Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Painting Nose Art on an A-2

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Off topic just a bit, but relevant...why do we have to upload photos to a 3rd party before we can upload them here? Photobucket is about to drive me insane. Pop-Up ads, extremely slow, very frustrating.
How about we just directly upload from the pictures in our library, like we do on most other forums?

Stand By

One Too Many
Actually, I just reduce the size of the photo on my memory card (to abut 25%) and click Save As and put it on my Desktop - and take it from there ...

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
Here's a well known pin up pic.
Ok it's not AAF but the could be worked on, unless the original pic is Mrs TX.
Personally I like the star and bar treatment.
pinup-ii-army_girl_saluting_zpsp5inkxds.jpg

Buzz has an A-2 on the market with this same gal!
View attachment 64786

As per the company Buzz too inaccurate , fun\ quiz; find 10 differences:cool:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I use tiny pics.Photobucket is no good anymore.
So,what kind of paint is used to paint jackets.
Now then, are you painting an older jacket or a brand new one? If painting an older jacket, not necessarily an original(God forbid I hear some say) nothing looks odder than a new painting on worn leather. I would use enamels as the dried paint will crack and flake off a little giving a more realistic appearance. In the past I have painted a patch for example, allowed a couple of days to dry then scrunched it up a little and also put sellotape over areas, pressed it lightly over then pulled it off. Of course that will remove some of the image but will look aged rather than just painted. Then I painted over this with a varnish to seal the edges of the 'broken' paint.
If painting a new jacket, well it depends on what look you want. Thicker flexible paint such as some acrylics will not crack, great for a new jacket but what about as the leather ages? Authentic airbase painted jackets often used what was available so red White and blue of course and a mixture of whatever other colours would be available could be used.
Whatever you do don't use the well known repro makers method of ageing patches by swirling brown varnish over new paint as it still looks fake but even more so.
The artistes were a mixture of amateur doodlers to professional artistes so do you like a perfect 'Varga(s)' style using airbrush or a simple basic picture with solid colours. I once new a painter who could duplicate Gainsborough's etc with such fine detail, but to me this was a little too detailed. A friend had him paint a jacket decorated with a near perfect image of Vivian Leigh, the jacket titled 'Gone With The Wind' in enamels. I do wonder if this is still about from the late 1980s.

I painted the 15th patch shown here(not the squadron patch) over 30 years ago using the method above as the original patch fell off this WWII original.
My advice is get down to your local charity or thrift sales whatever you call it, buy a couple of old jackets in any colour but a base brown would be recommended and have a go.
P3160117.jpg

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Please allow me to explain...I am the polar opposite of perhaps 99% of the people who frequent this forum. Old, second or third hand jackets (vintage) do not interest me at all. Quality of construction, correct fit, and value is what drives my decisions on these issues. I am not dissing old stuff, because I do not like the new Corvettes, but love the '67.
The jacket in question is a modern jacket, with hidden side entry pockets, and thus would not get a second glance from many who are in the 99 percentile. But it is a very well constructed A-2, as nice as any jacket at any price. It is as well made as my G&B. The A-2 was purchased with the intent to make it my "patch" jacket. And that is what has been done, with a U.S. Flag (or a Texas Flag), name tag, 5th Air Force patch, and custom "squadron" patch owning some of the jacket real estate.
So, you can see that having 100% correct replica WWII art is not the goal. Rather, the artwork is a custom design that has a bit of a modern flair. My wife's likeness will be employed (she does not know this) in the design.
The artist employed is in The Netherlands, and has painted many A-2's, G-1's, B-3's, and everything else. She even does custom artwork on leather wallets.
Anneke can do anything, from classic WWII nose-art, to more contemporary designs. All of her customers rave about their jackets when they are done.
The best thing is that Anneke loves her work, and is very excited about the designs I have proposed. She will do an excellent job, without doubt.
Of course, I will post a photo of the jacket when it is finished.
P1010294-001.jpg

P1020481.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
TXFlyGuy, I just want to point out that there are MANY of us here who have no interest in acquiring vintage jackets or hats. I'm one of the earliest members of this forum (#192), and every jacket and hat that I've had I've bought new. I don't wear other used clothing, and I have never been remotely attracted to buying vintage.

It's true that the vintage-focused folks provide a highly visible portion of the membership, and those that run through tons of items have A LOT to say about them. And it's fascinating stuff to listen in to for those of us who want to learn about the history and development of these clothes. But to assume that the "vintage wearers" represent a big majority here isn't accurate.

PS - I've owned two G&B leather jackets for fifteen years, and they're awesome. I wear my G&B Civil A-2 more often than my Good Wear Dubow, despite it being a "lesser" A-2 jacket.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
TXFlyGuy, I just want to point out that there are MANY of us here who have no interest in acquiring vintage jackets or hats. I'm one of the earliest members of this forum (#192), and every jacket and hat that I've had I've bought new. I don't wear other used clothing, and I have never been remotely attracted to buying vintage.

It's true that the vintage-focused folks provide a highly visible portion of the membership, and those that run through tons of items have A LOT to say about them. And it's fascinating stuff to listen in to for those of us who want to learn about the history and development of these clothes. But to assume that the "vintage wearers" represent a big majority here isn't accurate.

PS - I've owned two G&B leather jackets for fifteen years, and they're awesome. I wear my G&B Civil A-2 more often than my Good Wear Dubow, despite it being a "lesser" A-2 jacket.

I stand corrected. Felt like I was the Lone Ranger here. Yes, the spotlight is mostly taken by the vintage types, which made me think that this was the major and primary area of interest with regards to A-2's, G-1's, B-3's, etc., on this forum.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Please allow me to explain...I am the polar opposite of perhaps 99% of the people who frequent this forum. Old, second or third hand jackets (vintage) do not interest me at all. Quality of construction, correct fit, and value is what drives my decisions on these issues. I am not dissing old stuff, because I do not like the new Corvettes, but love the '67.
The jacket in question is a modern jacket, with hidden side entry pockets, and thus would not get a second glance from many who are in the 99 percentile. But it is a very well constructed A-2, as nice as any jacket at any price. It is as well made as my G&B. The A-2 was purchased with the intent to make it my "patch" jacket. And that is what has been done, with a U.S. Flag (or a Texas Flag), name tag, 5th Air Force patch, and custom "squadron" patch owning some of the jacket real estate.
So, you can see that having 100% correct replica WWII art is not the goal. Rather, the artwork is a custom design that has a bit of a modern flair. My wife's likeness will be employed (she does not know this) in the design.
The artist employed is in The Netherlands, and has painted many A-2's, G-1's, B-3's, and everything else. She even does custom artwork on leather wallets.
Anneke can do anything, from classic WWII nose-art, to more contemporary designs. All of her customers rave about their jackets when they are done.
The best thing is that Anneke loves her work, and is very excited about the designs I have proposed. She will do an excellent job, without doubt.
Of course, I will post a photo of the jacket when it is finished.
P1010294-001.jpg

P1020481.jpg

Beautiful jacket and patch!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket and patch!

The patch was something that we put together, and three different artists made a version for me. One of them failed to follow instructions that were plainly stated. I won't mention any names. But Sean Collins, and Jim Buchanan did an awesome job. The patch in the photo was Jim's work. A "one off" design.

Thanks for the kind words!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
If that is the jacket the painting is going on(as on page 1) then a non aged painting would suffice as the jacket will age with the images you are putting on it. If you are not worried about it cracking up as you wear, why not visit an art store and talk to someone about fabric/leather decoration.
In an earlier part of the post we discussed the painting itself, but you did not indicate what kind of jacket, new or old, it was going on.
Cheers, J.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Yes, that is the jacket. The painting will be a "new look" painting, not an aged (antique) painting. The jacket is new, as is the Mustang.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

I like to think I cross a barrier of vintage leather and collecting as I don't take my life especially around 'vintage ' clothing seriously. Much as I love old A2s and B3s etc plus other civvi stuff from that era, the real interest for me is history. I love that old jacket I posted the picture above, but to be given a history lesson of the crew would be wonderful, to be told it was a rare contract of only a few made would really be insignificant to me and about as interesting as Kim Kardashian's Jimmy Choo's would be to a 3 legged giraffe.
I also have friends that wouldn't be seen dead in second hand clothes, preferring repro's to originals but still interested in history of the clothes and what they represented.
For years my favourite A2 was my Battersea Contract Aero No1 that Ken Calder made for me, that was until it no longer fit so it was swapped for something new that did fit.
Nothing wrong with A2s that have hand warmers or even cheaper styles as long as you are happy. Time will tell if you wish to go the 'Vintage route or just maybe splash out on a higher end repro.
Enjoy your jacket and hope Mrs Tx likes the painting :)

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
My artist advises that she can do a vintage painting, or a modern rendition, i.e., faded and aged vs. new and bright. As the jacket is a new one, and the aircraft is new, we will opt for the later. That way the jacket and artwork will age together.

Yes, I too hope my wife likes the painting. It will be a huge surprise to her!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy