Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris fashion advice..thankyou

Drappa

One Too Many
I just returned last night from a four day trip to Paris, and it was warm but not hot. I also found Parisiennes very friendly and wore what I liked, usually a cotton dress with petticoat, wedges and a cardigan. I am not sure obviously, but don't think we stuck out too much because in four days three different French people asked us for directions around Paris.
Some other tourists however(especially American and British), stuck out like a sore thumb if they were wearing three quarter length cargo pants (what is up with that?), t-shirts of American or Canadian universities, tan shorts and trainers. Oh, and backpacks of course - the most surefire give-away. I only carried a handbag all day and hubby nothing apart from his wallet, and we weren't missing anything, but I guess some people have ginormous cameras and waterbottles to carry around. There are enough cafes or shops to buy drinks from, so the smaller the bag the less conspicuous I think if you want to blend in more. We also didn't get bothered much by street vendors, and part of that is perhaps attitude, avoiding eye contact with them and walking a bit faster in those highly concentrated attraction areas.
The colour palettes of the locals are also very classic, lots of black, grey, browns, tan, navy and white and not many loud colours or prints.

Some pictures of what I wore below. Excuse the hair...
photo180.jpg

photo174.jpg

photo179.jpg

photo178.jpg

photo177.jpg

photo175.jpg

Close-up
photo176.jpg

Other than that I'd say wear what you like, and if it is cargo pants and backpacks so be it, there isn't really a shame in being a tourist and looking like one.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
Are those Zara cigarette pants high waisted? Have you got a pic? I'm always desperate for trousers.

I tried to take a photo there of me wearing them and it just didn't come out however I can confirm that the trouser waist comes up just below my belly button so not sure if that's high waisted enough for you? Zara is great for trousers though and next time I'm in if they have the €45 ones I'll be getting them too!

Gorgeous photos Drappa - love the dresses - looks like you had a great time too!

Drappa

One Too Many
^^Thank you, it was a surprise organised by my husband because I'd never been and I absolutely loved it! What a great, great city.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
OneAndOnly said:
:eek:fftopic: Girls I'm gonna annoy you now with a request for what to wear in Florence! I'm heading off in about 10 days and am not sure what to bring!

The other thing - you must must must go to the Martelli Gloves shop, which is just before you get to the Ponte Vecchio. Most amazing range of colours and materials, and some not too stupidly priced. I regret not buying several pairs!

Cricket

Practically Family
I have always found, on any trip, I tend to pack the appropriate shoes for certain outfits. I will pack several dressy shoes, usually with heels. I have every intention of pulling it all together during my travels.

However, after about a day of walking in these shoes, I immediately look and purchase a more comfortable pair of flats. My husband encourages me as well due to my complaining at time. :)

I follow this trend during every vacation. I don't know why I don't just pack my walking flats instead of having to purchase them en route. I have this *sigh* theory that I will wear my dressy shoes, but I never do. :eusa_doh:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Puzzicato said:
The other thing - you must must must go to the Martelli Gloves shop, which is just before you get to the Ponte Vecchio. Most amazing range of colours and materials, and some not too stupidly priced. I regret not buying several pairs!

I stayed just around the corner from the Ponte Vecchio and completely missed that glove shop - how did I manage that?!!!!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
i_am_the_scruff said:
All I can say is dress how you're comfortable being dressed. I don't really get why you'd dress any differently than usual [huh]

The answer is that we are taking this trip because my Mum has cancer and this is a break from her chemo. The purpose of the trip is to make some special memories should the worst happen- so I want to make a special effort on this holiday. (maybe I should have said this in my OP, but i didn't want to start off with something so...um, you know)

Drappa

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
Drappa you are so beautiful!
:eek: Thank you Miss Hannah! I was a bit hesitant of posting pictures of myself on here because everyone is so stylish and well put together and pretty, (and because your pics from Paris look like a photoshoot) but I'm feeling more confident now :)

Drappa

One Too Many
Tishkaminx said:
The answer is that we are taking this trip because my Mum has cancer and this is a break from her chemo. The purpose of the trip is to make some special memories should the worst happen- so I want to make a special effort on this holiday. (maybe I should have said this in my OP, but i didn't want to start off with something so...um, you know)
Sorry to hear this, I hope you'll have a wonderful trip! And in this case feel free to dress to the nines, both of you! It'll be fun and such great memories.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss Golightly said:
I stayed just around the corner from the Ponte Vecchio and completely missed that glove shop - how did I manage that?!!!!

Too eager to get to the sparklies? :p

They had about a hundred different colours of leather, with choices of unlined, lined with silk/wool/cashmere/fur and then there were the different lengths, different textures etc etc.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Drappa said:
Sorry to hear this, I hope you'll have a wonderful trip! And in this case feel free to dress to the nines, both of you! It'll be fun and such great memories.

Thanks Drappa. I intend to spoil her rotten. :)

Drappa

One Too Many
Oh, and not sure you'll be there, but we found the most amazing creperie in Montmartre, which was full of locals and had such great crepes, both for dinner and dessert. It's called Creperie Lepic Assiette on 35 Rue Lepic. I would have eaten there every day had we discovered it earlier, and it was really reasonably priced, too!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Tishkaminx - I hope you and your Mum have a fantastic and safe trip there - no doubt you'll both have a fantastic time.

Puzzicato said:
Too eager to get to the sparklies? :p

They had about a hundred different colours of leather, with choices of unlined, lined with silk/wool/cashmere/fur and then there were the different lengths, different textures etc etc.

Ha - funny you should say that but I remember pointing out to my husband (well we weren't married at that stage) which ones I liked and which ones I didn't - I think it worked as he picked out a gorgeous and simple ring from Tiffany's unaided a few months later!!!!!!!!!

MissHannah

One Too Many
For such a big city I found Paris really relaxing - not as hectic as London by any means. We were staying in St Germain, not far from the Pont Neuf, and it was a lovely area to just stroll around at night - tons of street cafés and restaurants and intriguing side streets. We hardly visited any tourist spots, we just wandered aimlessly for a few days and loved it!

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I went to Paris in early July with a friend as an extended part of my 18th birthday celebrations. As it was my first visit we did all of the touristy things but now that that's out of my system, when I go back it should be totally different as I hate being a tourist. I think we did pretty well with avoiding being tourists because we were asked for directions!

It was VERY to identify some American tourists who decided that full-on hiking gear would be suitable for a city.

I just wore plain summer dresses, quiet florals and linen trousers with dolly shoes or sandals. We walked 'till we dropped but that's part of the experience, so though I wore wedges I'd suggest bringing some flats with you.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Drappa and MissHannah your pics are both so lovely!

okay, I'm starting a list!

Martelli Gloves shop (which does not come up in google, though a girl NAMED Paris Martelli does)
Creperie Lepic Assiette on 35 Rue Lepic.

Where else? Fashion-y things? I have a guide book for the educational stuff, but I would hate to miss some must see (maybe must-buy?) fashions!

We really should start location guides... After all, plenty of NYC/London/LA/Berlin folks out there!

As for why dress up - I grew up in a tourist destination, and I can tell you, it makes a difference if you look like you've just fallen off the turnip truck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points