was re-applied, body re-shaded with some modeling to her bustier and diaphanous wrap and her stocking details were fixed.

You did the tweaking, right? FANTASTIC! It was just short of hideous before, but now she looks human, correct, pretty AND has personality. The face looks alive with wit and mischief. That's not an easy thing to capture even when all the parts are in the right place. You've got the knack!

442RCT

One of the Regulars
I knew (had a feeling, anyway) I was botching his name spelling as I typed it in earlier posts and just plowed forward. Of all the pin-up artists - and I have big books full of many, many works - he is my all-time favorite. You'd think I'd know how to spell his name by now. :eek:

I'm just as guilty as you are for the botched spelling...:eusa_doh:It's Elvgren. My favorite pin-up artist is Vargas, it's easier to spell ;). I've been thinking about another jacket with one of his pin-ups, I'd love to use one of his more revealing pin-up girls, but, I'm gonna settle for something I can actually wear in public...so many pin-ups, so few jackets. :whistle::crazy:

Which Witch is Which ?[huh]
whichwitch.jpg

As you said Witchy Poo, sure has been a favorite pinup for flight jackets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925