Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paisley goes with nothing

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Is the name of a book I'm reading, it's sort of a fashion book. I think I may have had this since around the turn of the century.

Anyway, it talks about what men should know, stuff like:
How to write a thank-you note
How to tie a Full Windsor knot
How to give a complement
How to take a complement
etc...

It also lists stuff every man should have. One thing it says a man should have is "A skin-care regimen that includes scruffing, a mask and a night cream, but doesn't include deodorant soap."

It also says "A moisturizer specifically designed for the face."

How many guys in the Golden Era has some sort of regime like this. Also, how many guys here at the lounge have a regime that includes this?

I'm curious, because this Minnesota winter is killing my skin. I recently began using Ponds moisturizer at night on my face~it works awesome by the way. And, my wife puts Gold Bond lotion on dry spots on my back while I put the lotions on my cracked knuckles and hands.

Ok, I also put a little Ponds on the balding part of my scalp at night~ it works like magic there too.

I use Cetaphil SPF 15 moisturizer (U.V.A. and U.V.B.) on my face in the day, and that works well for sun screen and as a moisturizer.

Do many of the other guys here use moisturizer on their face? How about a mask? How about scruffing (what ever that is)? And, how about the night cream (I'm guessing that would be my Ponds)?

Also, Ladies, does your man or dad or brother use any of this stuff? Also, does it work?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Well, you will find that most traditional wetshavers have more regimen overall than electric shavers or Mach 9,000,000 users. (read: the rest of the great unwashed masses :) ). After a shave I hot water rinse, cold water rinse, apply witch hazel as a toner, and then apply an after shave balm or splash depending on the season. I personally don't go for all kinds of other "pampering", masques, manicures, etc, but to each his own.

Also paisley AWAYS goes.....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I read it before the turn of the century ( I always think this to mean the turn before last) and was not impressed....a good chunk of it is available at Google Books.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I don't have a regimen of any sort. I run an electric razor up and down my face till the hairs are gone. Depending on how lazy I've been, it can take 5 or 15 mins. A bar of soap and some shampoo is as far as the idea of pampering goes.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I also use an electric, and then J.Pinaud Clubman aftershave. I dont get overly dry skin, in general, except for my hands. I use a natural product called shea (or shay) butter on my hands. Hand drummers that play on natural skin heads often use it and it works wonders.

Im not talking about any of the commercial products available today that boast '10% real shea butter' or some such. Im talking about pure shea butter. Its a pasty heavier than cream that I get in one or two quart tubs at the African Street Fair in Brooklyn during the annual BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) Dance Africa Memorial Day weekend .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner