Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris fashion advice..thankyou

Drappa

One Too Many
Thank you Lauren and SugarKitten!

And another fan of Creperie Lepic Assiette, how exciting!
Also, there is a chain of Ice Cream parlours called Amorino that is wonderful, and another one called Berthillon. Make sure you take your mom to one of these, the ice cream is outstanding. Can you tell we spent a lot of time eating...

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
Places to visit in Paris

I went to Paris in February with my boyfriend, it was very cold and snowing so hats, scarves and boots were essential wear. We went to Retromobile which is their biggest Classic Car Show, we also went to the Antique markets of which there are many and it will take you all day to walk around them, I would highly recommend a visit. Take the Metro to Porte de Clignancourt and follow the tourists.
There's also an antique/flea market on Sunday's near the Porte de Vanves Metro, great for a Sunday morning stroll.

Photo taken by my boyfriend, please excuse the location, we are restoring a Peugeot J7 van at the moment, and they seemed to be popular with the dealers!
CIMG2835.jpg

CIMG2825.jpg

CIMG2823.jpg

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I went to Paris a couple years ago during late March, so it was cold and rained a lot.

My mom made up some little wool suits, mostly in tweed that she wore with sweaters and a rain coat, and looked great. She tried to wear cute shoes and regretted it, I was the one in the sensible old lady shoes, so my feet were in good shape. Despite the ugly shoes, I still got asked out a few times, so I guess comfortable is OK, even in Paris.

I wore no vintage actually. I wore mostly pants, because of the cold, I had one pair charcoal grey wool, one black wool, one microfiber in black. I brought a pair of beige pants, big mistake, they got wet and showed, and I had to go back and change. I had a pair of dark jeans too. I also had a black straight skirt and a green print dress. I brought my black rain coat, when I walked around one guy asked me if I was off to work.

I would keep the colors more neutral if you don't want to stick out, I wore my pink cardigan over the grey slacks once, to go get cafe au lait two doors away, and everyone I passed turned and stared at me like I was completely crazy. I don't know if it was the pink or that I wasn't bundled up like everyone else, but it wasn't cold or raining that morning.

I found that Parisians were presentable, but not fashion plates. Maybe they just didn't want to brave the cold and the rain in their best gear. There were exceptions of course, like this cute elderly couple that were seated near us at dinner, her black dress had a great organza collar, his suit was immaculate. I saw a few frighteningly chic ladies by the boutiques, but not so much everywhere else. I guess when it rains, the jeans come out. Oddly, I also saw a few women in grey wool shorts, in the rain, with heels or boots. I guess that was trending at the time, but they looked awkward (and I am sure they were locals). Everyone else mostly still looked better than locals from home in Los Angeles (i.e. no flip flops, Uggs or Crocs!).

One thing I noticed is that the men wore their pants and jeans at a normal waist level and with a normal fit, none of this super low and baggy or skin tight stuff. It was very refreshing.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
poggleberry said:
I went to Paris in February with my boyfriend, it was very cold and snowing so hats, scarves and boots were essential wear. We went to Retromobile which is their biggest Classic Car Show, we also went to the Antique markets of which there are many and it will take you all day to walk around them, I would highly recommend a visit. Take the Metro to Porte de Clignancourt and follow the tourists.
There's also an antique/flea market on Sunday's near the Porte de Vanves Metro, great for a Sunday morning stroll.

Photo taken by my boyfriend, please excuse the location, we are restoring a Peugeot J7 van at the moment, and they seemed to be popular with the dealers!
CIMG2835.jpg

CIMG2825.jpg

CIMG2823.jpg
How pretty you look all bundled up. I don't think I look so cute when I am bundled up myself.
Where did you take the pictures of all those beautiful clothes?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Those clothes are soooooo beautiful - particularly the pink and grey chiffon one - I could really see Grace Kelly in it.

I have to say that I have never found Parisienne ladies to be fashion plates either - I can't recall seeing anyone and thinking "wow". I find that the ladies down in the South of France dress better - they have a kind of laid back style....

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
Land-O-LakesGal said:
How pretty you look all bundled up. I don't think I look so cute when I am bundled up myself.
Where did you take the pictures of all those beautiful clothes?

Thanks Land-O-LakesGal for the lovely comments, I do try my best to look stylish, but it wasn't always that way.
When I first went to Paris in the early 90's with my boyfriend I was a student and have photo's of me wearing a big purple Puffa Gillet!!! (that's how I got my nickname, I looked like a Poggleberry).

The photo's were taken in one of the Antique markets along the Rue des Rosiers, there are so many I can't remember the name. Here's some more photo's.
CIMG2827.jpg

CIMG2829.jpg

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
The pink/grey! the animal print trench! Oh my poggleberry...

How were the prices? I would guess insane, but I would love you if you told me otherwise...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Veronica said:
I think I can give you a few tips ^^

Just keep your wardrobe simple, comfy and chic, choose basics and add you own touch with accessories :

For exemple : trench coat, denim jean (dark blue)

The real secret of Parisiennes is not clothes but Attitude.

Totally agree with Veronica:eusa_clap ... and she should know, she is French! ;)

Do yourself a favor and wear a trench coat and be done with the whole darn thing. Wear it with dark leggings, or dark jeans or a dress, wear accessories and move on ... you will not be burdened with the "what to wear problem" ... with all that clothes nuisance :mad: ( i hate it) ... and you are free to enjoy Paris looking like a real Parisienne!

Have a lovely trip!

trench-coats-collage.jpg

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Tourbillion said:
I would keep the colors more neutral if you don't want to stick out, I wore my pink cardigan over the grey slacks once, to go get cafe au lait two doors away, and everyone I passed turned and stared at me like I was completely crazy.

I did some Paris shopping today- I got 3 pashminas- fuchsia pink bright teal and royal purple. I'm a bright winter colouring so I have to have brights- but I'll be teaming them with black. I also laid down £130.00 that I really can't afford on the most amazing dress by Phase Eight- royal purple floral satin, with full skirt, matching belt and gorgeous V neck line. I'd post a pic but I can't work out how:eusa_doh:

Drappa

One Too Many
Tishkaminx said:
I did some Paris shopping today- I got 3 pashminas- fuchsia pink bright teal and royal purple. I'm a bright winter colouring so I have to have brights- but I'll be teaming them with black. I also laid down £130.00 that I really can't afford on the most amazing dress by Phase Eight- royal purple floral satin, with full skirt, matching belt and gorgeous V neck line. I'd post a pic but I can't work out how:eusa_doh:
Is it this one? If so, it's lovely!
http://www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/warehouse/Dresses/Sasha-Dress/201089600

Also, don't be worried about wearing colour, I wore bright colours and no one blinked. I also didn't see a single French woman in a trench coat, even though I was looking out for it.

Mojito

One Too Many
Last visit was back in June when we stayed for a few nights in a fabulous hotel in Montparnasse and then moved to an apartment in the Palais Royal with a couple of friends...fantastic location, and between that and the metro stops being so close we were able to zap everywhere.

It was extremely warm, so the most I ever wore was white linen pants with a cardigan. The rest of the time it was knee length skirts and camis/tank tops, taking a cardi in case we didn't get back until late.

Erm...except for the night I wore an 1820s tailcoat, a waistcoat, reproduction drop-front pants, opera hat and tricolour sash to a production of "Les Miserables" with a group of fellow French Lit enthusiasts.

Dittoing the comments about the Parisians - they were absolutely lovely, and extremely patient with my French. I noticed that if I addressed them in French, they would do me the courtesy of responding in the same language...but if I so much as hesitated (often just because I was running a phrase through the translator in my head), they would immediately swtich to English to be helpful.

The locals were tickled to death when we went for a tour of the residential areas investigating sites connected with the 1830 Revolution and Hugo and Balzac novels - we were asked repeatedly about the tricolour sashes, and they were amused and delighted when we explained the interest in French literature and history.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
I've lived in France and French is basically my life...

My suggestions, from what I've seen and from compliments I've gotten (or at least not being thought an American) would be :

1) Scarves. But don't wear them like we would wear them. Make it as nonchalant as possible, as if you just threw it on even though you probably spent forever trying to get it "right." The French are all about these sort of contradictions.

2) Modesty. Despite the way it seems, French women are actually quite modest in public and will look down upon you if you are not. The point is the allure...you never want to show too much because that ruins the magic of the female body.

3) Sandals/Shorts/Short skirts. Never.

4) I see a lot of combinations of things that you don't think should go together. Like a victorian style shirt with something completely 80s (not my style but hey). This doesn't mean that you should change who you are but it's something to think about to make your own.

5) Things that have an antique feel to them work well. Velvet coats, tapestry jackets, and things with delicate couture details and simplicity will win you admiration and Frenchy points.

6) Get more dressed up than you would normally. I've read that if someone wears, for example, sweats to go to a bakery, it's considered an insult to the baker because you're not looking your best for him.

7) Watch the socks, athletic shoes. Black socks if you must. Athletic shoes if you want them to speak English to you.

Enjoy the magic. It's the one place that makes me brilliantly happy.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
Thanks- we are staying near Monmatre! My Mum especially is looking to sample some crepes.

There's a great creperie near Montmartre...crêpes for your entrée, dinner, and dessert.

AWESOME.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Mojito said:
I noticed that if I addressed them in French, they would do me the courtesy of responding in the same language...but if I so much as hesitated (often just because I was running a phrase through the translator in my head), they would immediately swtich to English to be helpful.

Just to be contrary, last time I was in France I found the complete opposite! I'd put on my best accent and say something, they'd reply with, 'Oh, you're English!' and start talking back to me in English! Bah! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21