Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pakol Hat

jaw1993

New in Town
Hello,

I have been thinking of getting one of these Pakol/Pakul hats to wear outside when walking and just in general.

Its one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakul

I was wondering if any one here has ever worn one, and what it was like and the responses you got. I am slightly concerned with people taking umbridge with the Arabic connections.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
jaw1993

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Afghan hat

I bought one from an Afghan street vendor in Washington, DC, back when Charlie Wilson was pushing funding bills through Congress for the mujahadeen fighting against the Soviet army.

It was very itchy, the wool being not of the highest quality.

The only arabs who ever wore them were foreign fighters in Afghanistan. While they might be associated with Arabs among the uninformed, it is definitely not the sort of thing one might wear in Arabia, way too hot.

But to answer your question, I don't thing there is any way to disassociate the hat from the Taliban in the public mind. I wouldn't wear one now.

fmw

One Too Many
While it might be a very practical piece of headgear, I wouldn't recommend wearing one in this country. I think you stand a chance of getting the wrong person riled up. Yes, this type of headgear is synonymous with the Taliban and Bin Ladin.

jaw1993

New in Town
Thank you so much for you replies, I really will have to brush up on my middle eastern geography. No I'm not going to Kabul I was just intrgiued to hear some opinions and, I can do without the conitations of foregin fighters and the bin Laden.

Also I have edited my orginal post to make up for lack of geographical/cultural knowledge.

Once again, many thanks.

jaw1993

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
While it might be a very practical piece of headgear, I wouldn't recommend wearing one in this country. I think you stand a chance of getting the wrong person riled up. Yes, this type of headgear is synonymous with the Taliban and Bin Ladin.

Notice where he lives :) They are probably more used to that type of headgear in England than we are :)

ex812

Familiar Face
I have one that I bought and wore all the time in Afghanistan. It's great hat. You should get one and wear as I do. Don't worry about stupid people and what they think. It is not an Arabic hat, it's Persian. Don't make the mistake of saying it's Arabic because persians will get mighty upset :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
No that's not it. There are more Pakistani's and Afghans living in England and when I was in London last year I saw many Pokols being worn by them on the streets than I have EVER seen over here :) They are not quite as coloquial there as we are :)
Onward thru the fog :)

ukali1066

Practically Family
Here's a thread I started on these caps, they are in fact a very ancient design dating back to the soldiers of Alexander the great....and they weren't really worn by the Taliban, they prefer a turban....they were worn more by the Northern Alliance and of course the mujahideen fighting the Soviets....
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...ost-vintage-design-there-is&highlight=chitral

Also if you know the right shops they shouldn't cost more than £3

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Actually, the Pakol was worn by the folks on our side in the 80s! It is also true that it is a Persian style and not an Arabian one. But, these days the "Persians" (Iran) is also an enemy.

But as far as public opinion in the USA goes, it will seem to be a "terrorist's hat" no matter what you say and no matter what the history of the headgear is. Few you meet that recognize it will have its history right (granted most you meet won't have any idea ta all what it is).

So, because of that, I would personally never wear such a thing. Certainly others might not worry overmuch about it, but there is no way I'd want my personae associated with "them" in a day of international terrorism.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't even worry about it being a "terrorist hat", I just wouldn't be caught dead in it, it's fugly. Looks like you're wearing pancakes on your head.
homersimpsondrool.jpg

Mmmmmmmm....pancakes.

Cliff

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought one from an Afghan street vendor in Washington, DC, back when Charlie Wilson was pushing funding bills through Congress for the mujahadeen fighting against the Soviet army.

It was very itchy, the wool being not of the highest quality.

The only arabs who ever wore them were foreign fighters in Afghanistan. While they might be associated with Arabs among the uninformed, it is definitely not the sort of thing one might wear in Arabia, way too hot.

But to answer your question, I don't thing there is any way to disassociate the hat from the Taliban in the public mind. I wouldn't wear one now.

I tried one on in Pakistan a couple of years ago. It was very itchy. I don't know why they wear them. Wearing the hat didn't brainwash me though.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My brother brought one back for me from Pakistan many years ago, pre-terror-in-the-USA. I didnt wear it back then because it was so itchy that it made my forehead break out.

jaw1993

New in Town
The taliban are not ok with the english. And it isn't a very common item over here especially in the area of England I live in. I was merely asking for peoples opinions and viewpoints on this particular item of headwear. Once agian thank you for many varied responses. And I have decided to not wear one at this moment in time due to public perception.

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The taliban are not ok with the english. And it isn't a very common item over here especially in the area of England I live in. I was merely asking for peoples opinions and viewpoints on this particular item of headwear. Once agian thank you for many varied responses. And I have decided to not wear one at this moment in time due to public perception.

Yes, I guess that would be a major consideration. If were not for that, I think it would be a cool style. Here in the U.S. I'm not sure you would find such objections to it. I might have worn one myself occasionally, if they weren't so darn itchy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff