Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PALOOKAVILLE

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone heard of this comic book series? I had been reading it off and on for years, but it has been a while since I have seen it. It is Canadian, and as far as I can tell, it is the ONLY comic book whose main character is a lifestyle vintage guy who dresses, collects, cares almost solely about, and thinks vintage 1930s-1940s or so. He's an introspective, somewhat gloomy fellow and has a hard time on dates. He surrounds himself with old ads and such, constantly saying things like "they just don't make things the way they used to ... metal electric fans, for example. They used to be made with quality ...." The artist (who is probably very like the character) once did a long digression which later got published separately, in hardcover I believe (I think I have it floating around my apartment somewhere) on the history of just such an electric fan company, called CLYDE FANS, owned by two brothers in the 1940s, one of whom was a good businessman and the other a dreamer.

The following quote will probably ring familiar to many of us:

"Seth's affection for early- and mid-20th century popular culture, and his relative disdain for pop culture since then, is a recurrent theme in his work, both in terms of the characters (who are often nostalgic for the period) and his artistic style."

I got it from the Wikipedia article on Palookaville's creator, Seth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_(cartoonist)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace