Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama maintenance

duggap

Banned
I have read here where it is good to take a Panama into the bath room while showering to get the steam on the hat. My question is, how much and how ofter do we need to do this to a good Montecristi. And is there any other tips we need to know before stowing away for the winter. Thanks all.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Mangled pinch

I think I've seen the answer to this on another thread, but I figured while we're on the subject of Panamas, what about a Panama that's been grabbed by the pinch so many times that the straw is entirely broken through? If I had found the Lounge two or three years ago, I might have known better, but my Panama is now a very well ventilated piece of headgear. People tell me that it's got character, but I don't quite buy it. I've seen the comment that it would be better to put my money into a new hat, rather than try to repair the old one. Do you agree?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
You're welcome Carter!! DHermann, the advice you were given is correct. The hat CAN be sent back to Ecuador for a reweave job ( I've seen amazing patches done) but that really should be reserved for the high end ($1K+) weaves as the cost would be more than the bodies on the lower end hats are worth. Sorry Sir, character has to be enough:D

duggap

Banned
Thanks Art. I have to take care of this one and make it last 20 years or I have some deep explaining to do. Women, they just don't understand sometimes.[huh]

spiridon

A-List Customer
duggap said:
I have read here where it is good to take a Panama into the bath room while showering to get the steam on the hat. My question is, how much and how ofter do we need to do this to a good Montecristi. And is there any other tips we need to know before stowing away for the winter. Thanks all.

Hey duggap, just make a trip down here to the Gulf Coast and wear your Montecristi out & about.......I believe this 110% humidity should maintain your Panama just fine!!:D

RedPop4

One Too Many
spiridon said:
Hey duggap, just make a trip down here to the Gulf Coast and wear your Montecristi out & about.......I believe this 110% humidity should maintain your Panama just fine!!:D
Works for me, too.
Jon, you should have seen all the Panamas at the Retail Tobacco Dealers Association Trade Show..
There was a guy named Orlando Palacios selling low-end Montecristis and Cuencas from Worth & Worth Hats, Inc. He was getting between $50 and $70 per hat. By Tuesday evening half the men at the show had Panamas.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Tommy, that sounds like the same guy that was at RTDA in Nashville a few years ago.....he made a "killing" there as well. I picked one up....the body was pretty nice, but the workmanship on the "finished" product (when I compare with what I have picked up since then) was ehhhhhhhhhhh.

schanop

New in Town
Clean up some black marks

Gentlemen, how would you recommend cleaning up some small black marks, probably from handling, on the panama? Would some soapy water and toothbrush be enough for this?

Gracias, Chanop

RedPop4

One Too Many
spiridon said:
Tommy, that sounds like the same guy that was at RTDA in Nashville a few years ago.....he made a "killing" there as well. I picked one up....the body was pretty nice, but the workmanship on the "finished" product (when I compare with what I have picked up since then) was ehhhhhhhhhhh.
I agree, Jon. Maybe he's buying from apprentices? That's why they're only between $50 and $70, possibly, too. They're worth just that amount of money, good starter hats to get ball cap guys into good hats. Especially since most of the ball caps at the RTDA are cigar brand hats, and they're really good looking. So, it seems, these guys are wanting to expand.

Maybe Panama Bob can give the RTDA a shot?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
schanop said:
Gentlemen, how would you recommend cleaning up some small black marks, probably from handling, on the panama? Would some soapy water and toothbrush be enough for this?

Gracias, Chanop

That should work just fine... Just go slow on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou