Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Park service hat reuse?

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Aside from the official markings on the band, why can't you use them as they are?

If the shapes do not suit your tastes, the conversion corral exists to discuss remaking hats and is a wealth of info which has helped me redo several hats.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?22306-The-Conversion-Corral

As to specifics of this type of hat, you can look at the link to the related thread

Corpshttp://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?16998-Now-Forming!-the-Campaign-Hat-Corps

You might consider making an earlier version of a campaign hat with the felt hat which might be more to your tastes.

As to the straw one, I would make or buy a nice custom band for it and use it, but a soak; reblock and some reshaping might be possible. The people who would know will be sure to notice if you post in those threads.

Good luck and share photos!

Fed

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
With the felt hat you can put in a center or diamond crease & loose front pinches, give the brim a slight dip front & back & add a fairly wide ribbon( brown I think goes best with khaki) & you've got yourself a good, no, a damn good outdoor hat. I think they look great, even better with a stampede cord/chin strap........just what the doctor ordered for those windy autumnal days ahead of us.
And if you don't want to keep the leather band, you'll have no problems selling it.

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
With the felt hat you can put in a center or diamond crease & loose front pinches, give the brim a slight dip front & back & add a fairly wide ribbon( brown I think goes best with khaki) & you've got yourself a good, no, a damn good outdoor hat. I think they look great, even better with a stampede cord/chin strap........just what the doctor ordered for those windy autumnal days ahead of us.
And if you don't want to keep the leather band, you'll have no problems selling it.

All very good options.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
? And I know that I cannot wear the NPS hat band,
e7e0a44a1b1df8a581c16a581c6b06d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This subject was covered a few years ago here. I bought one off ebay and was wondering if I could legally wear it. One of our resident Lawyers, Atticus Finch, said that it is legal to wear the hat as long as one isn't trying to impersonate the office it represents. No difference than some people wearing Tee shirts or Ball caps which have NYPD on them. I've seen lots of people wear those without a question. People wear G-1s and A-2 jackets with original logos and patches too. Also not illegal. Just don't try to pass yourself off as an actual Park Service Ranger when you wear it. I wouldn't wear a khaki shirt with one just to make sure no one thought you were trying. Now keep in mind that some people may not take kindly to you wearing one, but that doesn't make it illegal.

If the law has changed on that someone please update the info.

fedoralover

Last edited:

Herzen

One of the Regulars
I'm not against wearing them as they are, I guess I just wasn't sure if that was done. Any ideas what kind of bands/ribbons would look good with these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humanshoes

One Too Many
DSC00885.jpg DSC00886.jpg DSC00887.jpg

Love those park service hats. I steamed out the old bash on this Resistol 3X Beaver and gave it a classic center dent with front pinches. Added a 1" brown ribbon and it has a new life as one of my "go to" hats. I, personally, would add a narrow 3/8" ribbon to the straw and wear it just like it is.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I have a NPS hat that I wear when doing outdoor stuff. I would never wear to a state or Federal park
USNPS2_zps6a9fa094.jpg

I also have a Florida Toll Takers shirt that I like but I never wear it when I am in Florida
20150503_163749_zps9uyivt9d.jpg

Contexts is everything. You having worked for the NPS I think could wear it about without a problem. I am sure that Major Mike could make you a real nice custom leather band

Jeff

Jeff

Herzen

One of the Regulars
View attachment 34712 View attachment 34713 View attachment 34714

Love those park service hats. I steamed out the old bash on this Resistol 3X Beaver and gave it a classic center dent with front pinches. Added a 1" brown ribbon and it has a new life as one of my "go to" hats. I, personally, would add a narrow 3/8" ribbon to the straw and wear it just like it is.

That is a fantastic hat! Mine are both newer Strattons, so I don't know much about the quality of the felt or how well it would take to reshaping. They are, as has been noted elsewhere, quite stiff.

Thank you all for the input!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This subject was covered a few years ago here. I bought one off ebay and was wondering if I could legally wear it. One of our resident Lawyers, Atticus Finch, said that it is legal to wear the hat as long as one isn't trying to impersonate the office it represents. No difference than some people wearing Tee shirts or Ball caps which have NYPD on them. I've seen lots of people wear those without a question. People wear G-1s and A-2 jackets with original logos and patches too. Also not illegal. Just don't try to pass yourself off as an actual Park Service Ranger when you wear it. I wouldn't wear a khaki shirt with one just to make sure no one thought you were trying. Now keep in mind that some people may not take kindly to you wearing one, but that doesn't make it illegal.

If the law has changed on that someone please update the info.

fedoralover

I just wear mine upside down on an OR. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot