Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pale or Tan?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
For me, I like to be pale. I'm a natural redhead so I burn if I go out in the sun. Then I break out into tons of orange freckles that I don't really like. :(

Also, most people who guess my age tell me I'm "22." Not that I'd WANT to be 22 again -- I'm very proud of my 32 years -- but, it just goes to show that no exposure to excessive sun has kept me looking good. My Aunt has been a sun goddess all her life. I remember when she was in her 30s -- she always looked older than she really was.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
There is nothing bad with a bit of tan, but people tend to overdo it a lot. I´d prefer pale though any time since my skin has an olive-tone that makes my skin rather grey than anything else... The bad thing is that I blush easily on things like when I´m exited or when I get a compliment and I glow like rudolphs nose than.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
gluegungeisha said:
I think it's a pretty big misconception that sunlight in general is bad for you. It's you easiest source of vitamin D, and anyone who is seasonally affected (such as myself) definitely knows how big of a difference a little sun makes.
A physiscian here in cold, dark Norway recently wrote something about that. He means that the dangers related to vitamin D defiency is actually worse than the possible cancer-risk of a little sun exposure. He even recomends to spend a little time in solariums in the winter! Of course, he created quite a stir saying this, this is controversial stuff. But interesting!

Me, I like when I am "tan" in the summer. But of course, my "tan" is more like off-white. I also get freckles, wich I kind of like. I think it looks cute.

But I am a very, very pale girl, and I kind of like that. I fake-tan my legs in the summer, just to take the bluish edge of. I don't tan easily, and I haven't got the patience for it. I like beeing in the sun, but sun-bathing is boring! I also belive in being a good version of me, not trying to be somthing I'm not. Too much tan would look ridicolus on me, so I'd rather be pale as skimmed milk!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Many of the Fedora girls claims to be very pale by nature. I wonder: Are we a naturally paler group than the rest of the society,(and if so, why?) or are the rest of the world fake-baking and sun-bathing til the cows come home?

Hillocks

New in Town
I go for the middle way. I've got those irritating red bumps on my thighs and upper arms and with a bit of tan you can hardly see them. So a bitt of a tan makes me look better.
Unfortunatly I live in Holland, and we had the worst summer ever! So no tan for me this year :mad:

Altho I have to say I really like pale skin to see, it lookes so classy.

Camille

Familiar Face
I think "Pale" is my middle-name.

I love being outdoors in summer, and it's not that we don't -have- hot sunny summers in Sweden, it's just that when I get tanned, I'm still more pale than your avarege gal.

Also, there's the health-thing. I don't want to look like an old bag when I'm 50!

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
I remember being in elementary school and having the whitest legs in gym class. I hated it, but I also despised lying out in the sun doing nothing.

The only problem I've had with being pale was when I had to wear a sleeveless dress. You could see my veins! :eek:

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
My ex was into girls that had a Playboy bunny look to them, so I went to the tanning salon often. I got really tan and it started to become addicting. The guy I'm dating now found out that I was going to the tanning salon and said I didn't have to waste my money and he wanted me to just be natural and if I wanted a tan to do it the real way by sunlight. I'm now as pale as can be and couldn't be happier. I also like the fact that I don't have to worry so much about wrinkles too.

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
Some people, (like every pale person on here) look sooo great pale! They still look healthy and natural, even stars like Anne Hathaway and Dita Von Teese have that porcelain, healthy, natural pale glow. I on the other hand look dead.

I'm not a huge fan of tanning beds or laying out in the sun, and tanning lotions can be stinky and messy. So I'm kinda screwed either way, but I definetly look much much better with a little bit of a glowy tan. I think the regular jergens smells bad, but the new skin firming one doesn't have the same smell.

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
ValerieAmelia said:
Some people, (like every pale person on here) look sooo great pale! They still look healthy and natural, even stars like Anne Hathaway and Dita Von Teese have that porcelain, healthy, natural pale glow. I on the other hand look dead.

I'm not a huge fan of tanning beds or laying out in the sun, and tanning lotions can be stinky and messy. So I'm kinda screwed either way, but I definetly look much much better with a little bit of a glowy tan. I think the regular jergens smells bad, but the new skin firming one doesn't have the same smell.

If that's you in your avartar.....then you have no worries. You have a beautiful glow to you. I'm even more pale than you.....maybe some tanning lotions for me then.

retromom147

One of the Regulars
I can sit out in the sun for an hour and look pastey and I refuse to fake 'n' bake so I'm stuck being white, white, white...well except for the freckles. Hey I guess the tanning was a success...in itty bitty spots all over...lol

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
retromom147 said:
I can sit out in the sun for an hour and look pastey and I refuse to fake 'n' bake so I'm stuck being white, white, white...well except for the freckles. Hey I guess the tanning was a success...in itty bitty spots all over...lol

lol lol lol I know what you mean

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
retromom147 said:
Retrobabydoll:) :eek:fftopic: do u have myspace account?

I'm finding that everyone has a myspace. I used to, but stopped since it was causing some drama. I work from 8am-5pm Pacific time so I've been hanging out around the fedora lounge a lot. I'd start it back up, but I'm afraid of the drama. hmmmm.

retromom147

One of the Regulars
RetroBabydoll said:
I'm finding that everyone has a myspace. I used to, but stopped since it was causing some drama. I work from 8am-5pm Pacific time so I've been hanging out around the fedora lounge a lot. I'd start it back up, but I'm afraid of the drama. hmmmm.

I hear you babydoll...I had some for awhile and just reported it like mad...lol. It finally backed of about a day before I was gonna cancel my acct. I used it to find old Army friends and was really pleased to find two of my best friends that I lost contact with in Iraq. So I guess it's ok...I like cafemom better...lol
Hugs from me and I'll see you around here

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
RetroBabydoll said:
If that's you in your avartar.....then you have no worries. You have a beautiful glow to you. I'm even more pale than you.....maybe some tanning lotions for me then.

Yeah but that was summer :) I don't know what to do in winter cause I hate tanning and lotions.:mad:

Adele

One of the Regulars
The Shirt said:
I'm just saying - you can practically use me for an anatomy class to study the circulatory system.

Hahah, me too!

I must say that when I read your post, it reminded me of those transparent pages they used to have in the back of the old health or biology books. Each page you took away a "layer". I don't know if I'm making much sense.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I don't have anything against tanned skin but I think that pale is better and that it looks more refined and exotic in amongst the sea of fake tan that has swamped womankind over the last few years.

I like the victorian ideal of pale skin and sunshades, and I think that lily like maidens are infinitely more beautiful.

I just had two new ladies join me at work and they both have red hair and the loveliest pale skin, I'd kill for it!!!!

Antje

One Too Many
I read an article today about Dita von Teese, and there
where some young girls who where giving they're comments

but what you would hear from them o my god.

I don't know if that is for typical dutch teenagers but they hated the pale, and they where really making comments like she's a gosth a spooky person, she has to have some sunlight, she's scary.
That she had to go for some cure in a tanning sallon and things like that.

I really like her pale skin and always making sure I wear sunscrean because I like to be pale.
It made me think are other people are looking and thinking the same way about me than about her.

Well i know that i should not listen to things like that but I was really shocked what they all said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran