Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Painted Flight Jackets - Planes, Names, and Dames

These jackets are wonderful. The ONLY problem wearing them is the average person on the street probably thinks you're just an old pervert! I'm sure most would not have a clue about what they are, or the history. That's kind of the way it is with this sort of thing. It's only enjoyed by a relative few.
My son has been a history/WWII buff since he was little. And his friends never "got it". Thankfully, he's an "old soul" and didn't care. His appreciation and knowledge at only 18 is amazing.
But I love these jackets. My wife gets me a pinup girls calendar for my desk every year, and it has a new picture every day. Differing artists and there's so many that would make for a great jacket design. Not enough jackets is right. No way!

442RCT

One of the Regulars
The ONLY problem wearing them is the average person on the street probably thinks you're just an old pervert! I'm sure most would not have a clue about what they are, or the history. That's kind of the way it is with this sort of thing. It's only enjoyed by a relative few.

I do wear some of my pin-up jackets around, (never to work), only when off duty, political correctness being what it is. Mostly I wear my patched jackets with blood chits on the back. Another poster pointed out that kids nowadays just think that the pin-ups on the back are the equivalent to their current style, 'rock-a-billy' or 'Ed Hardy' jackets. :eusa_doh:

When I 'design' or copy a jacket back, I usually try to throw in extra 'information', such as a AAF unit, squadron or group. This way I can be identified as a military pervert...:eek: shhhhhhhh

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Just An Opinion On Paintjobs

This is not an uncommon occurrence on eBay when a painted jacket is sold.
A buyer will either appreciate the design or not like a paint job, it's just personal preference. As stated previously, "
I'm sure most would not have a clue about what they are, or the history. That's kind of the way it is with this sort of thing. It's only enjoyed by a relative few. "

I saw this painted Aero A-2 on eBay a couple of weeks ago, there were no bidders when the auction finished and it was re-listed last week. The seller lowered the starting price to $ 279 when he re-listed. Although the jacket itself was beautiful, I'm pretty sure most buyers were turned off by the artwork on the back, I know I was. I figured I could repaint the jacket, so I sent the seller an offer, but at the last minute, someone picked it off...which I really didn't mind. [huh]
B9n1eRQ2kKGrHqZigEzNPgcf1BM6WYF0Ym0_3.jpg

Very rare find, like new condition, Aero Leather Scotland A-2 flight bomber jacket REPLICA, with beautiful paint art at the back “ SPECIAL DELIVERY” Jacket is made of heavy oil pull horsehide with beautiful red color cotton drill lining (as original contract A-2’s) and light brown knitted parts (waist band, cuffs)
Great quality jacket+bad art = depreciated price. If the jacket hadn't been painted at all, it would probably have gone for a couple hundred more.

My first painted eBay jacket was an Aero that had been painted by a well known and gifted artist, I paid $ 430.00 for it. Great quality jacket+great art=depreciated price. [huh] Artwork doesn't necessarily increase the value of a reproduction jacket.

38058572.jpg

majormajor

One Too Many
Considering giving this a shot and was just wondering what type of paint you used for best adhesion to the leather?

Already upped these shots before, but just spotted this thread, so I hope it is OK to put them here, too.

Here is a pic of one of the jackets I have painted. This is an old Eastman A2 I bought around 25 years ago. The "paint" is actually coloured leather dye, which gives a very durable finish, and can also be given a very effective "time-worn" appearance. For me, if I'm trying for a 60 year old look for the jacket, then I think the jacket art should look equally aged.

backwo.jpg

Here is a close up of the art work:

detail2g.jpg

And here is the actual aircraft I am paying homage to. "Spirit Of 44" flew with 91st BG at Bassingbourne UK from December 13th 1943 until January 16th 1944, after limping home with over 250 bullet holes and a smashed plexiglass front cowl. The nose art is the work of well-known nose-painter Tom Starcer (you can just make out his name under the artwork).

spirit442.jpg

Lastly, here is an 8th AAF roundel on the sleeve. I know that by late 1943 most new jackets would have had the standard Army Air Force decal, but I decided to depict this one as a non-standard or older issue.

detail1t.jpg

I've just taken delivery of a new Eastman Monarch Horse Hide A2. The quality, fit, feel and authenticity is absolutely first class. And the "Warhorse" hide is just sublime. I can recommend it. I think I'll go with leather patches, rather than direct paint on this one :D

Last edited:

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Very nice work, I like the 'faded' look the leather dye gives. Did you have any issues with the dye 'bleeding' when you used it ?

majormajor

One Too Many
Very nice work, I like the 'faded' look the leather dye gives. Did you have any issues with the dye 'bleeding' when you used it ?

Hi 442RCT

After mapping out the design with pencil, each colour is left to dry before the next is put on. The dyes come with an "applicator" - throw that away and use artists brushes. Most colours can be achieved with a bit of judicious mixing. (I did have a little Art School training, so perhaps I am less fazed by the possibility of ruining a V nice jacket! :eeek: )

Thats new artwork? Amazing how you have captured what it would look like so many years after it would have been painted and worn.

Hi Scotty

You have to leave it for a couple of weeks or so, after application. To dry out fully, I guess. After that, judicious use of wire wool and shoe polish will give you the "aged" look.

Last edited:

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Diabolical angel

I like jacket designs with a history, much like the 'Spirit of 44' which paid homage to nose art artist Tony Starcer. :eusa_clap

One of the most copied jackets is the classic, 'Diabolical Angel' from the 401st Bomb Group (H).
WW2Original_cp.jpg

There have been numerous interpretations
DAComposite.jpg

I just recently bought this one off of eBay. It was painted on a Quartermaster goatskin A-2 "style" jacket. The artist decided to give the angel lot of bustin' out all over cleavage in favor of the form fitting draped top. :rolleyes:
ps - does anyone have a guess as to what the 'kill' marks that look like chili peppers on this jacket is supposed to represent ? I'm thinking they might be MIG-15 silhouettes from the Korean War. (The patch on the from of this jacket is a fighter group patch, not a bomber group)
DA_05.jpg

Last edited:

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Flak knocks pinup from sky

The semi-risque 40- by 36-inch promotion for the annual S.I. bikini edition didn't make it more than a week before political correctness scraped it off the nose of an AirTran Airways Boeing 737. The flight attendants didn't appreciate the World War II-style pinup. They thought it would lead to guys on planes asking for more than a pillow. The eye-catching piece shows a leggy blonde in a black one-piece in front of a purple circle with the message "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2010."

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/flak-knocks-pinup-from-sky-but-artist-likes-333120.html

Watts-Nose-Art-KELS_246677e.jpg

I'm guessing this pinup girl with a one piece bathing suit on the back of a flight jacket would be less offensive because it wouldn't be sponsored by a corporation. :rolleyes: The artist did a mighty fine job, he'd be a very popular guy at a WW2 air base. ;)

Political correctness is killing us. I keep waiting for someone to come into my office and complain about my pinup girls calendar (my wife buys me every year)
These people are a virus.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Political correctness is killing us. I keep waiting for someone to come into my office and complain about my pinup girls calendar (my wife buys me every year)
These people are a virus.

Now you're talkin'. When I was active duty, I had a picture of Marilyn Monroe in a gown on the wall. My commander made me take it down because he was sure somebody would complain. He didn't really agree with his own decision but given the patient population, he knew a complaint was inevitable.

BTW 442, that picture is of what I like to call a healthy subject. Like Joe E. Brown would say "Zowwwwwieeeeee".

442RCT

One of the Regulars
BTW 442, that picture is of what I like to call a healthy subject. Like Joe E. Brown would say "Zowwwwwieeeeee".
I agree, if you google Brooklyn Decker, you will see she's a very healthy subject. :eek: In the opinion of the model's agent...the artist made her look too healthy.:eusa_doh:

Watts had other struggles with the piece. "I had to go through a lot of hoops," he said. "We not only had to please the airlines, we also had to please the photo editor at Sports Illustrated, which was no easy feat. She's like the photo god in New York. So I had to get it past her."
Then there was Decker's agent. He thought it made the blonde model look too thick. "He kicked it back." Watts said. "He said there's no way she's going to approve this. We've got to thin her out."
So Watts did it over and lost Decker a few pounds. "I thought it was rockin' when it was done," Watts said. "And everybody else did — except the stewardesses." Some people just don't appreciate fine art when they see it.

She was painted in a WWII Varga girl inspired pose.

Brooklyn_Vargas.jpg

Through thick and thin, a pretty girl is still like a melody...[huh]

RitaBrooklyn.jpg

Last edited:

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Someone must have been offended and reported my pic of Rita and Brooklyn to Photobucket who banned it. Come on a 65+ year old pic [huh]

Pinup2.jpg

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Well, I went and googled Brooklyn Decker. You're right about the agent's opinion. Although she's not WWII, I'm a big Jayne Mansfield fan. There's also another model from the 50's named June Palmer. When I looked at her pictures, I nearly fell out of my chair. She's more like an Elvgren girl.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Pin-Up Girls, Past and Present

In the past someone began a thread on vintage pin-ups used for jackets and nose art in WW2, but it kinda died out when it got too racy for this forum. Like they say, worthlesswithoutpics

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?46553-Pinup-Art&highlight=pinup

As for classy chassis past and present, the girls of yesteryear were pretty impressive in their own right, the hour glass figure of a lovely lady will always appeal.

btw - Thanks for the reference to June Palmer, who's busting out all over...:eek: When I googled her, a lot of 'vintage' cheese cake came up. :rolleyes: Umm...naturally I had to look since it's going to be comparative research material for my next A-2 jacket back :D (I found a sweet illustration of Mamie Van Doren that I'd like to use.)

MissMittens

One Too Many
324th Bomb Squadron, 91st Bomb Group Patches :D on your jacket.

Well spotted! 91 BG(H), 324th BS.....kudos :D

I'm standing next to my C-47 at the time. Long story.....the plane was at a restaurant (partial pic to the right) and was given to me when it closed, but it was a basket case - the belly was severely damaged, the airframe bent, one engine on the ground, severe tail damage (a freak storm had hit it). I tried to put a team together to restore it and couldn't come up with the funds, so it passed it to an aviation museum in Maryland where it now sits. The Delaware Air National Guard rebuilt the engines, and the last I heard was they replaced the belly pan but that beyond idling, the plane would never be in flying condition. Shame, although I did come to find out that it wasn't the D-Day veteran I originally thought it was (it was painted with the invasion markings) but was a civilian DC-3 cargo that was ordered by the War Department but was delivered too late, so never saw military service.

You mentioned the Belle....there's an interesting tie in to the Belle with this DC-3. It was owned by Dave Tallichet. Dave owned a B-17 he painted as the Belle. The Memphis Belle Memorial Association in TN didn't like that he called his 17 the Belle. Dave was a B-17 pilot during WWII but did not serve on the Belle or even in the same bomb group as the Belle. Rather than going to court, a deal was struck. Dave would provide needed parts for the real Belle restoration, and no longer advertise his B-17 as the Memphis Belle. To sweeten the deal, he was given this C-47 in D-Day livery. Dave owned and operated a restaurant chain called Specialty Restaurants Inc, of which the Air Transport Command in New Castle, DE, sat. The plane I had briefly, the same one in this picture, came from the MBMA and was traded out with Dave Tallichet.

I had some gun parts which I sent passed to the MBMA in '03. I forget the gentleman's name, but he was director at the time in charge of the restoration, and had sent me a parts list. It was during our discussions on the parts needed, that this information came to light, which was several years before I had the plane.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner