Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pale or Tan?

missjones

New in Town
it's harder to stay pale in South Florida than it was when i lived up north, but i do my best. i am always on the lookout for a better sunblock.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I have naturally tan skin myself, never had a burn in my life. But I've always envied people with lovely creamy white skin. I think it looks so lovely with a vintage look.

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
As a kid I tanned quite easily but when I grew older I became a bit allergic to sunlight and since then tend to burn my skin before it becomes tanned. Sun blocker is a good friend of mine nowadays. I like my pale skin and how it contrasts with black hair.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
But I've always envied people with lovely creamy white skin. I think it looks so lovely with a vintage look.
It does, and I've always loved pale vampires too (swoon!), but I think FL is a little obsessed with pallor. It's not more "vintage" to be a redhead with freckles who can't tan, than it is to be any other complexion. My idol Brigitte Bardot is a good example of a fun-loving, sun-loving vintage gal. I love the beach! I can't wait till spring comes, it's still not here.
Brigitte-Bardot-sunbathin-001.jpg

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I'm quite fair, and I used to try to tan, but as I've gotten older I've come to terms that it just doesn't agree with me. I burn easily and have a tough time tanning. Also, skin cancer is quite prevalent in my family, and my mom has rosacea because of sun exposure (or her doctor seems to think so, at least). My skin texture stays nicer if I avoid the sun, so sunscreen has become my friend. I'll never be milky white, but my skin is happy for the time being, so I'll just stick with that :)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I'm Black American so my skin stays caramel colored all year long. If I were White, I would stay pale because I HATE being in the hot sun. I mean, it makes me very uncomfortable and I feel like I'm going to get sick because the hot sun just drains my energy. When I'm at the beach in the summer, I must be under an umbrella. I am afraid of looking older so I try to wear SPF30 but I have been slacking on it because I hate sunscreen. I bought about 10 parasols in various colors and will be using them this summer.

I read that 80% of aging is due to the sun so we ALL need to take in the sun in moderation whether pale or dark.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Katinka Von K. - I too have developped a slight allergy to the sun. A little sun here and there never bothers me, but too much at once and the exposed area gets covered in tiny incredibly itchy blisters. It's aweful!
My complexion isn't great for the super pale look. I get a bit of sun here and there but not enough to go bronze (or blistery):eeek:

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
I came to the conclusion years ago that I was just meant to be pale, I think all my Irish heritage has made me actively repel the sun. I am so pale I border on translucent and I never tan, I just go slightly pink and then peel. Very attractive.
I used to hate it and desperately wanted darker skin, or even skin that tanned, but I think too much sun exposure ages people and I'm paranoid about skin cancer. And I've started to think that maybe pale skin with my naturally very dark hair is a nice compliment.

Although come summer, I'll be staring with longing at all the lovely golden brown people roaming around. *sigh*

rue

I'm odd in the fact that I'm really really white all winter, but when summer comes around I can get really dark without even trying. I don't lay out anymore, but I love being outside, so I get tan no matter what I do.

I feel good either way [huh]

Last edited:

Katue

Familiar Face
My skin is pale and it can't tan properly. Last summer I spent my 3 week honeymoon sunbathing on the beach from 6am till 8pm. I'd bought expensive creams and waxes that let your skin tan faster. Finally, I got some tan. Near the bikini line it was quite visible but most people have that skin color in winter when they don't tan at all.
It was just an experiement so I don't care much. I love my beautiful pale skin and I'd never like to have a brown one. But still I like sunbathing - just the process. It's nice to feel sun kissing your skin.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I think i'm the same as Miss Rue, i'm glowingly white all winter, but i do tan well without having to sunbathe, must be the mediterranean gene. I have a tendency to be quite sallow skinned, with lots of yellow undertones, again, i'm a light olive complexion, so i don't mind a little colour on my body in the summer. I think legs and arms can look pretty with a some colour. I hate that old crocodile skin handbag, overcooked, tan look though!

Isis

One of the Regulars
Pale. My red-haird Mum gave me skin that just get red and the go back to white, so I gave up trying to get a tan when I was 20. Besides, I find it desperately boring to just lay in the sun and get hot. :)

zombi

A-List Customer
I'm in the "my skin just doesn't tan" club. Plus, with a history of skin cancer in the family, I make sure to always wear sunblock nowadays. In summertime, I'll use the Jergens lotion that puts a bit of tan on the skin? Only on my legs. I think they look nice and summery that way. Really it doesn't make me very 'tan' -- my version of tan is many people's winter colour!

Mojito

One Too Many
Irish/Swedish heritage - No tan for me! Although I used to go a bit brown on the forearms when I was doing a lot of horseriding.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Pale for me. I don't tan- i did once and it came out like a dirty yellow brown sitting on top of my skin- not pretty. I don't tend to burn either though. But I have grey eyes which are very sensitive so I don't go out when the sun is shinning so I have very liitle oppurtunity to tan anyway.

Juliet

A-List Customer
Pale for me. I don't tan- i did once and it came out like a dirty yellow brown sitting on top of my skin- not pretty. I don't tend to burn either though. But I have grey eyes which are very sensitive so I don't go out when the sun is shinning so I have very liitle oppurtunity to tan anyway.

I'm with you on the "dirty yellow brown". And I found that I quite like my very white skin - so it's lace gloves and a parasol for me n the summer.

Annichen

Familiar Face
I prefer pale,my ideal is white..white hair and white skin, ghostly pale..I love that :)
But I do have self tanners in case I need to look a bit "healthy" for some reason, Hawaiian Tropic Sun Dial is a good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails